Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise 2013 Review

whodat22

The TJFV is probably one of the best vacations (cruises) that you could ever take. Now I will admit there was a lot of confusion with the advance seating plan, and I too would not have been happy with the organization had I purchased the package. My suggestion would be to reach out to Reach Media with your issues. Maybe there is something they can do, you never know until you ask.

Now with that being said the cruise as a whole was great! Whoever said that Jamie Foxx did not perform on the cruise gave mis-information. He was the sail away act and brought along with him Tank & Trey Songz! I will be glad to post pictures if I can figure out how. All the other acts were amazing from the headliners to the comedians (Damon Williams, Marvin Dixon, Melaine Camacho, Tony Rock, etc.). The music was on point as you have some of the hottest DJ's in the game sailing along for your listening pleasure (DJ Dolla Bill, DJ Nabs, DJ Wiz, DJ Cut Creator, Mix Master Mitch, etc.). My cabin was down the hall from Bootsy Collins, I chatted and sipped coffee with Mr. Eddie Levert, and sat in the pool laughing with Too Short and Claudia Jordan. The beach concerts did not disappoint and even though it was not RCCL, Carnival did a good job of hosting the group and learning the "way TJFV vets" expect things to be done. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to have a fabulous time.

Let's be real, where in one week can you stop at 2 or 3 different tropical islands, see the OJays, Frankie Beverly, Bootsy, Snoop, Jamie, Tyrese, Tony Terry, Ruben, Lady of Rage, Yo Yo, Lil Kim, EW&F, Tyler Perry, Mike Phillips, Avant, Ludacris, and many more. The headliners do more that one show so everyone does get a chance to see all the acts. There is a payment plan if you are interested so keep listening out for the dates for the 2014 Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage!!

Jamie1.jpg.6844bcb1419f891e78a9b751c06197ad.jpg

eddie.jpg.ff23ad838fa85d09c6112895cffb42d3.jpg

frankie1.jpg.21a907612c34a3fe4f8b9a9b1641fc9b.jpg

bootsy.jpg.3a0f65c7f1e5114ba2f5bbc65327d5f0.jpg

Luda1.jpg.f746a72ef8d3dfd520539362d1055d00.jpg

chubb.jpg.754b2bb8eaf68a4baf35417ed49651a0.jpg

snoop.jpg.5a458ce4ae2c4cbc6633e0800d05ad6a.jpg

Damon1.jpg.3abedb457352244c684f2878ed5274e4.jpg

Well Thank You.. They sound like they be getting down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its on My Bucket List.. I for sure have to go... :D

Shatima - I have done the "neighborhood awards" a few years and had a very good time. If you go, definitely stay at The Hotel. Less crowded and beautiful suites.

KIM Shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "$2,400 per person for an interior on the riviera deck! YIKES!!!!:eek: U HAVE to ke kiding me..." For that Price on DECK 1 I better be able to stay in bed until the Intermission if I want to with my seat WAITING OPENLY for me to come.. Breeze Balcony & Suites aren't that high.. And If im not mistaking did the OP or someone say that the tix were ON TOP of the Cruise/Cabin Price..

I Sooooooooooooooooooooo Love Reading all these Reviews,I know I learn at least 7 new things a day up here..

Wow. I don't know anyone that's ever been on the Tom Joyner cruise, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest. I've never really had a desire to go, but I know they get hyped up so much and seem like a lot of fun. I'm assuming they chartered the entire ship, right? I went to their website to see which ship you all were on (Carnival Glory). I think the first red flag for me might be that they have Private Island listed on the itinerary instead of Half Moon Cay. I know most people haven't heard of HMC and they likely did that so people wouldn't be asking where the heck is that, but still, as a formality on their website, I think it should have been listed. And good grief those prices! $2,400 per person for an interior on the riviera deck! YIKES!!!!:eek: You have every right to be upset about the wristband issue. I would for sure be writing a letter to him or someone up his chain to complain. Very interesting review. Please post more soon.

Great to know. Thanks for this info.. U had me at ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I took my sister to the Hoodie Awards a few years back as a surprise for her 21st birthday. I'm only a few years older than her but we had a great time!! The prices were definitely A LOT cheaper than this and that includes lots of concerts but no food of course.

I went to Howard U. and have been interested in going on this cruise one day to support the HBCU's. I have no problem paying the inflated price, however I can't seem to find anyone else willing to go with me who has no problem paying the inflated price :rolleyes:

I would defn be mad about paying extra and not getting the service I paid for. That just seems so sad. I would never pay extra for a package like that anyways. I hope you do try to dispute this with someone soon.

There used to be a roll call thread each yr on here of people who were going on the Tom Joyner cruises. Not sure why people stopped creating roll calls for it.

