Carnival vs. Princess

vent1020

First off I apologize. I know this topic has probably been discussed to death and I have searched and found threads. MOST of them are older 2008 and back and I know things change. Plus I have a few specific questions, so I thought I would start ANOTHER thread. Again, don't be too hard on me.

We have a 7 day booked in Nov. 2014. I don't want to have to wait that long to go on another cruise, so wife and I(minus kids) are looking at a short 4 day cruise to Mexico. So, here are the questions.

I know everyone has their own opinions and I will take into account ALL of them, but which line do you prefer? Carnival or Princess? I did SOME research and found they really are the only two lines that only do 4 day cruises to Mexico. If you know of another, heck throw it into the mix. I'll take all the pluses and minuses of each line. ANYTHING you can tell me about each would be appreciated.

We are open to any type of cabin, from an interior to a suite. Comparing the two lines, any suggestions or advice?

I do have more questions, but I will stop there for now. I appreciate the help. The best advice you can get is from people with experience. Thank you.

I don’t want to sound too cynical but calling a cruise that only stops at Ensenada a Mexican Cruise is really a stretch. The length of the cruise is so short that it makes the choice of line almost irrelevant. Having said this –

These mini-cruises offer people the opportunity to see if a vacation on a big ship is something they would like. They also give regular cruisers the opportunity to get credit for cruises taken for the cruise lines loyalty rewards programs.

I think you will find that there is little difference in the quality of food and service between Carnival & Princess. The décor, entertainment options and general “feel” will be the major difference between the two lines. Carnival seems to target a younger demographic and has a Vegas look `n feel. Princess has a Titanic look `n feel with warm wood tones and you won’t find a poolside hairy chest contest on a Princess ship.

Cabin selection is a matter of personal choice. Some people only use their cabin as a dressing room and a place to sleep (i.e.: always out and about) so they tend to book interior cabins. Others tend to spend more time in their cabins, enjoy a room-with-a-view and enjoy lounging on their own balcony. Most cabins have showers while others have full-size bathtub/shower combinations. Choice of cabin location is often driven by proximity to the various venues. Another factor is your physical reaction to ship's motion. Cabins fore and aft, higher in the ship, tend to experience movement slightly greater than cabins amidship nearer the "center" of the ship.

Mini-cruises are a great way to sample what a cruise line has to offer and I would encourage you to try both lines if possible. Short duration, low price point cruises tend to attract families and lots of kids while longer duration cruises during the school year tend to have fewer kids aboard. How well the cruise line entertains the kids can impact your cruise experience. So keep this in mind as you form an opinion about any given cruise line.

We tend to favor Princess.

I don’t want to sound too cynical but calling a cruise that only stops at Ensenada a Mexican Cruise is really a stretch. The length of the cruise is so short that it makes the choice of line almost irrelevant. Having said this –

These mini-cruises offer people the opportunity to see if a vacation on a big ship is something they would like. They also give regular cruisers the opportunity to get credit for cruises taken for the cruise lines loyalty rewards programs.

I think you will find that there is little difference in the quality of food and service between Carnival & Princess. The décor, entertainment options and general “feel” will be the major difference between the two lines. Carnival seems to target a younger demographic and has a Vegas look `n feel. Princess has a Titanic look `n feel with warm wood tones and you won’t find a poolside hairy chest contest on a Princess ship.

Cabin selection is a matter of personal choice. Some people only use their cabin as a dressing room and a place to sleep (i.e.: always out and about) so they tend to book interior cabins. Others tend to spend more time in their cabins, enjoy a room-with-a-view and enjoy lounging on their own balcony. Most cabins have showers while others have full-size bathtub/shower combinations. Choice of cabin location is often driven by proximity to the various venues. Another factor is your physical reaction to ship's motion. Cabins fore and aft, higher in the ship, tend to experience movement slightly greater than cabins amidship nearer the "center" of the ship.

Mini-cruises are a great way to sample what a cruise line has to offer and I would encourage you to try both lines if possible. Short duration, low price point cruises tend to attract families and lots of kids while longer duration cruises during the school year tend to have fewer kids aboard. How well the cruise line entertains the kids can impact your cruise experience. So keep this in mind as you form an opinion about any given cruise line.

We tend to favor Princess.

Thanks. Actually booked with Princess today. I think that is the way to go for us and what we like. Thanks again.

Nice choice. Major overhaul in 2009 and refirb in 2012. What cabin did you book?

We went with a Mid-Aft balcony on the Caribe deck. Decided that for a four day cruise, it wasn't worth spending an extra $1200-$1400 for a suite. ;)

We went with a Mid-Aft balcony on the Caribe deck. Decided that for a four day cruise, it wasn't worth spending an extra $1200-$1400 for a suite. ;)

Caribe deck balcony cabins are a favorite with us. The balconies are larger than other on decks and will have about 1/2 of the balcony with overhead cover and the other half exposed.

Did you get Traditional Dining or Anytime Dining?

Good choice :) Our last cruise was with a Caribe balcony and now I am spoiled and want nothing else :D

Caribe deck balcony cabins are a favorite with us. The balconies are larger than other on decks and will have about 1/2 of the balcony with overhead cover and the other half exposed.

Did you get Traditional Dining or Anytime Dining?

We decided since our first(and only) experience was anytime dining with NCL, we would try TD this time. It's funny, but like with anything else, you have your people that LOVE TD and you have your people that want AD. It will be interesting to have a SET time that we have to be eating.

Good choice :) Our last cruise was with a Caribe balcony and now I am spoiled and want nothing else :D

Yeah, I did some research and found if you aren't going with a mini or suite and are getting a balcony, Caribe is the way to go. :D

Archived