Big Problem!!! Vacation-itis!

MISStheboat

I have a big problem right now - it's called vacation-itis! My Mom and I leave in 11 days and I can't wait! It's our first trip to Europe and the first time on the Epic. So much to do and see and so excited to go.... making it very hard to focus on......well........WORK!

So - anyone that wants to chime in with tips, great memories, fun ideas, etc - help me pass the time! :D

I have a big problem right now - it's called vacation-itis! My Mom and I leave in 11 days and I can't wait! It's our first trip to Europe and the first time on the Epic. So much to do and see and so excited to go.... making it very hard to focus on......well........WORK!

So - anyone that wants to chime in with tips, great memories, fun ideas, etc - help me pass the time! :D

OK...I'm game! I'm doing Europe on Epic late May. To stave off vacationitis, I went ahead and booked a 4 day for this week! Leave on Thurs. You can try that. :D

I am having the same exact problem, you are not alone. ;) I have 13 days, 2 hours and 8 minutes until we fly out for Copenhagen to do our 9 day Baltics Capitals cruise and I am finding it very hard to concentrate here at work (at lunch now:p). My mind keeps wandering to things I still need to do, buy and find at home to pack. I have a countdown clock on my laptop at home and on my desktop here at work so I keep looking at the days left.

I looked at Kroooz Cams at the New Orleans webcam yesterday and watched the Star sail out of there and head on the TA towards Copenhagen where we will be the next group to board. You might be able to find a cam where you can see your ship. There are also port cams for a lot of the ports so you can take a look at them as well.

These are all new ports for us so I am researching history on all of them and have several tour guide books with information on the sites. I also have searched the board here and a general google search for my cabin number and found pictures of it to look at as well as looking at all of the reviews on the ship on here. You can research your ports and any hotels on Trip Advisor and look for reviews of your hotel. Lots of information there.

I hear ya! I feel like I have this disorder all the time though! :rolleyes:

We just booked our 2014 Thanksgiving cruise so I have a long time to think about that one. Happily leaving for a weekend in Boston Thursday (planned and paid for long before this latest tragedy, although we feel completely safe), then probably nothing else until our Thangsiving 2013 trip to Grand Cayman, which is a land vacation.

We did Europe last year on another line and met some people heading to the Epic on a pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. They were so excited and I know you will have a great time!

My wife and I did that same itinerary on our honeymoon (also on the Epic) and loved it.

Barcelona is a beautiful, beautiful city. Make sure you go to see the Sagrada Familia cathedral. It's been under construction since 1882 and still has another 30 to 40 years to go. It is magnificent on the outside and inside -- do not skip going inside! For a panoramic view of Barcelona, the extra money to go up in the elevator is well worth it.

I don't know if you booked excursions or not for your ports, but we didn't. We found that the public transportation was excellent, and easy to use. In particular, Civitavecchia has the train station walking distance from the port, and it will bring you right into Rome, cheap and easy. The kiosks that sell the train tickets operate in English, too, and take major credit cards.

Speaking of credit cards, be sure to advise your bank that you will be traveling outside the country, so you'll be able to use them if need be. We found using the ATM to take out euros much easier than converting money.

Palma de Mallorca was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Take the old scenic train to Soller -- it's wonderful.

Have fun!

I love the responses - thank you! Yes - I get vacation-itis when I come home too - and in between - wow, guess I suffer from it ALL the time too- ha, ha!! ;)

@dcipjr - thanks for the great tips since you had the same itinerary - we are definitely going to La Sagrada Familia the day we board the ship! Then to buy some wine and water to take onboard!

Love all the tips and pointers from everyone - now to search for a cruise cam!!

OK...I'm game! I'm doing Europe on Epic late May. To stave off vacationitis, I went ahead and booked a 4 day for this week! Leave on Thurs. You can try that. :D

When I get back from this trip with Mom, will book something for the fall with hubby! Then I can start the countdown again!!!

Does anyone else have cruise ship dreams? :eek: Or is it just me? :o When I have cruising on the mind, I tend to have lots of cool cruise ship dreams. :D I actually had one where the ship pulled up to my house. :cool:

160 days till we are back on the Epic cruising out of Barcelona - 4th time cruising the Med, 2nd time on the Epic!!! You are going to have one of the bestest, most funnest, totally coolest times of your life (yes, I instantly revert to a 10 year old when I contemplate cruising:D)

Your first night: Sit outside of a little cafe on Las Ramblas or in the old town eating tapas and drinking sangria while people watching and listening to some nearby musicians and just soak in all that fabulous ambiance. Barcelona is one of the most beautiful cities in the world...

