Paid In Full But Passenger Didn't Make Embarkation

DJ_Frustration

I have a question. What happens if a cabin is paid in full and one of the passengers listed on the cabin is not able to go and doesn't show up at embarkation? Does Princess hit me with a single suppliment when I board? Has anyone had this happen before?

DJ-Frustration: If you have paid for the other person and you are past final payment date and you have no insurance, then you get nothing back. If you have insurance, then you can file for a refund, if the reason for cancellation fits within the guidelines of the insurance contract. If the reason does not fit within the guidelines of the insurance contract, you are out the other person's half of the cost.

Last February, I booked my sister on a Carnival cruise after final payment date. I paid for two people, even though she was the only one in the cabin. That was the rate. I wanted her there and so I paid what was asked.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Roberta

If both passengers are paid for after final payment, there won't be any additional charges but you also won't get a refund for the other person. There won't be any single supplement since the 2nd person is already paid in full.

However, if the 2nd person backs out before final payment, you'll be charged the single supplement.

If you booked and paid for two people and one doesn't show up you are stuck with the whole tab, whoever paid for it - unless the party that did not show up has insurance - then this money will be recovered but you will still have to pay the single supplement.

Ron

If you booked and paid for two people and one doesn't show up you are stuck with the whole tab, whoever paid for it - unless the party that did not show up has insurance - then this money will be recovered but you will still have to pay the single supplement.
Ron, if the other person is already paid for at 100%, why would the 1st person have to pay a supplement? Yes, they're a single in the cabin but more than the single supplement has been paid. No?

Ron, if the other person is already paid for at 100%, why would the 1st person have to pay a supplement? Yes, they're a single in the cabin but more than the single supplement has been paid. No?

I guess it would depend on who reimburses the party that did not show up - If it doesn't come out of Princess pocket then Princess would consider it fully paid and would not charge a single supplement - sounds like a sneaky way to get out of the single supplement charge - making the insurance company pay for it!

Ron

Hmmm, I think we have more than one issue here.

If the person cancels and is able to collect under any insurance policy that he/she paid for, I don't see anything wrong with that.

The "single" OP now has what I consider a tiny moral dilemma - does OP tell Princess (assuming Princess has no knowledge of what has transpired) that

her cabin mate cancelled and pay the difference, or just say nothing.

The Insurance Company, IMHO, is not the looser here as they would pay no matter how OP handles the situation. That is why we buy insurance and the Ins. Co. agrees to take the risk for X dollars.

Hey, maybe there is no moral dilemma here afterall. Princess is not out any money, the OP has paid for their cruise, the person cancelling is taking all the risk....:) Does any of this make sense :eek:

I guess it would depend on who reimburses the party that did not show up - If it doesn't come out of Princess pocket then Princess would consider it fully paid and would not charge a single supplement - sounds like a sneaky way to get out of the single supplement charge - making the insurance company pay for it!
Interesting perspective. I hadn't even thought of that. But regardless of who pays for it, isn't the passenger who is booked and cancels the one who would put in for the insurance (unless they were a minor)? I guess that person could get the insurance money and give it back to the original passenger. Hmmm... yeah. You're right. That would be a sneaky way to get around the single supplement.

Is this really that complicated?

Surely Princess are paid for 2 people in a stateroom this is more than a single + supliment. Princess are not out of pocket (other than possible on board spending) so they are happy.

If the cancelee (?) has insurance they will be covered as long as their reason for cancelling is covered by the policy. They are not out of pocket except for excess.

The insurance company are an insurance company they will never be short of profits.

The person I feel compassion for is the person left to travel alone. I could be persuaded and as the room is paid for I'll be happy too!

Bob

last year on Celebrity Galaxy, my traveling companion was told by his doctor at the last minute he could not fly. i was going come hell or high water! i showed up alone, told the people at boarding and there was no problem. he later collected through his insurance and while i missed seeing him, i thoroughly enjoyed a concierge class cabin all to myself! :D we're meeting up again this dec. on Constellation, hope lightning does'nt strike twice! :eek:

More background. The single supplement makes the cabin more expensive than a double occupancy. Don't ask me why, but thats the way it is (or at least is for the cruise in question).

