Paid In Full But Passenger Didn't Make Embarkation

DJ_Frustration

The reason the 2nd person cannot make the trip is not covered under the insurance I purchased. When you live in NYC and change jobs, most employers do not give you benefits or paid holidays until 90 days of employment. Realistically you don't have many holidays accrued after this short period so unfortunately my SO won't be able to make our cruise.

It is not full payment time yet, but it is fast approaching and I'd still like to travel on this cruise due to the great deal I got and the fact that some other friends are going. I have no problem paying in full for both of us and then losing the $ for her fare (especially since it was going to be my treat anyways). Since the cabin price for a single is $475 more expensive than the total cabin price we got on our Golden Princess 7-day BB GTY ($1,169 total) I'd like to "know" what my options are. Cruise Critic is the best forum for obtaining answers (mostly from people who've been in the same situation) and everyone's response has helped. Bottom line, has anyone had this situation (insurance aside) and had to pay anything more when you were at the embarkation counter?

Britsbest, I don't think I denigrated anyone and apologize if it seemed that way. Cheers.

The reason the 2nd person cannot make the trip is not covered under the insurance I purchased. When you live in NYC and change jobs, most employers do not give you benefits or paid holidays until 90 days of employment. Realistically you don't have many holidays accrued after this short period so unfortunately my SO won't be able to make our cruise.

It is not full payment time yet, but it is fast approaching and I'd still like to travel on this cruise due to the great deal I got and the fact that some other friends are going. I have no problem paying in full for both of us and then losing the $ for her fare (especially since it was going to be my treat anyways). Since the cabin price for a single is $475 more expensive than the total cabin price we got on our Golden Princess 7-day BB GTY ($1,169 total) I'd like to "know" what my options are. Cruise Critic is the best forum for obtaining answers (mostly from people who've been in the same situation) and everyone's response has helped. Bottom line, has anyone had this situation (insurance aside) and had to pay anything more when you were at the embarkation counter?

Britsbest, I don't think I denigrated anyone and apologize if it seemed that way. Cheers.

To ease your mind, once a double occupancy cabin is paid in full, if one passenger cancels at the last minute or is a no-show (any time the cancelling passenger is incurring a 100% penalty) there is no additional monies due from the remaining passenger. Whether or not the cancelling passenger has insurance has no bearing on the situation.

I've booked passengers on Princess for over 15 years and can assure you that the above is correct.

Last year on a Med cruise with Royal Caribean my boyfriend and I had a huge fight in Barcelona and I boarded the ship alone. I had paid for both of us and I was not charged any type of single supplement. Of course his reason for not going on the cruise was not covered by insurance so I can not speak to that subject.

I forgot to add -- where are you getting that info about the single fare being higher than 200% of the double occupancy fare?

I think you might be doing this:

You booked at an incredible low rate that is no longer available. Now that the possibility of a cancellation has popped up you've checked to see what the rate is now for a single in your category. If the dbl occ rate has increased a bunch then it might work out to look like more than twice your dbl rate. For example:

Say you booked originally at $600 p/p dbl occ ($1200 total for two)

Now when you check for a single rate on that sailing you seeing a rate of $1500.

What has happened is that the dbl rate has increased to $750 from your original booking fare of $600. With a 200% single supplement you get the $1500 rate.

If your traveling companion were to cancel today before there were any penalties and should you decide to go anyway you would indeed have to pay 200% of the dbl occ rate. But it would be 200% of the fare code/rate you were originally booked at, not the current fare as of the time the change is made. So your worst case scenario would still be $1200. They would not force you to pay 200% of today's rate.

By the way, I made a quick call to Princess and it looks like for the few number of cabins still available that the single fare is 150% of the per person dbl occ fare. I think you're wrrying about nothing. There is no way that Princess will ask for more money if your companion cancels. In fact, you may be better off canceling that person now. Have you or your TA actually called Princess to find out? For all of the typing you've done you could have had your answer (down to the penny) days ago.

I actually called the TA when I first learned of the possibility of my SO not being able to go on the cruise. The TA was the one that quoted the $1500 single rate and thats when I got concerned and wanted to find out the facts here.

From the responses to this thread, I'm fairly confident that I won't get hit with any more charges than the double occupancy rate if I were to show up to the pier alone. Since the rate I have is such a good deal, I'm sure you guys can appreciate my concern. Thanks to all those who shared their experiences as once again, Cruise Critic has proved to be an invaluable resource.

