Question about visas

mornac

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else here that has an Australian passport has done a Baltic cruise from Southampton? We are booked on one next year visiting Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia and Germany and I am trying to find out if I need visas for any of these countries. I have been told Russia I don't need to get my own if I do a ship tour, the cruise liner arranges that one, but not sure on the rest of the countries.

How did you go? Did you need any other documents?

Thanks in advance

V

Can't help re other ports, but for St Petersburg you don't need a visa if you take a tour organised by the ship or by a local tour operator. Cruise lines do give out either misleading or simply untrue information about this.

A visa is only needed if you wish to explore by yourselves (such as by taxi or public transport).

Check out Alla Tours, SPB Tours, TJ Tours, Best Guides, Red October, Denrus & others on this forum & on the web.

All are highly recommended & offer a more personal service & smaller groups/vehicles than ships' tours & generally a little cheaper too.

JB :)

There is an Australian government website with information on lots of countries around the world (http://smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Index). Their advice is that only the country you intend to visit can give you current information about its specific visa requirements.

But they also talk about the Schengen Convention (http://smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/TravelBulletins/Europe_Schengen) and all but one of the countries you are visiting are party to it. I'll copy three relevant sentences: "Generally, Australian tourists planning to spend less than a total of 90 days within a 180 day period in the 'Schengen area' do not require visas for countries which are parties to the Schengen Convention" and "It is important to get your passport stamped when entering the Schengen area. The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could result in a fine or create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities throughout the Schengen area".

Russia is not a party to the convention. As has already been mentioned if you are taking a tour organised by your ship or a registered tour guide you will not need a visa.

Michelle.

Archived