CCL transfer or taxi??

ShanteS

I know you all see these types of questions fairly often here but I've done some research on the topic and I just wanted some opinions. I'll be getting to San Juan with my daughter (23 months at the time of the cruise) the day of our cruise around noon (the ship sails at 10pm). Anyway, I've been going back and forth on how to get us from the airport to the cruise terminal. Some say taxis are faster and cheaper but I don't think that'll be the case for us. Since she'll still be under 2 she can ride on my lap and a round trip for us on the ship transfer bus will be $30 plus tips. Taxi will be $20.50 plus $1 for bags (2 suitcases and possibly a backpack for me and a small one for her) both ways.

After reading plenty of stories here about cruisers being scammed I don't think it's really worth it. I'd hate to have to argue with a cabbie in front of her. Not to mention I will not be traveling with her carseat so I'm thinking the CCL transfer on the bus would be better. But at the same time the last time I cruised out of San Juan in 2007 we used the CCL transfer and had to wait for quite awhile outside in the heat before we were able to board the bus to go to the terminal. I would HATE for this to happen with a toddler.

So what do you guys and gals think? Ship transfer or taxi?

I know you all see these types of questions fairly often here but I've done some research on the topic and I just wanted some opinions. I'll be getting to San Juan with my daughter (23 months at the time of the cruise) the day of our cruise around noon (the ship sails at 10pm). Anyway, I've been going back and forth on how to get us from the airport to the cruise terminal. Some say taxis are faster and cheaper but I don't think that'll be the case for us. Since she'll still be under 2 she can ride on my lap and a round trip for us on the ship transfer bus will be $30 plus tips. Taxi will be $20.50 plus $1 for bags (2 suitcases and possibly a backpack for me and a small one for her) both ways.

After reading plenty of stories here about cruisers being scammed I don't think it's really worth it. I'd hate to have to argue with a cabbie in front of her. Not to mention I will not be traveling with her carseat so I'm thinking the CCL transfer on the bus would be better. But at the same time the last time I cruised out of San Juan in 2007 we used the CCL transfer and had to wait for quite awhile outside in the heat before we were able to board the bus to go to the terminal. I would HATE for this to happen with a toddler.

I am sure that there will be other people going to the pier at the same time as you from the airport. More people in the cab will cut down on the cost. You do not have to haggle with them about the price for the taxi since the prices are all set. Ask at the stand to get a receipt saying what you were quoted. My vote would be for taxi.

-Kristi

The first time I sail from Puerto Rico I took the CCL transfer and you are right, waiting for the bus to fill up in the heat stinks!

The last time I cruised from San Juan I came in the night before. I took a taxi from the airport to my hotel at night, alone. No problems, the rate is set and the men at the taxi stand will tell you how much you'll pay before you even get in the cab. I also took a cab the next day from my hotel to the cruise terminal, no problems.

Normally, I would say taxi, but if you are concerned with the lack of a car-seat, a large bus would probably be safer.

the taxi we rode in was actually a van. And the lines to get on the shuttle were awful, so glad we didn't have to wait in line for that-I vote for taxi.

Archived