newbie-have a couple of questions

jerseymermaid

What is a jumbo clothes pin? I try to bring a few clothes pins (but forget half the time) to pin out swimsuits to the chairs on the balcony to keep them from blowing away while at sea. It's one of the few packing tips I read here that was actually useful for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been told to bring clothespins, should they be normal size or jumbo?

Next question- what to do with carry on bag when we board the NCL jewel?

Thanks for all your help.:confused:

Well that depends what you will be using the clothespins for. There is a pull out clothes line in the shower. If you plan on using that for wet clothes then regular clips would be find. On the older ships, some people would bring clothes pins to hold the annoying shower curtain down and to stop it from curling up on you. However, the Jewel would probably have the sliding shower doors. I have not been on the Jewel so I am not absolutey sure on the shower doors. I bring zip lock bags and find all kinds of useful ways to use them. They come in handy at the chocolate buffet to bring some snacks back to your cabin for late night. As far as what to do with carry ons during embarkation, I keep mine with me until they call our cabin. However, there is usually an announcement to advise where you can store your carry on until your cabin is ready. It differs from ship to ship. Enjoy! :)

Hmmm...I've never brought clothes pins. I DO always bring plastic bags for carrying home wet laundry and I pack anything liquid in them in case of spills.

Not trying to be snarky at all, and I really don't care who puts what on their balconies...BUT...it is a fire hazard to hang clothes out there and cruise lines generally frown on this practice. ;)

Hmmm...I've never brought clothes pins. I DO always bring plastic bags for carrying home wet laundry and I pack anything liquid in them in case of spills.

Not trying to be snarky at all, and I really don't care who puts what on their balconies...BUT...it is a fire hazard to hang clothes out there and cruise lines generally frown on this practice. ;)

Okay, I'll bite. Why are clothes(a swimsuit) on the balcony a fire hazard?

I don't know how they're a fire hazard, but I know they're metioned at every muster drill we've been to. There's a stiff fine in some places ---like Alaska -- if you throw anything into the ocean, and flying swimsuits qualify as thrown. Also, do your neighbors on the balcony below need to inherit your things? I find things dry very well overnight in the bathroom. Plus, it takes away the laundry-in-the-tenament effect!

This is a guess, but I think the hazard might be from possible flying ash from cigarettes, then landing on clothing.

I always wondered why they don't like it when you hang out your "laundry" I did it on the CCL Victory in Canada so it would dry, and I could point out my balcony at the same time. When I got back from a walk, the stuff was gone,(they put it on my bed). They never told me why, and I was a little embarassed to ask. Now I can laugh about it again. Oh, I still bring clothespins tho.:D R.A.

I have been told to bring clothespins, should they be normal size or jumbo?

Next question- what to do with carry on bag when we board the NCL jewel?

Thanks for all your help.:confused:

I have heard of people bringing super jumbo clothes pins to keep your towel (or clothes) from going places.

We were on the Dawn a week ago, just ask where you can leave your carry on until your cabin is ready...in our case, they were stored in a forward lounge, they gave us a tag, and we picked it up when our cabin was ready.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't hang out your wet clothes on your balcony (like with jumbo clothes pins). Looks trashy - really.

Do you have an onboard condo and are worried about your property values or something? I don't understand how drying out a swimsuit 'looks trashy'.

I also think most people lay them out on the chairs and use the clothes pin to clip them in place. I can't imagine people hanging them over the balcony! A clothespin is no match for a strong wind. (And I haven't seen NCL's balconies, but the ships I've been on, there would be no way to secure clothes OVER the balcony.)

Archived