Local Bermuda Food Specialties???

RIvacationgirl

Returning to the Dawn in August and cannot wait! However, we will be going to Bermuda for the first time. Does Bermuda have any special foods, or dishes we should try? I have heard of the rum swizzles which sound intriguing. Do you have any special restaurants or little gems to share? Sometimes it is the small places that have the best foods and flavors of the area you are visiting. Thanks to all for your help in advance!;)

Popular Dishes in Bermuda:

Hoppin' John - This favorite is made of papaya, rice and peas. It is a casserole that is often made with meat or chicken.

Hash - This dish is made from shark.

Peas and plenty - This is made from black eyed peas that have been cooked with salt pork, onions and rice.

Sweet potato pudding - This healthy favorite contains lemon or orange juice, cinnamon and cloves mixed with sweet potatoes.

Cassava pie - This dish is made up of chicken, pork, eggs, cassava and sometimes brandy. It is meaty but sweet and looks like a pie made of layers.

Bermuda shark - Shark prepared with mustard greens, peppers and onions.

Mussel pie - Slightly curried and thick clam stew served in a pastry shell.

Portuguese red bean soup - This favorite is made with potato, tomato, chunks of ham, onion and kidney beans.

Conch Chowder - This favorite is made up of celery, onion, tomatoes, salt pork, cream, potatoes, and mollusks.

Bermuda fish chowder - This is a spicy and thick dish that is often served with rum and sherry pepper sauce. It is made of salt pork, fish, onions, herbs and tomatoes.

As for restaurants, I like the White Horse Tavern in St. George, and both the Hog Penny and the Muse Restaurant and Skybar in Hamilton.

Had awesome Bermuda Fish Chowder (with Sherry Pepper sauce) at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel. Preceded by another specialty of Bermuda - a Dark & Stormy (Gosling's Black Seal Dark Rum and Ginger Beer). Very nice and famous old hotel with an interesting statue of Mark Twain sitting on a bench in the lobby. Great photo op. Total spur of moment thing when we dropped in looking for lunch and very pleasant experience.

Don't forget Bermuda Onions too! Onion Rings at the Frog & Onion bar/restaurant near Kings Wharf were pretty good. We brought home several bottles of Sherry Pepper sauce and a little goes a long way so have not run out yet after five years.

Best rum swizzles are at the Swizzle Inn. Really like their conch fritters as well!

I second the motion......

You definitely HAVE to do The Swizzle Inn

http://www.swizzleinn.com/

Great atmosphere , THE BEST Rum Swizzles on the island, and you must try the Nachos. The one in Bailys Bay is walking distance from the Crystal Caves, and right across the street from a stop for one of Bermuda's great buses.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the National cocktail, the Dark and Stormy.

Made with Bermuda's own Gosling's Black Seal Rum and Gosling's Stormy Ginger Beer. Delicious.

If you can't wait to get to Bermuda, they make a good one onboard. But they can't match the Rum Swizzles:D

Popular Dishes in Bermuda:

Hoppin' John - This favorite is made of papaya, rice and peas. It is a casserole that is often made with meat or chicken.

Hash - This dish is made from shark.

Peas and plenty - This is made from black eyed peas that have been cooked with salt pork, onions and rice.

Sweet potato pudding - This healthy favorite contains lemon or orange juice, cinnamon and cloves mixed with sweet potatoes.

Cassava pie - This dish is made up of chicken, pork, eggs, cassava and sometimes brandy. It is meaty but sweet and looks like a pie made of layers.

Bermuda shark - Shark prepared with mustard greens, peppers and onions.

Mussel pie - Slightly curried and thick clam stew served in a pastry shell.

Portuguese red bean soup - This favorite is made with potato, tomato, chunks of ham, onion and kidney beans.

Conch Chowder - This favorite is made up of celery, onion, tomatoes, salt pork, cream, potatoes, and mollusks.

Bermuda fish chowder - This is a spicy and thick dish that is often served with rum and sherry pepper sauce. It is made of salt pork, fish, onions, herbs and tomatoes.

As for restaurants, I like the White Horse Tavern in St. George, and both the Hog Penny and the Muse Restaurant and Skybar in Hamilton.

Very informative, thank you so much!:)

I second the motion......

