Fly in NOLA day before and stay day of... Need a car?

rene194215

We are flying in on a Friday for a cruise leaving Sat. So we will have a good chunk of the day to explore. We are going to be staying in a hotel close to the Port, I think maybe the Spring Hill Suites. Then when we return on Thursday, we are going to explore further and leave for home on Friday, leaving us some time as well to explore Friday. (Not 100% sure of the hotel yet here)

My question, can you get around NO without a car? Is there good public transport? And better question, WHAT NOT TO MISS SEEING!!!! Ii know the french quarter. I honestly do not know a lot about NO. Please help!!!!

Thank you in advance!!

I wouldn't rent a car because of the parking prices. It would be $25-$30 to park at your hotel, and then pay by the hour parking in the French Quarter parking lots. Taxis are everywhere and the best option, but you can walk to most places. A lot of people will tell you to take the streetcar, but that depends on where you are going. Look on Trip Advisor for ideas on what to do.

Depending on the hotel, you might be right across the parking lot from a street car that will take you right down into the Quarter.

Things to not miss:

Cafe Du Monde

Everything else.

We have been vacationing in new orleans for the last 10 years, and cruises were a recent addition to that cycle, and we have not ran out of things to see or do.

Now one of our favorite things to do is see if there is a ship in port on the days we will be there and get up early and wait for it to come up the river to dock early in the morning, then enjoy the quarter until it sails away. If we are sailing then we use the time after it arrives to hit up cafe dumonde (when there is not a crowd at 6 am), then shop a little bit before going back to the hotel and packing up and heading to the port early.

If You are staying at the Springhill on St Joseph st., the streetcar is a good option. You can walk about 4 blocks on St Joseph to st Charles Avenue and catch the streetcar. From there you have a couple of options:

Go out St Charles Avenue, past all the old homes on the old oak tree lines avenue, it will take you past Loyola and Tulane Universities. From that area you can walk and tour safely at your leisure through the gargen district.

or

Take the streetcar towards downtown. It will take you downtown (Canal Street) and from there you can access any bus or any other streetcar line.

The thing to remember is that a daily pass for NOLA transportation is $3 per person. If you pay per leg it is $1.25. So when you get on for your first trip, just buy a daily pass, it will save you lots.

Audubon Zoo is nice, Cafe DuMonde and Jackson Square is not to be missed. The older I get the more I love NOLA.

Archived