TTY in cabins... not quite there yet.

DeafOnBoard

We do take ordering room service for granted.

I sailed on the Carnival Inspiration in 2011 and while Carnival did supply our cabin with the standard ADA kit for Deaf cruisers (flashing doorbell, emergency light strobe, bed shaker/alarm, and the TTY), we found the TTY to be the issue.

One day during the voyage, my friend decided to order room service on the TTY. We followed the instructions they left yet could not get a connection with the room service department. While my friend got frustrated with the TTY showing no response, I opened the door to see if there were any stewards attending a room nearby that we could flag down and have them call through the "normal" phone - there were none. Undaunted, I took the order and walked the entire length to the atrium bar and handed the note to the barkeeper. Thankfully, he understood and called to place our order.

Upon returning to the cabin, my friend still had no success with getting an connection. Requiring one to walk halfway down the ship corridor to the bar to order room service kinda of negates the point of room service in the first place - the idea that one could call and place an order without leaving the cabin???

We reported the issue to Guest Services and they sent someone to take a look - and surprise, while the TTY itself was functioning fine, we just couldn't get a connection to either Guest Services or Room Services.

Other Deaf guests had a similar problem. What is the purpose of having a TTY on board if calls can't be made?

(We did have several issues with Ding Dong Ditch with our doorbell light - until we moved it higher on the door, out of reach of children - but then we had the drunks who saw the shiny button and couldn't resist themselves :)

Has anyone encountered an issue with TTYs on board? Any suggestions?

Archived