Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise 2013 Review

whodat22

Just curious..who is your favorite R&B artist (s)? One of our ports of call this year on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise is Aruba...I'm excited, the last time I was there was in the 90's for Sinbad's Summer Jam Festival (awesome time!!!! ). You might check out St Lucia's and Grand Cayman's Jazz Festival also.

I noticed that the west coast full charter jazz/soul cruises have a hard time selling out even when they have almost the exact same artists line up as the east coast. I guess the Mexician ports of call are less desireable then the Caribbean. It also means lower prices or last minute deals.

Almost all of the major full charter jazz/soul. music theme cruises open for sale about a year in advance with their line up so you can choose which cruise to select based on who's performing..my favorite Capital Jazz SuperCruise does it differently.

You might go to the Capital Jazz website and sign up for their newsletter today. They will be opening for sale within the next 4 weeks their 2014 SuperCruise....they have an early bird ( thru November)special pricing along with several payment options...they will announce the ship and the ports of call now...and announced the artists in November/December...once the artists line up is announced, the prices go up. The SuperCruise is modeled after the Capital Jazz Festival which means the cruise line up will feature a strong combination of jazz,r&b, gospel, comedy, old school, funk, neo soul and lagniappe (i.e. a bonus musical offering that one would not expect to see) performers .

I strongly suggest that you visit all of the websites and view the photos and line ups of this years and past years to gain a sense of what teases your musical palate

Raheem DeVaughn is my favorite artist! And he'll be here in 2 weeks!!!!!

Anyhow, I know R. Kelly is supposed to be at the St. Lucia Jazz Fest this year. I will definitely check out your suggestions.

I LOVE his music...I think he was at Essence Festival last year...I will let you know if he is scheduled for any upcoming music theme cruises...

R. Kelly tried to put together a full charter theme cruise but it fell apart due to lack of bookings...perfect example of not understanding that his fan base cannot support him in this format. Kid Rock, on the other hand, has had 3 straight cruise charter sell outs

Thank you for sharing your experience. Maybe I need to give them a call tomorrow and find out what ship they'll be on and what port they plan to leave out of next year. We shall see if this cruise is in my future for 2014.

On this last cruise, I heard he he had a 3 year deal with carnival. I am not sure if that is true or not but it sounds plausible. I doubt that carnival would do a one yr deal.

3 year deals are a win/win for both parties because by sticking with the same fleet type, the onboard logistics (sound, lights, venue logistics etc., working with the various ship's departments) can be fine tuned and Carnival can plan it's manpower reallocations and measure the residual benefits (guests booking a regular cruise after being on a music theme cruise).

Carnival has Tom Joyner's Fantastic Voyage, Capital Jazz SuperCruise & Festival At Sea

Royal Caribbean has Dave Koz & Friends

Holland America has EEC (Jazz Cruise, Smooth Jazz Cruise, Soul Train Cruise, Malt Shop Memories) and they host The Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise

NCL actually purchased SixthMan Productions and they host about a dozen alternate music theme cruises per year. In looking at the layout of the two newest NCL ships coming online, it appears NCL has incorporate features in it's design to host these types of cruises and can compete for the business at a lower cost

There is also a trend on the part of all the cruiselines on their regular sailings to cross utilize artists that appear on these wildly popular jazz/soul full charters and trend away from traditional entertainment (musical show production numbers etc.).

I LOVE his music...I think he was at Essence Festival last year...I will let you know if he is scheduled for any upcoming music theme cruises...R. Kelly tried to put together a full charter theme cruise but it fell apart due to lack of bookings

Yes, he was at Essence last year. I wanted to go, but room rates were through the roof and I still had to buy tickets. So, I passed. But I saw him twice last year for much cheaper; once in New York and 3 months later in Dallas. Awesome shows. And yes, I noticed R.Kelly's cruise was cancelled.

On this last cruise, I heard he he had a 3 year deal with carnival. I am not sure if that is true or not but it sounds plausible. I doubt that carnival would do a one yr deal.

Yes, he'll still be with Carnival, but I wonder what ship will it be held on. Carnival hasn't released their entire 2014 schedule....I'm thinking they may be on the Breeze next year, but that's just my thoughts. :D

That would be nice...the Breeze holds 3690 vs Glory 2984, plus the Breeze is a much newer and nicer vessel..considering how quickly the Fantastic Voyage sold out this year it 's possible Tom might consider...however when Tom was on Royal Caribbean he got himself in trouble when he went from the smaller 3200 psgr vessel to the Freedom of the Seas (4000+) and could not sell out the vessel and was forced to heavily discount to fill the vessel which create alot of hard feelings from guests who had paid the full rate...but in the words of Tom "kids got to go to school"

Is the Breeze not showing for sale to the general public on it's website any week in April 2014?

