What months are the worst for docking at Cayman?

mconthehighseas

I've been seeing a lot of posts about how ships sometimes do not get to go to Grand Cayman because of rough seas. I think I've seen it mostly for the March timeframe, sometimes Feb and Apr too. Is that just my imagination?

I am personally interested in a December cruise, but thought people could share their experiences.

Adventure of the Seas 9/21/03 - wish I was still there!!!

It looks like all the ships are skipping Grand Cayman at the moment.

The best months are from March till July, maybe till June...but there is always a skippingchance of 40%

[url="http://www.caymanport.com/webcams.htm"]http://www.caymanport.com/webcams.htm[/url]

We have had great weather in November. Grand Cayman was one of my favorite ports - especially Sting Ray City.

Another co worker also went late Nov/ Early Dec this year and they tendered into Grand Cayman with no problem.

Thanks, Bee Bop. [I][B]I[/B][/I] think that's good news. My DH may want an extra day at sea, though. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

we were supposed to go to grand caymen in december (2002) and weren't able to because of the weather. hoping to make it in january 2005!

Miracle January 2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;1;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Carnival Victory Dec 2003
Carnival Sensation Jan 2003

So, if not able to dock, do you book a tour, and then lose money, do you wait? We are also planning for Dec, ie over christmas. I'm really curious about our chance s of getting a shore !

3 of my 10 cruises have had Gr Cay as a Port. We were able to tender both March (90 &04) trips but unable in Nov (02).

Holly

M/S Boheme 11/69
Rhapsody 2/77?
Azure Sea 3/89
Panama Canal 11/90
Mexican Riviera 3/98
Carnival Triumph 12/99
Carnival Spirit 12/01
NCL Dream 11/17/02
Celebrity Mercury 6/1/03
carnival Victory 3/28/04

I curious also...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by w5:
So, if not able to dock, do you book a tour, and then lose money, do you wait? We are also planning for Dec, ie over christmas. I'm really curious about our chance s of getting a shore !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would like to know before we book an excursion!!

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02/2002
Celebration
12/29/2003
Rhapsody of the Seas 11/14/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrsshmthaus:
I curious also...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w5:
So, if not able to dock, do you book a tour, and then lose money, do you wait? We are also planning for Dec, ie over christmas. I'm really curious about our chance s of getting a shore !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you book an excursion through the ship, you will get a refund. If you book on your own, the policy will depend on the tour operator. Some of them require advance notice to cancel, and some of them state if ship unable to tender then you will get refund. You might want to look for one that doesn't require a deposit. Nativeway (Swimming with Stingrays) doesn't require deposit or any information other than your name and doesn't expect any payment if you are not able to get onshore.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Mariner of the Seas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were also cancelled in February due to rough seas. We had booked a shore excursion through captain marvins but they gave us a full refund. Most reputable companies will give you your money back. They don't want the bad publicity and they know you won't use them again either. But on the positive side our captain high tailed it over to cozumel a day earlier and we got to spend an evening out on the town in cozumel.We're booked on the conquest in october and I hope we get to go to the cayman islands this time.I hope this was helpful.

• 2 months later...
We went last jan 04 and tendered just fine. Weather was great. But, my cousins had been in december with such rough seas they weren't able to tender, and for like the 3-4 weeks after we went, the Navigator didn't tender due to rough seas. So, I'm thinking we got lucky. But, we're booked again this Jan 05, so we're hoping we have no problems as there is soooo much more we want to see of Grand Cayman!:o

We've been on 2 RC cruises that had Grand Cayman as a port. We were able to anchor and use the tenders in December but not in June due to high winds. They threw a free drinks cocktail party before dinner that evening as compensation for not being able to go to Grand Cayman.

Archived