So I noticed two postings with conflicting answers. Lets keep this one going as I'm sure there are many nuances involved. However, it looks like we're down to two theories:

#1 - Since you are paid in full, you lose the money paid for the person who couldn't make it (which I paid for anyways as it was a treat).

#2 - Even though you are paid in full, when you show up to the pier you are charged a single supplement

Thoughts? Please post actual experiences instead of the way we all think it should work.

You will NOT be charged a single supplement if the second passenger in the cabin does not show up.

Did you purchase cruise insurance?? If you did and the 2nd person cancels for a covered reason, your single supplement would be paid by the insurance company and the cruise fare refunded for the 2nd passenger. If you did NOT purchase insurance then you will receive no refund at all, but you will not pay anything more.

And yes, this is ACTUAL experience.

The single supplement makes the cabin more expensive than a double occupancy. Don't ask me why, but thats the way it is (or at least is for the cruise in question).
There is a single supplement on every cruiseline I've been on and the % of the supplement varies by cruiseline. I often cruise single in a cabin and pay 80% of the 2nd passenger rate.

No experience but

If you paid for both and one does not show up you will probably lose - unless - you can talk to the pursers desk, explain the situation and they may only charge you the difference between a fully paid and the single supplement.

If you had insurance on the party that did not show and the insurance covers the reason they did not show - then - the insurance will refund his/her fee paid - Princess still has two fully paid fares - so - they should not charge you anymore.

I guess we need to know what actually did happen, what you think may happen and if you have already booked, and is it past the final mpayment date.

Ron

If the person no longer travelling is intending to make an insurance claim won't they have to cancel, rather than just not show up? If this is the case the cruise company will know that there is now only a single in the cabin.

From threads elsewhere on this board, the suggestions are that if the person is cancelling for an insured reason - their fare can be recouped from the insurers, along with the single person supplement now levied on the remaining passenger. This means that the cost of the cabin remains at half of the double occupancy rate and all other costs are met by the insurers.

More background. The single supplement makes the cabin more expensive than a double occupancy. Don't ask me why, but thats the way it is (or at least is for the cruise in question).

So I noticed two postings with conflicting answers. Lets keep this one going as I'm sure there are many nuances involved. However, it looks like we're down to two theories:

#1 - Since you are paid in full, you lose the money paid for the person who couldn't make it (which I paid for anyways as it was a treat).

#2 - Even though you are paid in full, when you show up to the pier you are charged a single supplement

Thoughts? Please post actual experiences instead of the way we all think it should work.

How about YOU telling us actual details. What cruise line, which cruise, what stateroom, price paid, single supplement etc etc then perhaps this would be a meaningful post. Mean while do not denigrate those who tried to help you.

If you can not supply these details let's NOT keep this going?

You ask for thoughts and actual experiences!!

I found the following about this poster that will give us more background.

Hello all!

You just got 4 more people; my girlfriend, a first time cruiser and I, a first time Princess cruiser plus another couple. We've booked a BD balcony guarantee and our friends are in a KK inside guarantee. Don't know if its proper to post fares here, but we got a pretty cheap one. If you're interested, just ask...

Anyways, we're excited to be going. Anyone know any "secrets" about the Golden Princess?

DJ Frustration

This is going to blow everyone out of the water, but my GF and I got a BB Balcony GUAR for 7 days on the Golden from NYC to San Juan for $584 pp with a $100 shipboard credit. My GF is a first-time cruiser and doesn't appreciate how good of a deal this is. Thoughts?
My SO may not be able to go on a cruise that we have booked in October on the Golden Princess. Since we haven't reached final payment date yet I was wondering what my options are if we wanted to substitute another person for her in our booking. Does anyone have feedback or experience with a situation like this?
As a followup, does anyone know what happens if my girlfriend can't go on the cruise past the final payment date but I still want to go? Essentially, is there a way for me to pay for her portion of the cabin and still go on this cruise?

If anyone has experience with this, please share. I'm getting worried that I'll lose the great deal that we got on this booking ($583 for BB GUAR on Golden 7 day NYC to San Juan)...

Archived