Freedom from the Mouse! Our first non-Disney cruise, and we LOVED it!

This is a great review, I agree that your style is really similar to KansCocoa's.

I've sailed 6 times on DCL, 4 on the Magic, 1 on the Wonder and 1 on the Fantasy, but we're looking forward to our trip to the Baltic on Adventure of the Seas in June!

One thing we found that was a surprise, the balcony staterooms that fit 4 people consider the double bed as sleeping space for 2, which means my DD (12) is going to have to sleep in the same bed as my DS(10). I loved that DCL had the lower twin from the couch and the upper berth so they had separate beds. Is this the same on Freedom? I'm hoping it's just the Voyager class and we can have a balcony with 3 beds on another RCCL class ship?

Really not sure? Our room had a double pull out couch, but not sure if they have but bunk bed styles in other cabins? Also, which did you prefer, the Magic or the Fantasy?

I know on the Enchantment in September we have a Balcony room that has the two beds, the sofa bed and a pullman, so all 4 of us will have our own bed.

Nice!!!

Hence for the 2 times we cruised DCL, both were in January .... and one of them with kids sail free and we paid less than $90pp per day for an OV. I also can't justify the high price people are paying for Caribbean/Alaska cruises during high season. We've never been to WDW so every moment on the Disney cruise (my kids were 6 and 8 in last Dream cruise) was magical.

Absolutely! I'm all about getting the good deal! :D I really want to do an Alaskan cruise but don't they only cruise for a couple months in summer? Also, it's tough when the kids get older, we just can't take Ally out of school anymore so we are kind of stuck with peak season pricing on any vacation. Spring Break or summer..... Luckily, next year our spring break is 2 weeks before Easter so it is saving us almost $1000!!!!

YES you can you just might have to wait a little bit for a table to open up in their section. We did that on one cruise and they would tell us when to come back after we checked in. They actually do try to seat you in the same area each night if they can and you don't mind waiting. Wanda

Interesting..... We are now traveling next year with 2 other families, maybe 2 more if everyone books. Thought this might be good.

Great review! Waiting for more:)

I'm trying to get posted today!!!

I'm loving your review! You are doing an awesome job of getting me excited for my September cruise on the Freedom (well... even more excited). :) Thanks for that.

I can't wait to read more.

Okay, so the entire review is awesome but this comment was the funniest thing I've read in a review.

And just for the record, only 332 days until my next cruise!!!! :p

Really enjoying your review and writing style. Nice job! I sailed Freedom in 2009 and am looking forward to my upcoming cruise.

Freedom has definitely spoiled me for other ships.....

Thanks for starting yet another great review! I can't wait to read more

Hoping the wait won't be too long!!!

i'm just starting your review and loving every word of it so far!

i haven't been on RCCL yet.....my first time will be this august...

we're as disney as they come...

at least 3 weeks in disney world every year for 30 years (yes you read that right :eek:)...

and 3 disney cruises (last one was on the Dream)..

we won't get entirely away from the mouse though - 4 days at WDW before the cruise and another 2 after the cruise....(i don't know how we're going to manage so little time in the world!! :eek: :eek:)

DD already paved the way for us - she and her husband did a honeymoon cruise on the Radiance of the Seas in Alaska and said RCCL was GREAT - so i can't wait to try RCCL out for myself! :)

I haven't been to WDW for just over a year!!! :eek: After living so close, it's kinda weird. Ally is really getting anxious to get back but we're thinking it will be a couple of years so she can take a friend along. I just think I enjoy cruising more these days...... But we'll be back in the World! Can't stay away!

i agree with you that they've outpriced themselves....

(by the way, i'm disneyholic family over on the dis :) )

But we can still love Disney!!!! :D

can you elaborate on why you prefer the freedom over the allure?

we still haven't booked for august (we're waiting until after final payment - since the idea of the cruise came up late, i figured i'd just wait and see if there's a price drop at that time)..

anyway, i haven't yet decided which we'll cruise - the freedom or the allure.. (freedom goes west that week and allure east)..

same question as above - can you elaborate on why you prefer the freedom?