But, keep this in mind - you need to have a few backup plans just in case some of your current plans are changed- you probably won't need these backup plans, but it gives you more things to plan over the next 10 days - see another day already gone;)

Also for me: 19 days till Hawaii and the POA --- I have to keep myself busy during the next 160 days till I am back in Barcelona:p

160 days till we are back on the Epic cruising out of Barcelona - 4th time cruising the Med, 2nd time on the Epic!!! You are going to have one of the bestest, most funnest, totally coolest times of your life (yes, I instantly revert to a 10 year old when I contemplate cruising:D)

Your first night: Sit outside of a little cafe on Las Ramblas or in the old town eating tapas and drinking sangria while people watching and listening to some nearby musicians and just soak in all that fabulous ambiance. Barcelona is one of the most beautiful cities in the world...

But, keep this in mind - you need to have a few backup plans just in case some of your current plans are changed- you probably won't need these backup plans, but it gives you more things to plan over the next 10 days - see another day already gone;)

Also for me: 19 days till Hawaii and the POA --- I have to keep myself busy during the next 160 days till I am back in Barcelona:p

We're sailing on the same days but on Liberty of the Seas. I wanted so much to switch over to the Epic, but couldn't because our flight arrangements. We're so excited, we've hired a private guide to take us around Barcelona on the 28th.

I hear ya! I feel like I have this disorder all the time though! :rolleyes:

We just booked our 2014 Thanksgiving cruise so I have a long time to think about that one. Happily leaving for a weekend in Boston Thursday (planned and paid for long before this latest tragedy, although we feel completely safe), then probably nothing else until our Thangsiving 2013 trip to Grand Cayman, which is a land vacation.

We did Europe last year on another line and met some people heading to the Epic on a pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. They were so excited and I know you will have a great time!

You're the first person I've noticed on here that has a longer wait than me! We're Oct 2014. I've had vacation itis ever since we booked. It's our first time in a suite so I started on CC searching or info about the suite life and have been hooked ever since.

You're the first person I've noticed on here that has a longer wait than me! We're Oct 2014. I've had vacation itis ever since we booked. It's our first time in a suite so I started on CC searching or info about the suite life and have been hooked ever since.

Also gotcha beat. Nov. 2014. Also have a suite(2 bedroom) booked. Had vacationitis so bad that ended up booking ANOTHER cruise before the Nov 2014 just because I couldn't wait that long to go on one.(never planned on the second(closer) one, but just couldn't wait 20 months for the other. :D

I love the responses - thank you! Yes - I get vacation-itis when I come home too - and in between - wow, guess I suffer from it ALL the time too- ha, ha!! ;)

@dcipjr - thanks for the great tips since you had the same itinerary - we are definitely going to La Sagrada Familia the day we board the ship! Then to buy some wine and water to take onboard!

Love all the tips and pointers from everyone - now to search for a cruise cam!!

Here is the link to the site that I use for the webcams. http://kroooz-cams.com/

Does anyone else have cruise ship dreams? :eek: Or is it just me? :o When I have cruising on the mind, I tend to have lots of cool cruise ship dreams. :D I actually had one where the ship pulled up to my house. :cool:

YES! I thought I was the only one! Lol :D I think it's from me reading CC on my ipad in bed right before sleep! I LOVE THOSE DREAMS! :cool:

Also gotcha beat. Nov. 2014. Also have a suite(2 bedroom) booked. Had vacationitis so bad that ended up booking ANOTHER cruise before the Nov 2014 just because I couldn't wait that long to go on one.(never planned on the second(closer) one, but just couldn't wait 20 months for the other. :D

Wonder if I can talk my hubby into this :confused: he prefers newer ships so I could book an older, smaller, cheaper cruise for this fall! Then he'll be really impressed with the suite on the Breakaway! Hmmm ;)

Yes, I have done so many searches on suites, using probably every possible iteration of the words 'ncl, suite, haven, pearl, kids'. Ha ha!!! :D

Camz and English 101, I also have dreams about cruises...which I also think are due to late night iPad/cruise critic sessions!

Yes, I have done so many searches on suites, using probably every possible iteration of the words 'ncl, suite, haven, pearl, kids'. Ha ha!!! :D

Camz and English 101, I also have dreams about cruises...which I also think are due to late night iPad/cruise critic sessions!

I say keep em coming! Lol hey...it could be like experiencing 530 cruises before I even set sail! Lol :cool:

Wonder if I can talk my hubby into this :confused: he prefers newer ships so I could book an older, smaller, cheaper cruise for this fall! Then he'll be really impressed with the suite on the Breakaway! Hmmm ;)

There you go!!!! Now there's an idea! :D

Archived