A level playing field please

peterhof

I may be wrong but I thought UK bookings could be transferred to another sailing without loss of deposit.

Yes that is correct but it is a Captains Club elite benefit as I recall, one transfer only

There is an issue that the travel agent market in the UK has gone downhill and product ignorance is rife there

I do not agree with the OP about availability, there was no issue about availability when booking opened on my next cruise (which I believe is one the OP is on) however, if an agent was not aware booking had opened, it could well be the case that some cabins had gone, though availability has been good on this one for a long time

We did see offers come in, each time I did the maths, each time I was still ahead with the price of my original booking and that remains true today

Today there is a big reduction on my cabin type and I could switch to it if I wanted. However it would mean me giving up my preferred room and moving to a guarantee which I will not be doing

There are some areas where I believe cruiselines have to recognise that they need to be more transparent in the pricing, there are times when for tactical marketing one country, or age group, is offered a better deal, but it has to be recognised that others become aware

I also take some of the price boasts on roll calls with a huge pinch of salt, it's like the "late night pub benchmarking of salaries" and like religion and politics should be off limits discussions onboard as it just causes angst.

So, although I believe cruiselines could do more to aid global transparency on deals at the time of booking, we do not live, as others have rightly said, in a level world. And compared to airlines, I still find Celebrity and Azamara very fair in how they handle price drops for me - I do book with them direct though

While I certainly empathize with you, why does everyone expect the cruise industry to be any different that other industries?

I have plane tickets booked for a trip to visit family this summer. Airlines change thier prices almost daily and do not compensate customers that have already purchased tickets.

Hotels change thier prices almost daily as well. They generally do not compensate customers if the price drops either.

Rental car agencies... Same thing! You pay what you agreed to pay.

So, as much as I love the fact that some cruise lines, in some situations will adjust your price if they lower rates, people need to understand that this is an exception to the normal practice of the travel industry...or any industry for that matter.

We should all be thankfull for the exceptions that are being made rather than demanding that the exceptions become the norm...becasue that just isn't going to happen! In fact, if the complaints continue, the exceptions will become more and more rare until they no longer exist.

I agree with what you say, however, in those cases there is a "Level Playing Field" as we are all in the same boat (excuse the pun) and no matter where you reside, the benefits and penalties are roughly the same. The service that you book is usually specific to the area where you are and each company applies different rules. The contract for those services complies with the laws in force of that country. Cruise ships passengers are governed by the law that exists in the country of ownership of the vessel, but only after they step aboard the ship - thus, no matter where that ship is at any given time, American owned ships comply with USA laws - however, at the time the passenger booked the cruise and in theory signed the contract, their local laws would apply.

A compicated issue and is one of the reasons why the Costa Concordia disaster is taking so long to sort out. The ship is owned by an American umbrella company (Carnival Corp) but Costa Lines are registered in Italy + the ship sank in Italian waters. The ultimate blame rests with the owners of the ship and their servants come under those laws. However, the Italian Captain and officers refuse to be tried under American law, especially as it is an Italian court. There are little if any precedences, so the legal battle could drag on for years. Neither side actually wants to create a precedence, but as lives were lost, this is a criminal trial and cannot be settled out of court.

To highlight the differences in law between USA & UK regarding alcohol and smoking. In theory an American ship in UK waters, especially when docked at a UK port, would have to comply with UK law - i.e. Alcohol can be served to anybody over the age of 16 and smoking is banned in any public area. The American ship applies USA law - i.e. alcohol only to those 21 and over and smoking is permitted wherever the ship wants to allow. Similarly, when a UK owned ship (not Cunard & P&O as they are now USA ships) is in American waters they do not have to apply with USA alcohol & smoking laws - or do they?

Another difference is that as the ships are American owned, UK & European headquarters of the cruise lines, who do have to comply with the law of the country they are in, sell cruises at prices that they want. The non USA headquarters is always a stand-alone seperate company from the main company that owns the ships - buying from the umbrella company cabin space. They are in fact a franchise company, similar to KFC and McDonalds, but governed more stringently by the umbrella company.

Paul

Yes that is correct but it is a Captains Club elite benefit as I recall, one transfer only

There is an issue that the travel agent market in the UK has gone downhill and product ignorance is rife there

I do not agree with the OP about availability, there was no issue about availability when booking opened on my next cruise (which I believe is one the OP is on) however, if an agent was not aware booking had opened, it could well be the case that some cabins had gone, though availability has been good on this one for a long time

We did see offers come in, each time I did the maths, each time I was still ahead with the price of my original booking and that remains true today

Today there is a big reduction on my cabin type and I could switch to it if I wanted. However it would mean me giving up my preferred room and moving to a guarantee which I will not be doing

There are some areas where I believe cruiselines have to recognise that they need to be more transparent in the pricing, there are times when for tactical marketing one country, or age group, is offered a better deal, but it has to be recognised that others become aware

I also take some of the price boasts on roll calls with a huge pinch of salt, it's like the "late night pub benchmarking of salaries" and like religion and politics should be off limits discussions onboard as it just causes angst.

So, although I believe cruiselines could do more to aid global transparency on deals at the time of booking, we do not live, as others have rightly said, in a level world. And compared to airlines, I still find Celebrity and Azamara very fair in how they handle price drops for me - I do book with them direct though

Hi - great post and I would love to spend an hour or so sorting the world out whilst we are on the cruise.

Now that UK discounts are gone, booking direct with the cruise line could be the way to go.

Regards

My sympathies extend to the OP who 's valiant attempts to highlight disparity have been rewarded with the predictable 'jingoistic' nonsense that absolutely miss the point?

However being a graduate from the University of Life I very much doubt any amount of whispers of the Chinese kind will in fact change anything, no matter how loud they are.

IMHO the only way an organisation/business ever sits up and takes notice is when their customers vote with their feet. If I'm not happy with a deal or feel others are being treated better I always have the fallback of taking my business elsewhere! ;)

Archived