Yes please! I'm waiting for this answer too!!!

In my opinion, you loose that personal touch that you get on smaller ships. Sure it's a huge ship and there's tons to do, but food wasn't that good anywhere except for the fee restaurants and service was really lacking. Overall our experience was not worth the money we paid.

Hi Beth. This is exactly how we felt. The ship is amazing to see but we cruise to relax. These ships are so HUGE that you have to allow a lot of time to get from point A to point B. You have to make reservations for all the shows before you get on the ship or you most likely won't get a seat. We like to play things by ear and have no clue what we are going to do from minute to minute. We found ourselves in the evening feeling very rushed and watching our watches so we wouldn't miss the shows. The entertainment was fantastic but service as well as attitude from the crew was not good.

I just think because the ships are so big and there are so many passengers the crew is just very overwhelmed. We always get at least a balcony cabin and the bathroom was so tiny you could barely turn around in it. I am 5' 4" and weigh 120 lbs. so it's not like I'm a huge person. We paid more for this cruise than any other. For us it just wasn't worth it.

I compared our cruise on Allure to a trip to WDW - you feel like you need a vacation after your vacation.

We really missed all the ocean views. The only time we really saw the ocean was sitting on our balcony. The focus of these ships seems to be "inward".

Every time I post something negative about our cruise on Allure someone posts something nasty that is why I usually don't. Just giving you our experience and my opinion.

OK, so maybe I should have just read ahead! lol I have heard this a lot about Allure and Oasis. But for those who have jumped from a smaller ship onto these, they love it. I just think it would be to large for us, too. Freedom is my girl!!!

For $70 a day on Royal Caribbean, you get a room, unlimited 24 hour a day excellent food and great shows. $70 will not even buy you a ticket to get into Disney World.

You got that right! But they are two totally different types of vacations. And I am still a Disney geek so I do love my time with the mouse. Just not on a ship anymore. Sorry, Mickey, I've moved on. It's not you, it's me. Well, actually it IS you! :D

thanks for taking the time to elaborate! :)

i still don't know what to do...

it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to try out the allure (unless i get on board when the oasis or allure come to europe for dry dock)...

i get what you're saying.....ocean view is the biggest attraction for me...

and relaxation......and service (you'd think i'd switch to the luxuries with a priority list like that - if not for cost, i might)..

but on the other hand, i'd like to see it once...though it's going to be more expensive than the freedom the same week...

i also prefer the eastern itinerary (where the allure will be that week) over the western (freedom's route the same week)..

i dunno...

we shall see...perhaps the decision will be made for me...

who knows...maybe there won't be any rooms left after final payment..

by the way, does the regular balcony room on the freedom have a larger bathroom than on the allure?

OK, here's what you need to do. You need to go on Allure, come back and write a report, so that I will know what to do. Deal? :p

Love the review. We're doing rccl this year but thinking of decline in a couple of years. DS is only 2 so if going to spend "Disney" money we want him to remember it!

I would definitely do it when he's about 4 or 5. It's magical. They you can take 3 RCCL cruises for the price of 2 DCL after that.

More please!! :D

Hang on there buddy! I'm working on it!!!!

For $70 a day on Royal Caribbean, you get a room, unlimited 24 hour a day excellent food and great shows. $70 will not even buy you a ticket to get into Disney World.

Am I reading this correctly, that people are sailing on Freedom for $490 per person for a 7 day cruise? Not saying that CAN'T happen but it we be a rare deal IMO.

DSC_0176_zpsfbe43829.jpg

This is apparently for those of us who spend too much time in the Schooner Bar. Or Vintages. Or Bull and Bear. Or Boleros..... Well, you get the idea.

