Paestum - getting there and back from Salerno Q's

OnlyMe

We are a group of 5 - 2 small children, MIL, OH and I.

We are looking at 2 options for our Salerno stop depending on how exhausted we are by the end of our cruise:) ... One of the options we are looking into is going to the beach at Paestum.

I have been reading about getting a train from Salerno and then walking to the beach past the ruins BUT can anyone tell me if it would be possible / easy to get a taxi from the train station to the beach and / or ruins? And also get a taxi back? I know it is a relatively short walk but our stop will be at the end of our cruise and MIL may struggle with the distance.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

I don't think it would be easy to get a taxi from the train station in Paestum - it's a small station in the middle of nowhere.

You can walk from the Paestum station to the ruins, a short half mile. Near the ruins you can get a taxi to take you to the beach, which is about a mile and a half from the ruins.

Thank you very much for that information! A half mile we all can do no problem so the walk to the ruins would be manageable. I have a couple more questions if thats ok -

Do you think it would be possible to get a taxi back from the beach to the train or even the ruins or would we have to walk to the ruins to get one?

Is it easy enough to find the ruins from the Train Station? Are there any signposts?

Thank you so much for your help

It's been several years so I don't remember if there were signs, but you really don't need them.

Make yourself a google map and you'll see how easy this is:

The train station is at the intersection of Strada Provinciale 168 and Via Porta Sirena (these coordinates will put you in the area: 40.421803,15.014607).

The museum is on Via Magna Grecia (these coordinates: 40.423371,15.006732).

When you get off the train, walk away on the street that is perpendicular to the station (Via Porta Sirena). Turn right on Via Magna Grecia.

The closest beach access is at the end of Via Nettuno (40.415571,14.988288), one and a third miles from the museum.

I've never been there during the summer season when the beach businesses are open so I can't be positive about this, but I would imagine that someone there can call a taxi for you.

Don't count on finding a lot of English speakers there (at the beach), however. If you don't speak some Italian, get some key phrases written down ahead of time to help you explain what you need.

It's been several years so I don't remember if there were signs, but you really don't need them.

Make yourself a google map and you'll see how easy this is:

The train station is at the intersection of Strada Provinciale 168 and Via Porta Sirena (these coordinates will put you in the area: 40.421803,15.014607).

The museum is on Via Magna Grecia (these coordinates: 40.423371,15.006732).

When you get off the train, walk away on the street that is perpendicular to the station (Via Porta Sirena). Turn right on Via Magna Grecia.

The closest beach access is at the end of Via Nettuno (40.415571,14.988288), one and a third miles from the museum.

I've never been there during the summer season when the beach businesses are open so I can't be positive about this, but I would imagine that someone there can call a taxi for you.

Don't count on finding a lot of English speakers there (at the beach), however. If you don't speak some Italian, get some key phrases written down ahead of time to help you explain what you need.

Wow, thank you very very much!!You have gone to so much trouble for me - thank you! I will definately do out some phrases in Italian to take with us and hopefully we will make our way Ok. Thanks again for all your help!

Archived