Check with your TA because if final payment hasn't been made yet, I believe that if she cancels, you'll be charged the single supplement of the ORIGINAL rate, not what the cabin might be going for now. It doesn't hurt to check and possibly save a few $$.

Something else to note is that if she cancels, you will get only the per-person onboard credit, not the full onboard credit. In other words, if you currently have $100 onboard credit, that's really for the cabin at $50pp so that you'll get only a $50 onboard credit for yourself.

Has anyone actually encountered this? I'm looking for confirmation that you don't incur additional charges (aka single suppliment).

What extra charges could there be? You both were to share a cabin and you both paid. One party didn't show up. What does Princess care? They got their money. Your friend is out, though, and won't receive any sort of refund from the cruiseline. Insurance might cover him/her ... depending upon the circumstances.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It is not full payment time yet, but it is fast approaching and I'd still like to travel on this cruise due to the great deal I got and the fact that some other friends are going. I have no problem paying in full for both of us and then losing the $ for her fare (especially since it was going to be my treat anyways).

I guess it would depend upon how much of her fare would be refundable at this late date. When I originally posted to this thread, I thought it was a situation where she just didn't show up at embarkation. If you are still within the cancellation period, I guess you're gonna need to check and see how you come out best; i.e., don't cancel her at all and let her just ride as a no show ... paying both of your fares; or cancel her, get whatever refund she is entitled to, and then get socked with a single supplement for being alone in the cabin. Since I don't know how much of a refund you could get by cancelling, and what the single supplement is on this particular sailing, it's hard to advise you. Your TA might be able to help.

But an even better solution ... isn't there someone else who could go in her place? Or, can't she talk to her new employer ... explain that she already had this trip booked and paid for ... and maybe could she take the time off without pay?

It's a sin to miss such a nice vacation just because you changed jobs ... especially when someone else is paying for you to go. :( LOL ... wanna take me? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Booked a balcony on Carnival. Informed at the time, that I may be traveling alone, if I cannot find someone to travel with me. PVP stated that was fine and charged me PP. PVP informed me to let him know, but the price should not change.

Final payment due date - PVP not in that day. Informed alternate PVP that I would be traveling alone. She was going to increase the price, until I informed her that my PVP stated that the price should not be changed. Not sure how the charges were calculated, but I eneded up paying $100 less than what my parents and aunt and uncle paid.

On board credit - received an on board credit for booking early - $221.00 - the same credit that my parents, and aunt and uncle received.

Questions????

Just ask....

I guess it would depend upon how much of her fare would be refundable at this late date. When I originally posted to this thread, I thought it was a situation where she just didn't show up at embarkation. If you are still within the cancellation period, I guess you're gonna need to check and see how you come out best; i.e., don't cancel her at all and let her just ride as a no show ... paying both of your fares; or cancel her, get whatever refund she is entitled to, and then get socked with a single supplement for being alone in the cabin. Since I don't know how much of a refund you could get by cancelling, and what the single supplement is on this particular sailing, it's hard to advise you. Your TA might be able to help.

But an even better solution ... isn't there someone else who could go in her place? Or, can't she talk to her new employer ... explain that she already had this trip booked and paid for ... and maybe could she take the time off without pay?

It's a sin to miss such a nice vacation just because you changed jobs ... especially when someone else is paying for you to go. :( LOL ... wanna take me? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I offered first!"

Since you stated that it is less expensive for you to pay for 2 than to pay for single, why can't you pay for 2 "just in case" your SO is able to go at the last minute?

Then you are not out of $475 and Princess has their full fee, everybody wins. I don't think this is moral dilema?:confused: True that you won't be spending as much on board, but not everyone spends on alcohol, gambling, etc...I rarely do. But then again, the other person is also not eating as much, using room service, etc.

Why not just ask your question(s) directly to your TA or directly to the cruise line. As they say go direct to the source.

This is a question that can very easily have different answers pending upon the various cruise lines. Each cruise line operates by their own policies.

It is also a question that any cruise line deals with on a normal basis with its cruise operation.

So talk with the experts not with us who are simply guessing at an answer.

To those of you who are speculating that this would be a way to circumvent paying a single supplement fare, you cannot just cancel for the heck of it. You have to have a reason (with third party insurance). And you have to provide lots of documentation to back of the cancellation, i.e., physician's statements, etc.

Archived