Okay, my friend just sent me this post and I have to go back and reread everyone’s post about this cruise. Glad people are finally speaking out about this mess. I have been on the FV since 2007. Let me say it was the greatest cruise I have ever been on. I think went on 2008, 2010 and 2011. All the cruises were on Royal Caribbean. I had the best of time, and met the best people in the world, that I still talk to today. But I will not be back on the FV. It now has water down entertainment, water down boat, and still jacking up the price. VIP seating that is a joke. Until 2010, I have never had to stand in line to attend any of the events. There was always plenty of seating for everyone. That crap on Carnival was just that crap, sorry for those that spent their hard earned money, but it was not worth it. There are so many underhand dealings on that cruise that you would never believe. After 2011 I said I would never go again. In 2011, people went for free because they were friends of friends of friends. Reduce prices for people. People waiting to the end, when they announce cabins go back on the market, they get a reduce price. So that junk about them selling 275 cabins, they mean deposits that are non-refundable, believe you me ½ or ¾ of those will go back on the market because people will not have paid for them. He lied and said he sold out; he has not sold out since 2008. The tax deduction use to in the 1000.00. 2011 I think it was 500.00 dollars. We use to get gifts from sponsors every night. T-shirts, bags, cameras, hats, all kinds of stuff. 2011 we got one funky t-shirt. Again, there are stories for days about that cruise. I hope that those that went this year, enjoyed themselves as far as the people they met and maybe caught some other great acts, but for $8000.00 it is nowhere near worth it. Does it all go to HBCU’s, I doubt it. I wish they would bring some students on board to testify that they did receive a scholarship courtesy of the cruise.

Dancedoc...just curious, have you tried Festival At Sea, The Smooth Jazz Cruise, The Soul Train Cruise, Dave Koz & Friends, The Jazz Cruise or the Capital Jazz SuperCruise?. If yes, how did they compare to the Fantastic Voyage? If no, you might consider because they all have a very high % of loyal fans who return year after year (myself included, 4th straight year on the SuperCruise this November)

I have never been on the Fantastic Voyage and my friends who have, indicated they enjoyed it, but would not be returning (value for their $$$$) Tom was on Royal Caribbean for 13 straight years prior to switching over to Carnival this year so I am sure all parties went thru an "adjustment period" this year and Tom will listen to feedback from his guests and work with Carnival to incorporate into next year's cruise.

I also think that the artists that are in the line up and their accessibility to guests have alot to do with guests satisfaction. On the cruises that I mentioned above, most of the artists are onboard all week and are very happy to interact with guests and guests honor the artists privacy when they are with their families. As I understand it, several big name artists this year on the Fantastic Voyage, were onboard for a very short period of time. I've been Blessed to have breakfast with Phil Perry, lunch with Fred Hammond and last year Chante Moore joined our table for dinner. Priceless!!

Hopefully you will find another music cruise that you will enjoy

Hattock, yes I am going on the Festival At Seas this year. My friend went on the Soul Train cruise, which she enjoyed. I figured that most of the artist on FV were on and off the ship quickly. That is the only way he could afford most of them. I heard that Jamie Fox was on and off the ship before it left the port in Miami. Hence, he only had to pay for a guest appearance. If former years the artists traveled the entire cruise if they chose to. Most got on in the beginning and where off when we docket at the first island, and them more got on. In 2007, New Edition stayed the entire cruise and mingled with the ship the entire week. Also Tom, stopped giving away the cruise DVD after 2010. There were no more. It is shame, because I look at mine all the time, and remember the good times. Really a shame, that it has gone down a lot, because it was a cruise I really enjoyed. I have no plans on returning unless he is back on RC. For what I have heard he has a 3 year deal with Carnival.

I really loved Festival At Sea when I went several years ago, plus I live in New Orleans and they sail during my birthday week, so maybe I will see you onboard. My friend was on the Soul Train cruise and loved it also and she is already booked for next February and is trying to have us join them, Too many great options, not enough $$$$ or time....lol...

Ford is now the "title sponsor" of the FV which hopefully should mean more resources for the onboard product. Everyone who cares about HBCU's is rooting for Tom and the FV to be very successful

Tom is really an "old school" DJ at heart but to try to attract a younger listening base for his radio show in the last few years has had alot of rappers onboard which may not align with the demographics of the majority of his guests. Don Cornelius had the same challenge in the final decade of Soul Train on tv. However, it stands to reason as the younger generation that grew up on and love rap music, mature, have careers and famirlies and take vacations, we will see full charter music rap cruises.