LOVE the Pix and thank you for sharing them with us :) Oh and if you were talking about me when U said mis-information I surely hope I didn't :( lol This is what I said on my thread: I was listening the 1st day (well a clip) and they were talking about jamie Foxx not being able to Go on the Cruise now, but he got down with some Special Guest b 4 the ship left the Port.. I cant wait to read this.. I have Always wanted to go on one with them............

SO I think thats what U pretty much said too.... Mr. Joyner said something about the "ACT"S not being able to break the Contract UNLESS there is something Big that comes up, or someting.. And if im Not mistaken Jamie has a Movie or something he was shooting around that time.. But He still was able to come and Kill it with the Special Guest But he Couldnt Go out on the Cruise it self...

But this Reiew is Looking up more and more as U post.. Sipping Tea, in the pool chillin, Beach Party :) Just doing it :) lol

The TJFV is probably one of the best vacations (cruises) that you could ever take. Now I will admit there was a lot of confusion with the advance seating plan, and I too would not have been happy with the organization had I purchased the package. My suggestion would be to reach out to Reach Media with your issues. Maybe there is something they can do, you never know until you ask.

Now with that being said the cruise as a whole was great! Whoever said that Jamie Foxx did not perform on the cruise gave mis-information. He was the sail away act and brought along with him Tank & Trey Songz! I will be glad to post pictures if I can figure out how. All the other acts were amazing from the headliners to the comedians (Damon Williams, Marvin Dixon, Melaine Camacho, Tony Rock, etc.). The music was on point as you have some of the hottest DJ's in the game sailing along for your listening pleasure (DJ Dolla Bill, DJ Nabs, DJ Wiz, DJ Cut Creator, Mix Master Mitch, etc.). My cabin was down the hall from Bootsy Collins, I chatted and sipped coffee with Mr. Eddie Levert, and sat in the pool laughing with Too Short and Claudia Jordan. The beach concerts did not disappoint and even though it was not RCCL, Carnival did a good job of hosting the group and learning the "way TJFV vets" expect things to be done. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to have a fabulous time.

Let's be real, where in one week can you stop at 2 or 3 different tropical islands, see the OJays, Frankie Beverly, Bootsy, Snoop, Jamie, Tyrese, Tony Terry, Ruben, Lady of Rage, Yo Yo, Lil Kim, EW&F, Tyler Perry, Mike Phillips, Avant, Ludacris, and many more. The headliners do more that one show so everyone does get a chance to see all the acts. There is a payment plan if you are interested so keep listening out for the dates for the 2014 Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage!!

Sorry to hijack thread but I did the Fantastic Voyage back in 2006. I am glad I did it and can check it off my list. Would I do it again...not so sure...maybe. Besides the expense, it was disorganized and hectic and at that time they did not have the VIP , club etc access that you could buy and people would line up HOURS before the shows. I was not a fan of that. And RCCL tried to do soul food a couple of times...fail.

Now did I have fun? Heck yeah!

Were the shows (Earth, Wind & Fire, Teena Marie, Bobby Brown) I got to see amazing? Oh yeah they were. Just jam packed and skipped out on a lot of other fun in order to get a place in line. But I missed out on Babyface, Third World and Zapp.

Best memory? The watergun fight. Hilarious and very, very wet. Must do.

Theme nights? A lot of fun. Some great costumes! I was able to drive to the port but not sure how some of the flyers got all that crap to the ship, though this was before all the bag fees.

Were fellow cruisers nice? Pretty much. Like a big dysfunctional family but of course there was a lot of mine is bigger than yours and some really snotty folks but you get that on any trip.

Seminars and Drink Tank fun? Yep. Tavis Smiley was excellent. And comedians were too crazy. lol

Overall it was a good trip and I am glad to have it checked off my list. But something about the vibe or undertone of it rubbed me the wrong way. I went with a group and there were 8 of us total and every pretty much felt the same way and none of us are rushing to go again. But I would recommend everyone try it at least once! I will probably give it another go one day just to see if that vibe was a fluke.

I am looking forward to reading how it has changed since it has been 7 years. Please keep the review coming! lol

I get what you're saying, but is it okay for a charity to collect money and not render services promised simply because it's a charity? Eventually that line of thinking is going to cost them and they may not get all the support they desire because of a bad rep.

I totally agree with you. I would be pissed if I was the OP and I would share how pissed I was with everyone. But asking for $ back, nah, I would not do that.

I am glad people are sharing b/c I have been trying to encourage DH to go on this with me. But I LOATHE chaos and a lack of disorganization. I will spear myself from this experience.

Sorry to hijack thread but I did the Fantastic Voyage back in 2006. I am glad I did it and can check it off my list. Would I do it again...not so sure...maybe. Besides the expense, it was disorganized and hectic and at that time they did not have the VIP , club etc access that you could buy and people would line up HOURS before the shows. I was not a fan of that. And RCCL tried to do soul food a couple of times...fail.

