Almost ready to book but want to make sure with the experts (you!!)

rmandmm

I have almost decided to book the Jewel for Spring Break 2014 to Mexico/Belize/Roatan. We will have our two small children (DD-3, DS-5 at time of cruise) with us and have opted for the owners suite for several reasons which include, 1) awesome bathroom, 2) lots of space, 3) butler to help with lots of room service, 4) The Haven pool/deck areas, 5) the two decks on the suite and 5) the price we were quoted was wonderful and for all the perks it seems you can't beat the suite life on NCL.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any tips specific to what I've outlined above, or questions or comments. On the ship, food, scheduling, ports, whatever. I'm so excited I want to make sure my excitement hasn't made me forget any important considerations that I would normally think of if I were in my right mind and not totally influenced by the thoughts of butler service and beaches! :)

Thank you all!!

What's to think about? :D

We had the OS on Deck 10 Starboard side last February and loved it! The ones on Deck 10 are larger inside, with a nook for the dining table, so if those are still available you might want to consider that over Deck 9. ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. I know they look bigger on the deck plan but wasn't sure.

Does anyone else have any thing I may not be considering. Thank you all! I've read so many of your posts that I feel like I know you--have to remember that you all don't know me. :o

I have been in the deck 10 OS no better suite but with 2 kids 3/5 I would consider booking an SC or Courtyard family villa. Having two separate bedrooms and bathrooms will allow for everyone to enjoy the cruise. Once the kids are sleeping in the OS living room you are restricted to the bedroom.

The master bathroom in the SC and Family Villa ever bit as nice and once the kids are sleeping in the second bedroom you still have the living room to enjoy.

I have been in the deck 10 OS no better suite but with 2 kids 3/5 I would consider booking an SC or Courtyard family villa. Having two separate bedrooms and bathrooms will allow for everyone to enjoy the cruise. Once the kids are sleeping in the OS living room you are restricted to the bedroom.

The master bathroom in the SC and Family Villa ever bit as nice and once the kids are sleeping in the second bedroom you still have the living room to enjoy.

THis was my first thought as well.

You need to think about the sleeping arrangements...if you have the OS you will have your children in ear shot through the night...if they are in the second bedroom, you may not be able to hear them as well (bring a baby monitor?). Also, you could have them sleep in the living room of the 2br. Would you want them in a bedroom with a connected bathroom (i.e. you have to watch toddlers around toilets). Although having a room that they can be in that is completely separate from the living room as would be the case in the 2BR would be a plus in my book. Also, only having one balcony to worry about may be better than having two with little kids.

I would think from a location standpoint, you would be much MUCH happier up in the courtyard rather than all the way forward on deck 9 or 10...it will just be a lot easier to get to where you will want to go and there will be a little pool right outside your door to take them swimming in providing they are out of diapers.

I think either room has its pluses and minuses...for me with two kids of that age (or if I was going with the one I have!) I would do the 2 BR haven villa. If you stick with the OS, get the one on deck 10...they are nicer IMO and you will appreciate the nook and table set up with two kids.

Let us know how the cruise goes! NCL suites are the best.

Coffeecat

First, there is no wrong choice here.

I have had the opportunity twice now to decide between Haven OS and Haven 2BR. The factors that led me to choose Haven 2BR were: 2 bathrooms. 2 bedrooms - kids bedroom is small, but the bathroom is quite large for a ship, and the kids liked having their own room. You get mommy/daddy late night romance territory (master bath/bedroom), family territory (living room) and kids room (dark, they sleep in to a decent time in the morning!).

Also you can't beat walking out of your room and the haven is RIGHT THERE. Can't stress that enough.

Only downside to 2BR is that the balcony is not impressive. But up one flight of steps in the Haven is an amazing balcony.

I would need an amazing rate on a Deluxe OS to get me out of the 2BR.

Thank you all! For some reason on this cruise the price difference is just a couple hundred dollars total, so no big deal. I was at first, though, considering only the 2br for all the reasons you said--on deck 14, so close to the pool (both are out of diapers thank goodness) and separate bedrooms.

One thing I did think was good for the OS was the free fridge drinks. I know we'd use that $200 of extra cost above in drinks. My husband drinks diet soda by the gallon and I'd like the wine. However, I guess if we get the $300 obc currently offered we could use it there.

Also, I just read that people on Jewel have had a hard time ordering Cagney's breakfast and lunch in suite. This is a huge problem to me. I recognize that everyone in the haven doesn't want to eat breakfast with my kids even if they are pretty well behaved so I was really hoping to utilize this feature. Thoughts???

Sorry for the long post. :(

Thank you all! For some reason on this cruise the price difference is just a couple hundred dollars total, so no big deal. I was at first, though, considering only the 2br for all the reasons you said--on deck 14, so close to the pool (both are out of diapers thank goodness) and separate bedrooms.

One thing I did think was good for the OS was the free fridge drinks. I know we'd use that $200 of extra cost above in drinks. My husband drinks diet soda by the gallon and I'd like the wine. However, I guess if we get the $300 obc currently offered we could use it there.

