Daily MDR menus for recent Norwegian Jade Greek Isles sailings?

mikeerdas

Does anyone have photos of daily MDR menus (dinner and/or lunch) from recent Norwegian Jade sailings? Will be doing the 7 night Greek Isles one based in Venice soon. Would also be interested in seeing the Room Service menu and Le Bistro.

Also, are there any non-seafood dishes, or desserts, in the MDR--or even in the buffet or other non-upcharge restaurants--you really enjoyed / looked forward to?

Would also like to know which nights are formal so my wife and I can avoid the MDR.

You'll be getting on as we are getting off. :)

This is from a sister ship, should be similar http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30096540&postcount=5

No formal nights on NCL ships, Dress up or not.

Thanks Northern Bear. And "Yea!" on the no formal nights. Not to get into a debate. I know some families and couples look forward to, and deeply value, formal nights as Something Special they don't ordinarily get a chance to do.

But while we enjoy Royal Caribbean, we dread formal nights. Golf shirt, nice jeans, and shoes is the only concession I'm willing to make on vacation at an MDR. Those who dress down further, while they make look out of place, wouldn't ruin my vacation.

But for those times we've been on Royal Caribbean sailings in the MDR, dressing down seemed such a scandal that I imagined snide comments were being made about those diners by the Tuxedo crowd. Similar to what Maggie Smith's character on Downton Abbey might say in reaction to being repulsed with someone--but probably crafted with a lot less wit or laughable out-of-touchness. To quote: "What are week-ends?" :-)

And the snootiness seemed to spill out and over into other common areas of the ship on those evenings. This is again not a dig on all, or even most, of the folks who enjoy formal nights. But there were enough snobbish-type folks who made things feel uncomfortable. Still love Royal Caribbean and will sail with them in the future if they have the best itinerary within our budget (always more important to me and my wife than a ship's amenities).

Having now done 7 night sailings on Norwegian, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean, I find the products to be similar. With Royal Caribbean having more upscale decor and a subset of customers who seem to delight in sneering at others. For those who haven't sailed Royal Caribbean and wouldn't dream of wearing uncomfortable clothes while on holiday, I recommend either a table for two or skipping the MDR on those nights. :-)

Can anyone confirm if these menus are very similar to what to expect on the Jade?

Thanks for the sister ship menus. Does anyone have recent photos of MDR menus for the 7 night Greek Isles cruise on the Norwegian Jade specifically? Also would love to see a current Room Service menu.

Also, in the MDR on the Jade, was there any special dish you liked--whether it was a desert, something ethnic specialty they make mostly for the crew, etc--that surprised you and that you really enjoyed? Thinking of things like the wonderful chocolate hot lava cake they serve in the MDR on the Carnival Dream. That was something special I may not have paid attention to if not for researching here on CC.

For entrees, I know that on at least some Royal Caribbean ships, they seem to make many Indian dishes for the crew and also serve these in the MDR. And my wife and I both love Indian food.

Just wondering what other nice food or dining surprises we might find on the Jade that folks may want to pass on. The kind of thing you wish you'd known earlier on your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking one last time for menus specific to the Norwegian Jade and also any last minute dining advice for the Jade's 7 day greek isles itinerary. Sure I'll enjoy what's on offer but also like to take away special tips from CC, etc.

Had a couple of decent curries in the buffet. They do a German 'oompah band' lunch on the first sea day with lots of German dishes and some specialty beers - very nice. The Jazz Brunch in Le Bistro ($15 pp) is very good also. Had a good boeuf bourginonne in the buffet as well.

Had a couple of decent curries in the buffet. They do a German 'oompah band' lunch on the first sea day with lots of German dishes and some specialty beers - very nice. The Jazz Brunch in Le Bistro ($15 pp) is very good also. Had a good boeuf bourginonne in the buffet as well.

Thanks Steve. Happy to hear about curries in the buffet. And the German lunch/band sounds great as well--and unexpected. Do you think they still do this for the first Sea Day on the Jade's Greek Isles itinerary?

Certainly had 1 German lunch on our back-to-back in 2011 and also on our Holy Land cruise in 2012. I really cannot remember whether there were 2 on our B2B (too many martinis in the intervening time!)

Our souvenir Freestyle Dailies are all boxed up during our building works so I cannot check.

Archived