Only 1 person required for check-in

Ok, not a cruise, but it is a Thomson flight we are doing for a land holiday, just got our tickets (well, 3 pieces of printed A4 anyway), but i have just noticed the following line under flights:

We're doing our bit to reduce queue times when departing from the UK and travelling on Thomson Airways. Only one person from your party needs to check-in, provided all passengers are travelling on the same booking reference. All that is needed is for one member of the party to bring all passports and baggage to the check-in desk and vouch for their contents.

I know in the past we have all had to queue up, think i might drop the wife off with the bags to check-in this time, while i go and park the car and get the bus back, should save us a good half hour that way.

Wonder how this will work with hand luggage, as they sometimes weigh bags that look heavy, as you can now obviously leave some with the other other passengers.

I`m maybe not reading into this properly but how is say one person checking in a party of 4 going to reduce queuing times.How many arms and what size of muscles is the one person going to need to drag 4 seats of luggage to check in,hand over passports,load 4 sets of luggage etc etc :confused:

Now if myself and Mrs Jim The Scot are at check in together we are quicker I would say than myself or Mrs Jim The Scot on our own

I`m maybe not reading into this properly but how is say one person checking in a party of 4 going to reduce queuing times.How many arms and what size of muscles is the one person going to need to drag 4 seats of luggage to check in,hand over passports,load 4 sets of luggage etc etc :confused:

Now if myself and Mrs Jim The Scot are at check in together we are quicker I would say than myself or Mrs Jim The Scot on our own

Firstly, it'll make queues look shorter, if you are taking half the people out of it, also, for me, it will speed us up as i can drop my wife off at the airport with the bags, she can check in while i park the car, ok, it won't reduce her queueing time by much (although the checkin clerk might be quicker dealing with 1 person rather than 2-4), so when i get back from the airport car park 20 minutes later, hopefully we'll all be checked in, this is the point we would then normally start queueing.

The information that only one person was required to check in all luggage/passports/tickets was on our e-tickets for our cruise on the Majesty last October. Didn't see anyone loaded with the required documents and lots of luggage.:eek: Human nature will make most people stay together and share the queueing then the excitement of heading off on holiday.:D:)

Firstly, it'll make queues look shorter, if you are taking half the people out of it, also, for me, it will speed us up as i can drop my wife off at the airport with the bags, she can check in while i park the car, ok, it won't reduce her queueing time by much (although the checkin clerk might be quicker dealing with 1 person rather than 2-4), so when i get back from the airport car park 20 minutes later, hopefully we'll all be checked in, this is the point we would then normally start queueing.

Will make the queues look shorter but dont see it speeding up the process.When me and mrs are at check in the clerk only deals with one person the mrs as she takes care of all the paperwork regards passports etc.All i do is lump the cases on for weighing..I just dont see it

I can see the benefits for yourself regards dropping wife off at airport then going to park the car.

So funny made me laugh and could just see my husband checking in on his own would not be a happy man he hates the whole process :D

I can just see ms magot checking in all our stuff while I leisurely go and park the car!?;):)...no hope! methinks:)

Depends on your airport i suppose.

Where we fly from, you can drop off about 30 seconds walk from the terminal, parking though is a good 5 minute bus ride, with often a 20 minute wait for the bus, longer if it's busy, can be cold and wet as there is only small shelters around the car park, no terminal building, so yes, she would be happy waiting in a queue inside in the warm with a few bags while i have to treck about a cold and wet car park, looking for a space to park, then hanging around for a bus, suppose that's the fun of smaller airports.

Before they allowed this, i would still have to drop her off, and she would sit there and wait for me (she could queue up, but nothing more annoying than seengn people arrive and join others in front of you, we don't like it, so we don't do it), at least now she can do soem work lol

So funny made me laugh and could just see my husband checking in on his own would not be a happy man he hates the whole process :D
Same here :rolleyes: That's why we are cross about them changing the night before check in. We did this last time and although it was my idea to stay the night at Gatwick, DH now goes about recommending it to all and sundry as if it was his idea :D

I can just see ms magot checking in all our stuff while I leisurely go and park the car!?;):)...no hope! methinks:)
We have a coach every hour from Oxford to Gatwick - brilliant :) It drops you off at the terminal, saves all that messing about with parking and getting buses to the airport ;):D

I had forgotten about this. We all checked in together and it looked as though most people did the same. Agree it can be useful if one half goes to park the car and the other can check in, as long as you can get close enough to departures to get the cases in single handed - our local airport has a barrier before the drop off point and you have to pay to exit.

Thinking back, they checked our passport photos on check in so not sure how they could do that if there was only one person present at that time!

I had forgotten about this. We all checked in together and it looked as though most people did the same. Agree it can be useful if one half goes to park the car and the other can check in, as long as you can get close enough to departures to get the cases in single handed - our local airport has a barrier before the drop off point and you have to pay to exit.

Think our airport charges a quid for 30 minutes at the drop off point, so i will park there, load the cases onto a trolley, help my wife with them into the terminal building, she can then go and queue up, while i go get rid of the car, see how we get on.

Thinking back, they checked our passport photos on check in so not sure how they could do that if there was only one person present at that time!

I suppose, as they check your passport at Security, and again before you board the plane, there is no real need for it to be checked at check in as well, after all, airlines like Easyjet do online check-in, where you print your own boarding pass, so you don't see anyone until you get to security in this situation.

Archived