But I like it! People laughed at me every day as I held open the elevator door to take a picture!!!!

Now, since this ain't my first rodeo, or my first cruise for that matter, I knew to put out my room service card the night before so we'd have our breakfast before our breakfast. So I ordered toast for 1, assorted pastries for 3, coffee for 2 and a mimosa (don't worry, the elevators are there to tell me what day it is!!!).

And this is what I got.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is toast for 1.....

DSC_0071_zpsa2ed950b.jpg

Heck, even Denny's gives you two slices per order!!!

Wanna see what assorted pastries for 3 looks like?

DSC_0073_zpsb6904681.jpg

At least I got my mimosa!!!!

DSC_0074_zps880c52b2.jpg

Well, let's just say I learned my lesson on Monday. It's still Monday, right? Oh yeah, check the elevator.

Today we had no place to go, well, since that would be kind of tough in the middle of the ocean. The only thing to do was go have a REAL breakfast in Windjammer!

DSC_0113_zps3a87fcbe.jpg

You just can't beat that view for breakfast, whether it's breakfast 1 or breakfast 2.

One great thing I noticed each day in Windjammer was that there were always servers guiding you to a clean table. You really didn't have to wander around with a full tray, searching for an open table, then hop up on said table, doing the Macarena to try to get the attention of the rest of your party on the other side of the buffet. So we were able to put our things down, head out our separate ways, and reunite at our table. One less thing to stress about on MONDAY!

After breakfast, we headed out to the pool to claim our spots. The chair hogs were out in full force, but really, there was so much space that it didn't bother me. We were able to find four chairs together at the adult pool (Ally was off with her friends already!) and at least 1 of us was always there with our things. Even if we were IN the pool, we didn't just drop towels and leave.

The only problem with the chairs we got was they were in the shade. And believe it or not, the Caribbean can be COLD!!!!!

So we let PapPap bundle up and take a snooze while Jeff and I went to check out the cantilevered hot tub......

Say what?????

IMG_0116_zpsbcc11dec.jpg

Notice we are the only ones in the hot tub! Score!!!! No, I don't mean we SCORED!!!! :eek: Y'all have dirty minds!!!! I meant, well, forget it......

This was the only time all week that the hot tubs were empty, but I must say that I did not notice children in there, which was nice. We told Ally that if we saw them empty later in the evening, we'd let her go in with us. That would be the ONLY way. The solarium is well marked that it's for ages 16 and up.

See? No scoring happening.....

100_1806_zps672d1e29.jpg

So yes, we were going to break the rules. But if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a noise? AHA! Gotcha! Well, those who are still thinking about us scoring in the hot tub probably don't get it......

We spent most of the morning chilling, and let me just say we were CHILLING. The wind was unbearable. No way could you head up on deck without struggling. It was THAT windy.

But the solarium area is beautiful. And it was more than large enough for adults to relax and lounge without feeling crowded.

DSC_0078_zpsb07ca6ad.jpg

DSC_0081_zps66433609.jpg

I think these palm trees would grow well up North.

There was only so much wind and chillin we could handle. So we all made our way to lunch in Windjammer. Didn't we just have breakfast? Yes, but we are on a CRUISE! Not to mention, it's

DSC_0176_zpsfbe43829.jpg

Am I reading this correctly, that people are sailing on Freedom for $490 per person for a 7 day cruise? Not saying that CAN'T happen but it we be a rare deal IMO.

Maybe not Freedom, but when we were living in Florida we would see 3 night cruises sailing out of Jax, last minute for $159pp. So it's doable. I guess.

After lunch, we gals had a date HERE!

DSC_0090_zps8f893542.jpg

DSC_0091_zps2bda10d9.jpg

It was time to get our cupcake on!!!

I booked cupcake decorating before we boarded, and so glad we did it! Nana was fighting a cold though, so she wasn't feeling that well. And then when we got there we were told we were making a puppy.