The "big 3" ( Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean) have figured out that these full charter music theme cruises are "recession proof" and provide a perfect conduit to attracting folks to try a regular cruise and paying for a higher cabin category. I surmise that the cruiselines will design the next generation ships or do modifications to their current vessels to better accomodate their venues for music cruises. NCL is leading the way when they purchased SixthMan Productions.

FYI, the annual Louis Armstrong Jazz Festival is the same weekend of Festival At Sea. If you are planning to come in town the day before, you might check it out

I agree with everything you said about Tom and then some, in 2009 I think he did the hip hop concert at 2am and it was a huge success, but again he had old school hip hop artists. Every since then he has pulled that off with “old school” hip hop artists. It was packed at the concert and everyone wanted to see this show. I had no desire to see Snoop Dogg or Ludaris, even though I like both artists. “Some of it”. Jamie Foxx again, no desire to see him. Would have love to see the O’Jays, EWF and Frankie Beverly & Maze. All old school artists. I know for a fact the Glory was not built or design for what Tom had in mind. I read the post about the additional costs for prime entrance. What a way to mislead people who do not know that this was a waste of money, they do not enforce it at all. I wish Tom the best, I have no hard feelings, because those cruises from 2007-2010 were off the chain, (with the exception of the Los Angeles Cruise which will go down in history as a disaster) I had the best time of my life on the cruise and have met some very interesting and important people and contacts. (Not just celebrities). Again, like I said I am friends with some of those people to this day and keep in contact with them. Yes, I will be in New Orleans two days before the ships sails, my cabinmate (A former Tom Joyner Cruiser) and I will be in the Big Easy. I cannot wait. The lineup is shaping up just great. I am really looking at the Soul Train cruise for 2014 that lineup is looking great also. Please let me know if you are going on the Festival at Seas Cruise.

I hinted to my GF that FAS would make the perfect gift and will let you know...

You are right on target about old school rappers..Dougie Fresh did a noon time lido deck concert on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise two years ago and rocked the boat...I really enjoy that at the midnight allstar jam sessions we were treated to pairings of "old school r&b with today's neo soul singers i.e. Phil Perry with Eric. Roberson, Peabo Bryson with Dwele , Roy Ayers with Down To The Bone, Chuck Brown with Brian Culbertson

My friend was on the FV the year out on the west coast when it could not go to Mexico due to the virus and had to go to Vancouver...to make matters worse he was one of the ones who were confined to his cabin because of the illness on board. Tom should have given everyone credit for the following year...

Yes, Tom has had Dougie on the cruise several times. He was the host for the 2am concert. Which was off the chain, I agree with old school hip hop artists it was classic. Yes, I did not do the Los Angeles cruise thank god, I pulled out in the beginning. I think people got a 300 dollar credit the next year if you attended that cruise, but the next year he had a hard time of selling cabins and I got a balcony for the price of an inside cabin. Wheeling and dealing. I may have to do FV one more time for my husband. He has seen the videos and fell hard for it. Tried to explain to him that was in the past, but he may have to go just to experience the cruise. When I will do that not sure, but I am on FAS for sure this year. Really leaning hard for that Soul Train cruise. Please let me know, if you attend.

On BAM it indicted Nick Canon has purchased all rights to the Soul Train Name and not sure if that includes licensing to the Soul Train Cruise, but I'm sure he will try to bring back the tv show...maybe his wife will host....lol

I agree the line up for next Feb Soul Train Cruise is awesome..it' on HAL Eurodam (beautiful ship), which holds about 2200 (vs Carnival Glory 3200 psgrs), which should make it much less crowded and hectic and enjoyable. Understand from my friend that was on the 1st one, there were alot of former FV folks onboard (herself included) who share your sentiments about the FV

• 6 months later...

Thanks for posting! My husband and I was looking to see if it was worth it. The prices for the Tom Joyner cruise is HIGH. Went on Carnivals website and it was much cheaper for the same ship and same dates. I take that the prices include the concerts and ect. Now I know what the VIP really is, we won't spend money on something that is not guaranteed.

Thanks for posting! My husband and I was looking to see if it was worth it. The prices for the Tom Joyner cruise is HIGH. Went on Carnivals website and it was much cheaper for the same ship and same dates. I take that the prices include the concerts and ect. Now I know what the VIP really is, we won't spend money on something that is not guaranteed.

The Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage is the week of March 16-23.

