Amtrak cascades route sale!

CanWeGoYet?

Hi, hope you are around! If you could possibly help me out.

Our Seattle trip to son and daughter in law is still on but with a twist. Navy son is almost certainly going to be in San Diego when we will be in Seattle. Go figure, we are keeping our fingers crossed that the course will be canceled.

My question is about our Amtrak trip to Vancouver. Thinking about staying in Everett the night before so daughter in law doesn't have to drive us to the station. I am thinking that you are familiar with Everett. Do you know which hotel or hotels are close to the station?

As always, thank you so much for your help.

Barbara

Your best bet would probably be the Holiday Inn-Downtown Everett. It is right off I-5 at Pacific and only about 3 blocks or so from the station. Their website says they have a free shuttle available to go within 5 miles, which is good because to get to the station you have to go up a big overpass over the tracks (there is a more level back way through a park-and-ride lot, with a pedestrian bridge with elevators over the tracks, but it would be kind of hard to describe). There are a lot of old "highway" type motels on Broadway (used to be US 99 before the Interstate), but most of those look pretty skanky these days.

There isn't a whole lot to do there, so don't expect to go sightseeing. The hotel is kind of in a generally industrial area between the freeway and the tracks, but is nice itself and has a restaurant and bar. Downtown Everett in general is kind of, shall we say, gritty?

The only other one I can think of that would be decent to stay in would be the TravelLodge, which is a few blocks past the station at Pacific & Broadway. There isn't a whole lot more to do there, and it isn't self-contained like the Holiday Inn is, and doubt they'd have a shuttle.

You are awesome, thank you so much! Will look into it....it really does seem that Paul will be away but still hoping not...however, it might just be a good idea either way. Would really like to be close...and... in charge of my own time frame, in the morning!

Would love to buy you a spicy Bloody Mary!!

Barbara

Thanks zephyr17, I did book a room at the Holiday Inn Downtown Everett for the night before the trip to Vancouver . Feel much better knowing we are close by. Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated.

Barbara

Hi Zephyr17, I'm back again. Navy son's class is a go, so will be with daughter in law.

She asked what we want to do. I am sure she will have some ideas but would like to have some also. Since you know Everett, I am thinking that you are familar with Seattle.

Our interests are mostly nature related, ocean, mountains, trees...mostly by viewing, not by swimming or hiking!

We have been to Seattle for a very brief sunny stay years ago and did go to Mt. Rainer (spelling just does not look right) which was breathtaking , Pikes Market and Top of the Needle.

Sorry to be a pest, but any input would be great. Thank you, thank you!

Barbara

The Mountain Loop Highway out of Granite Falls is scenic and worth the drive and starts not far out of Marysville. Once you get to Darrington, you can go left on 530 and head back down to Arlington a bit north of Marysville, completing the "Mountain Loop." There are 13 miles of gravel road in the middle of it before Darrington. It is well maintained and you don't need anything special on it.

If you feel ambitious and have the whole day, you can do the whole "Cascade Loop" and continue on 530 north out of Darrington to the North Cascades Highway, WA-20. If you want to do North Cascades without doing the Mountain Loop and the associated gravel section, take I-5 north to 20 at Burlington. You go through North Cascades National Park over the Cascades. The area is sometimes called the "American Alps". Outside of Twisp, take WA-153 through the Methow Valley to Pateros, then head south on US 97 to Wenatchee. Take US 2 back over Stevens Pass to Everett. US 2 goes through Leavenworth, a Bavarian-themed town at the foot of the mountains with shops and dining. The whole loop is a few hundred miles, so it is long day.

Other things you could do is go up to Snoqualmie Falls, which should be pretty impressive, given this year's snowpack. If you are feeling wealthy, you can eat at the Salish Lodge overlooking the Falls. If you a "Twin Peaks" fan you can continue to North Bend and Mt. Si, which were the town and mountain "Twin Peaks". I hear the coffee shop is lousy, though.

If you want to combine mountain, ocean and trees all into one package, you could take the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton, which is 60 minutes each way. The Bremerton run crosses the Sound then goes up the Sinclair Inlet, so you have scenic shoreline fairly close on both sides for about 1/2 the trip, plus you have great view of the Seattle skyline. The scenery is the attraction on the ferry, the boats themselves look like floating DMV offices inside.

Other things could include taking the ferry to the San Juan Islands. Or taking the Mukilteo-Whidbey Island ferry and driving up the Whidbey Island and go over Deception Pass (a strait at the north end of Whidbey Island) and continuing back to I-5 at Burlington.

There are any number of other scenic drives around here.

Once again, thanks. Road trip sounds awesome but may be a little too ambitious for us. Forwarded the info to daughter in law for future outing with husband.

I definitely think the ferry will be on our list, along with pike market, the naval base and the local animal shelter. Was doing some reading about the zoo, a possibility. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

Barbara

Archived