Tesco Store near Southampton Port

pshaze

Does anyone know if the Tesco grocery store near the port would have soda for sale?

We are considering leaving the ship once we check in and walking to the store to pick up some soda. (I need caffeine free diet soda which they do not have on board) It appears to be about a 1/2 mile from the dock. We are leaving from the Ocean Terminal.

Any thoughts?

Tesco

Block E, Retail Unit 11, Ocean Village, Ranges Court, Southampton SO14 3JS, United Kingdom

It's one of Tesco's small convenience shops, called Tesco Express.

Yes they'll sell Coke & Pepsi's & such, in all sizes, and probably wine too. And at very reasonable prices.

It's not too convenient, being the wrong side of the city centre for train & coach services, and Ocean terminal is the only terminal from which it's really possible to walk. If you arrive by ship's airport transfer coach you may not have time, but you could ask the driver to give you a lift back to the port gate. In fact, if you mention Ocean Village to him & he's going that way............ ;)

No restrictions on pedestrians through the port gate, & sidewalks all the way to Ocean terminal.

Ocean Village is the old cross-channel ferry port, it was re-vamped two or three decades ago in a great fanfare as a new entertainment focus for the city, plus a few offices & apartments. Over the years the entertainment, waterside dining etc petered out to be replaced by more & more housing & offices, making it just another housing estate. That Tesco Express is on the site of the previous shops/restaurants building, and the feature Calshot lightship on the google-earth photo has since gone too. The Tesco Express is effectively a local community general store.

But enough of my laments :rolleyes: - it'll do the job for you. :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Cunard+Road,+Southampton&daddr=Ocean+Village,+Ranges+Court,+Southampton+SO14+3JS&hl=en&ll=50.895982,-1.396337&spn=0.003492,0.02399&sll=50.895745,-1.396401&sspn=0.00385,0.011995&geocode=FYyWCAMdBKPq_yl7JLWDzHZ0SDH7oG-jNDm8mg%3BFQifCAMdGb_q_yGylX3QbynGfinZiUA6NHF0SDGylX3QbynGfg&oq=Cunard+Road+&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.896388,-1.392962&panoid=KhYRgs018KLcSG1ZAWMh5w&cbp=11,33.15,,0,0

There's another Tesco in the West Quay retail park. But it's a home&leisure store (clothing & kitchen appliances & such), not a grocery store

JB :)

Thanks for the replies!

JB,

We are taking the Transfer bus from Central London via Stonehenge with International Friends. We are suppose to arrive at the port at 12:30 - 13:00. The ship sails at 17:00. As long as we don't run into any snags we should have plenty of time.

Newport Dave,

Thanks for the link. I tried to see if that particular store carried the Caffeine free Diet Coke using their system. Unfortunately, their system would not let me register. Not sure why. So if anyone that shops in those stores could check for me that would be wonderful!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies!

JB,

We are taking the Transfer bus from Central London via Stonehenge with International Friends. We are suppose to arrive at the port at 12:30 - 13:00. The ship sails at 17:00. As long as we don't run into any snags we should have plenty of time.

Thanks again!

5pm sailing probably means latest registration by 3.30pm. But yes, you should have enough time. You won't need to worry about your checked bags, coach's passengers may be asked to identify their bags once off-loaded, but that's it.

You can ask the driver to give you a lift to the port gate on his way out, but he may be obliged to take a mandatory break before he leaves, and because he's not locally-based he's unlikely to be going past Ocean Village.

Not 100% sure about caffeine-free (didn't notice that bit in your post) diet coke at Tesco Express.

I believe there's no luggage restriction on I F's cruise buses, so you might like to buy in London before you board?

JB :)

Thanks for the replies!

Newport Dave,

Thanks for the link. I tried to see if that particular store carried the Caffeine free Diet Coke using their system. Unfortunately, their system would not let me register. Not sure why. So if anyone that shops in those stores could check for me that would be wonderful!

Thanks again!

Tesco certainly sell Caffeine free Diet Coke but whether that particular store would stock it I have no idea. It would depend on the demand.

Archived