Now did I have fun? Heck yeah!

Were the shows (Earth, Wind & Fire, Teena Marie, Bobby Brown) I got to see amazing? Oh yeah they were. Just jam packed and skipped out on a lot of other fun in order to get a place in line. But I missed out on Babyface, Third World and Zapp.

Best memory? The watergun fight. Hilarious and very, very wet. Must do.

Theme nights? A lot of fun. Some great costumes! I was able to drive to the port but not sure how some of the flyers got all that crap to the ship, though this was before all the bag fees.

Were fellow cruisers nice? Pretty much. Like a big dysfunctional family but of course there was a lot of mine is bigger than yours and some really snotty folks but you get that on any trip.

Seminars and Drink Tank fun? Yep. Tavis Smiley was excellent. And comedians were too crazy. lol

Overall it was a good trip and I am glad to have it checked off my list. But something about the vibe or undertone of it rubbed me the wrong way. I went with a group and there were 8 of us total and every pretty much felt the same way and none of us are rushing to go again. But I would recommend everyone try it at least once! I will probably give it another go one day just to see if that vibe was a fluke.

I am looking forward to reading how it has changed since it has been 7 years. Please keep the review coming! lol

Thanks for giving us your opinion. I do NOT like huge crowds and disorganization (they've been doing this for years you'd think they'd have a better way of executing everything by now) and I also don't like the idea of waiting HOURS in line for a concert so I think that kills any chance of my booking. But I'm glad that those who went enjoyed themselves and all while supporting an extremely good cause.

I'm curious about this vibe you and those in your party felt though. What gave yall that impression?

Thanks for giving us your opinion. I do NOT like huge crowds and disorganization (they've been doing this for years you'd think they'd have a better way of executing everything by now) and I also don't like the idea of waiting HOURS in line for a concert so I think that kills any chance of my booking

Ditto! I would be heated if I had to wait in line for a concert that I paid to have premium seating at! This isn't their first cruise so this thing should be like a well oiled machine by now!

I think the OP has a right to be pissed. Yes, it goes to charity but that's what the inflated cruise price is for too. If she paid extra for a service, then she has a right to have that service. If she just wanted to give $$$ to the charity, then she would have done that directly. Not pay for a service and then not get it. I agree though that you should first seek out someone that was in charge and find out what they can do. I personally believe that you should get all that extra money back. At the end of the day, you were not provided with a service that you paid for and just like anything else in the world, you have a right to a refund if that is the case, charity or not.

Whodat22 sounds like we had a similar experience, unfortunately my roomie and I paid for and did not receive VIP treatment! I've already emailed Reach Media to voice my dissatisfaction and I encourage you to do the same, they need to know that we are not pleased! 2012 was my first time on this cruise and I had a blast, after this year I don't think I'll ever go again or recommend to anyone else? I don't mind paying extra in the name of charity but I can't help but feel like I got ripped off!

Thanks for posting the information/doing a review of the TJ cruise. We have looked at this option several years, but as many have stated, the cost is prohibitive, and significantly higher than a normal cruise. We took a look at all the events/concerts being offered, and thought about having to wait several hours in a venue just to get a seat, as you mentioned, and financially it wasn't worth it to us. We financially support our historically black schools through financial contributions, and by supporting family members via the same that attend the schools.

I totally agree with you. I would be pissed if I was the OP and I would share how pissed I was with everyone. But asking for $ back, nah, I would not do that.

You're a better person than me, $500-$800 is way too much to pay for something you're not getting . . . that's a car payment or rent for somebody.

I think the OP has a right to be pissed. Yes, it goes to charity but that's what the inflated cruise price is for too. If she paid extra for a service, then she has a right to have that service. If she just wanted to give $$$ to the charity, then she would have done that directly. Not pay for a service and then not get it. I agree though that you should first seek out someone that was in charge and find out what they can do. I personally believe that you should get all that extra money back. At the end of the day, you were not provided with a service that you paid for and just like anything else in the world, you have a right to a refund if that is the case, charity or not.

ITA with this post, surprisingly lol.

Glad all who went had a good time . . . would've loved to see EW&F. Think I'll just stick with donating directly to the HBCUs tho.

Edited by wannago35

thanks for posting the information/doing a review of the tj cruise. We have looked at this option several years, but as many have stated, the cost is prohibitive, and significantly higher than a normal cruise. We took a look at all the events/concerts being offered, and thought about having to wait several hours in a venue just to get a seat, as you mentioned, and financially it wasn't worth it to us. We financially support our historically black schools through financial contributions, and by supporting family members via the same that attend the schools.

* like *

Hopefully my review will help others in deciding whether this cruise is for you. Its lengthy, so I'll have to put my review into parts.