The ship (Conquest) is chartered for that cruise and tickets aren't available/sold through Carnival.

That week - Sun. March 16 - isn't available on Carnival's site for Conquest.

You can only buy the Fantastic Voyage tix from Tom Joyner's organization.

Just didn't want you to make a mistake.

Yeah ...I was hoping someone would do a review of this cruise....it is definitely on my bucket list.

I have enjoyed reading all the comments. I think we all agree this has been a beautiful idea whose time for change has come, and resistance is never far behind it. Don't let the idea die!

I've always thought about going, but as some as posted, the price kept me from doing so. However, after reading reviews about the cruise here on CC, and also hearing it first-hand from friends who went, I will never go. Tom Joyner's staff is disorganized, no one knows what's going on. You pay for something and don't get it (i.e., paid for VIP access, have a wrist band, but can't get it). I hope that they will learn from this and do a better job, but I refuse to attend.

In all fairness to Tom Joyner and his "Party With A Purpose Fantastic Voyage" his prices are in line with the Capital Jazz SuperCruise, Soul Train, Smooth Jazz, The Jazz, Dave Koz & Friends and Festival At Sea, Blues, Cruises...once you back out the 40% mark up that is donated to his HBCU Foundation (that portion is tax deductible and his Foundation provides a form for your tax preparer)....so you have to look at it in context....if you are an HBCU graduate and would normally send a check to your school for between $2500-$5000 at the end of the year then you should think about going on the Fantastic Voyage...do not fall into the "trap" of comparing prices of a private full charter Music Theme Cruise with a regular cruise..it's like comparing apples to oranges...you can't...the onboard experience cannot be compared and there is a reason why these charters sell out over a year in advance with repeat cruisers..I have not been on a "regular" cruise since 2003 and doubt if I woulc ever do another regular sailing

Tom has other "challenges" that I have full confidence will be resolved, and everyone I know wants him to succeed because of his "Purpose"...there is a very strong loyalty no matter which music charter you experience, to stay with them because you make so many great friends that you looking forward to seeing every year..we have been on our 4th straight Capital Jazz SuperCruise and already booked for our 5th (Oct 2014)..if the Fantastic Voyage exceeds your budget, give a serious look at the others I listed in this thread...by far, it is the best value for your vacation if you are a true fan and support live music...just remember, you will need a week to recover when you get home

I'm not a HBCU graduate, but I do proudly support them. Not to the tune of $2500-$5000 a year. I don't give that kind of money to the college I did graduate from. However if you do give along that order, then this event is a great option to do so and potentially have a great cruise vacation at the same time.

It does sound like there are some serious organizational issues and things paid for but not received. All fixable. I know a few people who have gone, and the one comment consistent with this thread is the lack of organization. I respect Tom Joyner, but I don't see me going on the FV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I am glad that this thread has resurfaced. I haven't listened to the TJMS is years and I had no idea that the FV had been moved to Carnival.

Thanks for all the comments...the good, the bad and the ugly. I have always wanted to go on the FV, but like others...the price kept me away. I may rethink it being that I am a proud graduate of a HBCU.

Don't limit your options by just looking at the Fantastic Voyage!!! Because Tom has a nationally syndicated radio show he has the platform and the ability to promote it...one of the positive byproducts of his cruise is folks start looking at other options and find greater enjoyment that fits into their budget..I bet, your friends have been on other private full

charter music cruises, multiple times and love it...go with them, it's much better to have an enjoyable experience with a group of friends that know the ropes....in my experience, most folks will do the Fantastic Voyage once for the experience, but not alot are repeat cruisers...Festival At Sea (the oldest) sells out every year with repeat cruisers (a newby has to clear the long waitlist)..the 2015. Smooth Jazz Cruise is 90% sold out. already with repeat guests...I have met several Capital Jazz SuperCruisers who have been on all 7 outing...in that light we are rookies having only done 5 with them

On the Capital Jazz SuperCruise this year we were treated to incredible musical experiences and performances everyday..Larry Graham rocked the boat and alot of us danced on stage with him..Charlie Wilson was great on Red Night but Anthony Hamilton brought the house down with his performance...allstar midnight jam sessions, Marvin Sapp Gospel. show, Michael Colyar kept us in stiches..list goes on and on

Visit the different charter websites and look at the pics...this experience is not anything like a regular cruise..if you are a true music fan this is the way to go....my personal highlight this year..I shared pizza at 0230 am on the lido deck with all 4 of Charlie Wilson's back up singers and have a great pic with them that is my screensaver on my tablet..every am when I fire up my computer I have great memories of my SuperCruise

• 2 weeks later...