Does it get old after awhile?

SueSun

I am on the Triumph on 7/11....is the ship still in great shape? Just got my docs and are seeing I am leaving in under 30 days...I have not even started packing. Is this what happenes to you when you have cruised 3 or 4 times before?? I used to have started packing MONTHS prior to departures before.....now....nothing.

How many have booked a cruise 6 to 12 months out thinking thier lives would be the same only to find out things in life are soooo much different? When I booked this one....life was simple. Now...kids are in drivers ed, maybe summer school., house needs tending to....my mom is going in for knee replacement 5 days before we leave, it goes on and on. Dont get me wrong..I am ready to go...this just feels different.

Sue,

It sounds like you NEED a cruise. I hope you have people you can count on to be there for Mom while you are gone, as well as the kids, if they are staying home. The house will still be there when you return. You are just feeling the pressures of daily life and wondering if the world will stop revolving when you aren't there to take care of everything.

It won't. Everything at home will be fine and waiting for you. But you will be in a state of euphoria on a cruise ship, relaxed and enjoying yourselves. When you step on board, you can leave your cares on the gangway.

Enjoy your vacation! (No, it never gets old.)

Janet

We just returned a month ago today from our 4th cruise and even though I found myself only thinking of it daily for the two months prior I felt the same way you do. I remember packing months in advance the first two cruises. then the third about a month beofre but this last one I was packing two days ahead and not really caring if I forgot or fo rthat matter remembered everything. Once I got on the ship all the great fuzzies came back I forgot all that was going on at home and work and had a FANTASTIC trip YOU will too

I think there are two things going on. Like piano girl you may subconsciously not be so worried cause you've done this before and know what to expect so don't feel so much pressure to plan ahead.

My last cruise was to a place I've never been before and when I booked it I was excited but then as we got closer I had so many things going on that I just kept thinking 'i'll think about the trip once this is finished then once this is finished etc.'

Finally 10 days before departure I put everything else aside, packed and got into the spirit. Just to let you know everything was fine and in some ways it was even better without all the stress of over planning. Only thing was when I got home I couldn't stop talking about it for a week. I think all my friends were sick of hearing about it:o

I know how you feel Sue.

I leave next Thursday for Long Beach to sail on the Pride on the 26th. I'm not even excited about it. I happy as heck to get away from work and go on vacation, but not really excited about the cruise.

Reading some of the previous posts does kind of put it in perspective. This is our 4th cruise, did a land vaction in Jamaica last summer, and for the most part we already have all those little things set aside for travel. Extra shaving kit with personal items always packed and set aside. My wife has her over the door thingy always packed and set aside. Maybe it's just that we don't have those " what do I need to pack and what do I need to buy" insecurities anymore.

I'm sure I'll have a great time, but I sure do miss the excitement a little.

First time cruising is kinda like your first love. Nothing like it, but great to be where I am.

I think after you have gotten used to all the packing each time you know what to expect. Know what you need and don't need for the trip and ports of call. Know what kinds of clothing you need and maybe for that fact doesn't take you as long to do the packing.

My wife started to lay out everything about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time when we first started to cruise and we just got off the 6th cruise she packed about a week ahead.

I personal started to get excited about 2 weeks ahead when we start having to purchase some of the little things like film. Then, my mood gets better and I know that relaxing times are need. Nothing beats being on the deck at 4 or 5 o'clock and everything starts to move slowly away from the dock. Or having the sea days and standing on the deck looking out to nothing but open blue ocean, and knowing you are away from everything, family, friends and my favorite work.

Thanks all for all the wonderful words. I think you all are right....I am READY to go...much more ready this time than any other!!!

We travel frequently so I guess in a way I am pretty much pre-packed for just about anything. Knowing what to expect on the ship does make it that much easier to travel with less.

Once I am drinking a coffee on that balcony wrapped up in my fuzzy robe and watching the sun rise over the ocean......the rest of the problems back home will have to take a back burner.!!!:)

You guys were all so helpful with me so I thought I'd say give you my opinion...

If you really feel like cruising is getting to be a routine maybe and that some the excitement is just not there anymore... may I suggest that you go somewhere else for a year or two... like ibiza/madrid, a vegas trip, but not just a regular vegas trip cuz everyones been there, do it like us... rent a car, go to San Diego, L.A. and Vegas... So thats an option to go abroad and stay in the states...

After doing that, there will probably be a new ship, or a ship with a new theme... who knows, things seem to be changing quickly now days... then.. the excitement and the "first cruise" feeling will be back! :D

By the way, there are some crazy vacation packages out there at resorts a lot of us never knew exsited, give them a chance...

Archived