Also, I just read that people on Jewel have had a hard time ordering Cagney's breakfast and lunch in suite. This is a huge problem to me. I recognize that everyone in the haven doesn't want to eat breakfast with my kids even if they are pretty well behaved so I was really hoping to utilize this feature. Thoughts???

Sorry for the long post. :(

Having been in a few of both the OS and the Haven Villa, I personally love the OS - but for two people. Just personal preference, but with the kids I think the two bedroom is a better option, its just set up better for this, with actual doors separating the bedrooms from the living room instead of a curtain. It's also a loooong walk from the OS to the Haven, so if you think you will be utilizing it, take this into to account, especially if you want to, for example, use the facilities while the kids nap (we hardly ever use the Haven, except for the hot tub late at night). Breakfast and lunch service in either shouldn't be a problem (I know from experience that service in the lower level suites isn't always as good, but OS and Haven have always been fantastic), but your meals from Cagney's will be hotter in the Haven, as they come from directly downstairs - don't know if that is an issue for you but nobody likes cold eggs :D. The included liquor and sodas could be an issue, but soda cans are only about $2.50 from the minibar (or you could bring your own) and the wine they offer in lieu of liquor run about $30 per bottle or less, so take that into account. For balcony space, the OS wins hands down, depends what you are looking for (keep in mind that at night while underway, the side balcony is more usable, and it is directly off the living room where the kids will be asleep). If you have any specific concerns about either, don't be afraid to ask!

Robin

Having been in a few of both the OS and the Haven Villa, I personally love the OS - but for two people. Just personal preference, but with the kids I think the two bedroom is a better option, its just set up better for this, with actual doors separating the bedrooms from the living room instead of a curtain. It's also a loooong walk from the OS to the Haven, so if you think you will be utilizing it, take this into to account, especially if you want to, for example, use the facilities while the kids nap (we hardly ever use the Haven, except for the hot tub late at night). Breakfast and lunch service in either shouldn't be a problem (I know from experience that service in the lower level suites isn't always as good, but OS and Haven have always been fantastic), but your meals from Cagney's will be hotter in the Haven, as they come from directly downstairs - don't know if that is an issue for you but nobody likes cold eggs :D. The included liquor and sodas could be an issue, but soda cans are only about $2.50 from the minibar (or you could bring your own) and the wine they offer in lieu of liquor run about $30 per bottle or less, so take that into account. For balcony space, the OS wins hands down, depends what you are looking for (keep in mind that at night while underway, the side balcony is more usable, and it is directly off the living room where the kids will be asleep). If you have any specific concerns about either, don't be afraid to ask!

Robin

This was very helpful, as was everyone else. Good point on the OS deck being right where kids were sleeping...ugh! Also, the mid ship location might mean less nausea meds for DH. :) Agreed on the grossness of cold eggs as well!!

I do have to agree with everyone's thoughts about the 2-Bedroom suites, particularly those in the Haven. If those are still available for your sailing, give serious thought to that option. The master bath in these suites is even more impressive than that of the OS, in my opinion - particularly the shower. Also, having that cozy little room for the children is ideal. Truly the best option.

Also, you asked about meals from Cagney's. We were in a 2-Bedroom Haven suite in March of this year, and had breakfast from Cagney's right in the Haven on several days. The Haven Valet took care of everything. We also could have had our Butler deliver it to our suite, but being out in the sunny Haven was preferable to us.

The issue you mentioned was only occurring for a very short period of time, and was apparently the decision of the woman who was the Concierge at that time. That is no longer an issue, so please don't let that sway you. ;)

I do have to agree with everyone's thoughts about the 2-Bedroom suites, particularly those in the Haven. If those are still available for your sailing, give serious thought to that option. The master bath in these suites is even more impressive than that of the OS, in my opinion - particularly the shower. Also, having that cozy little room for the children is ideal. Truly the best option.

Also, you asked about meals from Cagney's. We were in a 2-Bedroom Haven suite in March of this year, and had breakfast from Cagney's right in the Haven on several days. The Haven Valet took care of everything. We also could have had our Butler deliver it to our suite, but being out in the sunny Haven was preferable to us.

The issue you mentioned was only occurring for a very short period of time, and was apparently the decision of the woman who was the Concierge at that time.

That is no longer an issue, so please don't let that sway you. ;)

I definitely agree about the bathroom.. The bathroom in the villa is maybe a tad smaller than the OS, but with MUCH better views (shower and bath). The closet area is smaller than the OS, but substantial for two (the kids stuff goes in your closet or their own room). The bedroom is definitely smaller than the OS, but it's just a bedroom for sleeping. Two bathrooms is nice, even if just hubby uses the second one (that's the way we do it even for just two lol). The two bedroom villa is so nice that we often book it for just the two of us, but it truly the ultimate for a family, so much so that we have booked yet another on the Breakaway with our (much older) daughter.

Robin

Archived