Best Ruins from Cozumel? AND private vs. ship for Cozumel

CruisingGatorGirl

Which ruins would you recommend to see that you can access form Cozumel?

We are big history buffs and enjoyed the ruins in Europe. Where should we go to see the best or most impressive ruins?

Also,

Would we be best to stick with the ship? I have heard that if the seas are rough, the ferry cannot get back? Therefore do most stick with cruise for excursions?

If you are going to the mainland I would only do the tour through the ship - the opportunities for a transportation issue the delay your return and cause you to miss the ship :eek: are too many for me to gamble on a private tour operator. We've enjoyed the ruins in Tulum but have heard from friends that Coba is better; both will be a long and hot day. Good luck! :)

I agree if you go to mainland go with the ship as the trip takes the whole time you are in port and if there was any delays they would wait for you. The ruins on Cozumel are not very impressive. JMO

I would not bother going to the mainland if you are here by a cruise. It is a long hot day and you get very little time at the ruins, like less than an hour. Rent a car and go see our smaller ruins, check out the beaches on the East side, and drive around the Island. If you go to the local ruins, be sure to take bug spray. Hope you enjoy your visit to our beautiful Island

PattyCake, I agree with you, your island is beautiful! We were able to go the east side last time we were there and all I can say is WOW!

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I am trying to decide what to do next time. My husband is taking a motorcycle tour and that leaves me alone to do something. I love shopping and cooking. I am really not a beach person although I love looking at the beach. I was looking at Salsa excursion but is there anything local I can do as a single person? Thanks and sorry OP

I do not think I am allowed to put links on here but...google Cooking Class Cozumel. There are several good ones, and Josifina seems to lead the pack. I would contact her. Have fun...I am leaving here on the Paradise on the 27th, better then flying for my summer visit w my kids.

We have done the European cruises and I am a frustrated archeologist....so, cruising for me is a chance to see ruins around the world, that I'd not otherwise have a chance to see. LOVE Europe.

We've been to both Tulum and Coba. Tulum is a walk through, small and pretty complete on a beautiful bluff overlooking the ocean. Coba is huge, only partially excavated and magnificent, in the middle of the forest. It is probably hotter than Coba, being inland. You are still allowed to climb the pyramid in Coba... my understanding is they will soon not let tourists climb up. The ball courts are there, the city was huge. If it were me, I'd choose Coba every time. It was hot, the drive was long and relatively boring BUT... when are you ever going to be able to climb a Mayan pyramid??? Both will satisfy the history buff, but Coba was more interesting to us. You can google them both to see what they are like.

As for taking a ships excursion or not... don't even hesitate, take the one offered by the ship. If anything happens (delayed) and you are on a ship sponsored excursion, you'll be okay. Too many variables to not take the ship sponsored trip.

It was amazing... have fun. Climbing to the top of that pyramid was a chore and we were dripping sweat (September), but I'd do it again in a heartbeat - what a view!. Now I've climbed down into a pyramid (Egypt) and climbed up a pyramid (Coba)... two bucket list items checked off!

(oh yea, I trained for a month on a stair stepper so I could climb relatively easily.. I am a "woman of a certain age". :o:D)

Archived