This was my first time on the Tom Joyner Cruise. I have been listening to Tom Joyner Radio for close to 15 years and consider myself a regular listener.

My wife and I are graduates of HBCUs and we figured this would be a great way to give back. And as Tom puts it.."Party with a purpose!" However, there is really only two words that best describes this years cruise...DISORGANIZED and to SMALL for the events planned.

Part 1

For this voyage, you could purchase any of the following packages in addition to the cost of your stateroom. The first being the highest in price and none of which were cheap.

1) VIP access. According to the website this package included guaranteed front row seating to the two main island concerts. JamieFoxx/Ludacris & Earth Wind and Fire. People with this package had orange/pink wrist bands.

2) Club access. This package included preferred seating for two intimate club room concerts on the cruise ship. People with this package had black/white checkerboard wrist bands.

3) Taste of Carnival. This package allowed you to have option to taste 5 different foods (eg. Italian, Carribean, etc) I have no idea what wristband color these were. I didn't meet anyone who got this package. I would love to hear the experience for anyone who did purchase this package.

We choice to add club access to our package since we were more interested in having preferred seating for the intimate setting concerts on the boat. Boy was this a mistake. First off the Tom Joyner staff was completely disorganized and unfamiliar with their own packages. We arrived for Tuesday nights concert featuring Mike Phillip/Avant 30 minutes before show as noted on our club access paperwork, only to be told that there were no more seats and that it was first-come first-serve. Unlike most events where you have separate lines for VIP/preferred seating, they had one line for everyone. Since we didn't get in line TWO hours before the show like others had done, we were out of luck. When we voiced our complaint to the Tom Joyner staff, they themselves could not dispute the problem, but could only tell us to try and find one of their staff members(can't remember his name) before the next nights show and they would insure we could get in. So now we needed to allow extra time for hunting down one out of a hundred staff members on this huge boat? Yeah, right. We quickly learned that our checkerboard wrist bands and the amount we paid for them would mean nothing on this cruise. We never did receive any preferred seating for any event on this cruise, despite paying extra for it. We got in line just like everyone else and hoped there were seats available when we got in.

There were similar stories for people who paid even more than we did for VIP access. From what I've heard, many did not get VIP access to much of anything. Only those who were willing to stand in line up to two hours before an event were guaranteed preferred seating because they were first in line. IF you plan to do this cruise in the future, DO NOT PURCHASE any special access packages. Its a ripoff. Trust me on that one. Save that extra $500-800 bucks for something else.

More review to come.....

I've always wanted to do one of his cruises. This is the first year it was held on Carnival; they normally sail on Royal. His cruise in 04, I believe it was, didn't have the option to purchase VIP anything. But I thank you for the heads up. He did announce this morning that 230 cabins are already sold for next year's cruise.

I do know that 1/2 of your payment is tax deductible, but I guess the extra services were not.

I went to Howard U. and have been interested in going on this cruise one day to support the HBCU's. I have no problem paying the inflated price, however I can't seem to find anyone else willing to go with me who has no problem paying the inflated price :rolleyes:

I would defn be mad about paying extra and not getting the service I paid for. That just seems so sad. I would never pay extra for a package like that anyways. I hope you do try to dispute this with someone soon.

There used to be a roll call thread each yr on here of people who were going on the Tom Joyner cruises. Not sure why people stopped creating roll calls for it.

Because the prices are so high, I was doing a quad room with a friend, a cousin, and her friend, but my cousin's friend and my friend clashed and there was no way we could all room together. Then the cheapest double rooms sold out...so needless to say, no one went. I will make it on his cruise one day...he just needs to stop changing the dates he sails.

Thanks for posting, I too have listened to TJMS for several years and thought about going on this cruise-but the pricing has kept me from booking :eek:.

Looking forward to hearing more.....

Happy Sailing!!!

what's up, we both are from B-Lo, I went to Burgurd and my sister to Kingsington. What school did you go to?

I didn't know the price of the cruise includes a donation to an HBCU and that you can write off part of it on your taxes. You really do learn something new every day here. I hope Who Dat comes back with more soon! It's been interesting reading everyone's experiences with this cruise.

I didn't know the price of the cruise includes a donation to an HBCU and that you can write off part of it on your taxes. You really do learn something new every day here. I hope Who Dat comes back with more soon! It's been interesting reading everyone's experiences with this cruise.

Yes ma'am. The cost goes towards scholarships that the TJ Foundation gives to deserving students at HBCUs.

I know someone who goes every year, the sad thing is, he never takes his wife. But I guess that was irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I guess I need to see when the cruise will take place next year, but I'm pushing it because I have the Blogger's cruise in February and I'm eating into my vacation. And depending on when it is, it may interfere with my deadlines for my reports.

But yes, I do hope the OP comes back with more information.