You definitely HAVE to do The Swizzle Inn

http://www.swizzleinn.com/

Great atmosphere , THE BEST Rum Swizzles on the island, and you must try the Nachos. The one in Bailys Bay is walking distance from the Crystal Caves, and right across the street from a stop for one of Bermuda's great buses.

This sounds very interesting- thanks!;)

A wonderful place we discovered this past October is The Breezes at the Cambridge Beaches Resort. This very tiny little restaurant is right on the beach - literally tables and chairs in the sand, as well as a lovely deck alongside the beach. The menu is rather diverse, and we were amazed at the both the quality and the quantity of the servings.

I enjoyed a truly delightful sandwich they call the BLTA - it's a BLT with sliced avocado, served on a rustic style bread. Divine!

As a bonus to this particular restaurant, it sits alongside "The Labyrinth" which is about as good a place as I could ever imagine whiling away a few hours. I felt as if I had been transported back in time, and to the most relaxing and beautiful place I could imagine. If you love flowers, wildlife, and peaceful wandering walks, this place is absolute heaven.

Ask any cab driver to take you to the Breezes at Cambridge Beach Resort. They all know where it is. I think it cost us somewhere around $12 each way, and well worth the cost.

I'm uploading some photos to shutterfly right now, and will post a few once they're finished.

EDIT: Do NOT let the appearance of this restaurant fool you. You approach it from behind, and it really looks like a shack. It's not. Trust me!

WaldosPepper, this sounds just like the kind of place we would enjoy. Looking forward to the pics, and thank you for taking the time to answer.

Honestly, in all five of my trips to Bermuda, this is the most memorable place we've found there. I could have spent a full day wandering the labyrinth, and would have happily eaten all three meals at the Breezes. :D

I just checked the timing on my upload, and there's more than an hour to go (I take a LOT of photos :o ). Once it's finished, I'll attach several. ;)

Honestly, in all five of my trips to Bermuda, this is the most memorable place we've found there. I could have spent a full day wandering the labyrinth, and would have happily eaten all three meals at the Breezes. :D

I just checked the timing on my upload, and there's more than an hour to go (I take a LOT of photos :o ). Once it's finished, I'll attach several. ;)

Looks amazing, I will definitely make a point to get there, thanks! Also noticed the resort does not allow children under 16, I assume that is for lunch also? No worries with me, our youngest is 23 :D but may be an issue for others.

Robin

Looks amazing, I will definitely make a point to get there, thanks! Also noticed the resort does not allow children under 16, I assume that is for lunch also? No worries with me, our youngest is 23 :D but may be an issue for others.

Robin

Wow! I never even realized that! :eek: Perhaps that's why it was so peaceful... ;)

Thanks for the heads-up to everyone, Robin! That is definitely an important little tidbit of info, for sure!

Sounds Amazing. Will definitely check it out. Thanks for sharing. Bermuda is truly one of the most gorgeous places.

Wow! I never even realized that! :eek: Perhaps that's why it was so peaceful... ;)

Thanks for the heads-up to everyone, Robin! That is definitely an important little tidbit of info, for sure!

The place sounds beautiful, and so close to the wharf. Is it possible to eat lunch there, then use their beach ?

The place sounds beautiful, and so close to the wharf. Is it possible to eat lunch there, then use their beach ?

That would not be possible, because the beach where the restaurant is located is extremely short, and very narrow. There are other beaches on the property, but they are certainly not public. ;)

As promised, here are a few photos...

The sign at the entrance to the Labyrinth...

ry%3D400

A closer shot, showing as much of the message as I could get into focus...

ry%3D400

One of the many unique spots to rest and reflect...

ry%3D400

Just a taste of the kind of interesting and delightful paths you'll find...

ry%3D480

There are literally dozens of interesting "finds" throughout, along with hundreds of different varieties of flora, birds everywhere, lizards, frogs, and even a chicken and rooster. There is a Koi pond as well.

My recommendation would be to go and have lunch first, and then as the afternoon heats up, take refuge in the shade of the labyrinth, and enjoy. ;) Some of the paths are extremely narrow, like the one shown above, while others are almost like large meadows. At every turn, it is completely different, and thoroughly wonderful.

Archived