What???? What about the burger and fries I had seen people carrying around earlier! No, I don't wanna make no stupid puppy!

DSC_0115_zpsb90f19ac.jpg

But look how cute they turned out!!!! Too bad Nana doesn't know how to use a camera.....

DSC_0120_zpsc3560810.jpg

Nana's cupcake....

DSC_0119_zps27c23662.jpg

Ally's cupcake....

DSC_0118_zps24e2da93.jpg

I think it also depends on when you travel and how far in advance you book. I'm going on the Freedom in September and I got a rate that is actually pretty close to the $490. Mind you I also booked my cruise about 4 months ago. Of course the rate isn't anywhere near that low anymore but if you book way in advance you might be able to get something close to the $490.

And MY cupcake!

DSC_0117_zpsdccc0831.jpg

Who knew I was a cupcake decorator???? :D

They tell you to eat the cupcakes within 4 hours I think? And let me just say, Ally was NOT going to let them go to waste!!!

DSC_0122_zps0e7e7644.jpg

Today was destined to be a pretty busy day, what with Macarena on the table (oh wait, we didn't have to do that this time!!!!), wind and cold on deck, cupcakes, now ice show and formal night tonight! Whew! Maybe we all need a nap!

We decided we might as well get cleaned up for the day before the ice show at 4pm. So Ally and I got ready first and decided to go find some friends....

DSC_0123_zpscb4aef7f.jpg

I must say, the Dreamworks characters were out ALL the time! I must have seen Gloria 2 or 3 times a day. And she was a HOOT! She was posing when we walked by and I said, "hey! I can do that too!" So then she started spinning around. Yeah, she got me there. Just watching her walk, with that big ole behind bobbing up and down, cracked me up every time. Imagine a hippo trying to be sexy. Yeah, those of you who thought we scored? You get that one, don't you!!!! :p

I think it also depends on when you travel and how far in advance you book. I'm going on the Freedom in September and I got a rate that is actually pretty close to the $490. Mind you I also booked my cruise about 4 months ago. Of course the rate isn't anywhere near that low anymore but if you book way in advance you might be able to get something close to the $490.

I think I need you to book my cruises for me! ;)

We were off to the bowels of the ship now to see the ice show. Wow. I was pleasantly surprised what they could do on a rink 1/8 the size of a regular figure skating rink. Yes, 1/8.

Now they couldn't build up the speed needed for Olympic type jumps, but it was still pretty impressive. I mean, we were on a ship. That was moving. The colors and music were all very upbeat and fun!

DSC_0127_zpsdd9408e0.jpg

DSC_0129_zpscccdc92c.jpg

DSC_0131_zps652f392c.jpg

DSC_0134_zps389a1549.jpg

DSC_0139_zpsd83473e8.jpg

DSC_0138_zps4ee562fb.jpg

I must say, the Dreamworks characters were out ALL the time! I

Random question- did you ever see the Madagascar Penguins?

I think I need you to book my cruises for me! ;)

Lol! I'll admit I got really lucky with that one. :)

Thanks again for the awesome trip report.

It's fairly easy to do but it's an inside cabin in either September or early December. Then you need to use a next cruise certificate and TA OBC to cover the taxes/port fees. Sometimes with a resident dicount you can get it down to $450 per person with taxes but not gratuities which of course are extra. I am cruising on the Freedom in September and with taxes/port fees it was $478.00 per person after OBC.

It's fairly easy to do but it's an inside cabin in either September or early December. Then you need to use a next cruise certificate and TA OBC to cover the taxes/port fees. Sometimes with a resident dicount you can get it down to $450 per person with taxes but not gratuities which of course are extra. I am cruising on the Freedom in September and with taxes/port fees it was $478.00 per person after OBC.

OK -- the above sounds more accurate. I live for THE DEAL and except for maybe a Tuesday Promowave I've never seen anything quite that low for a Freedom total fare (w/taxes and port charges factored in.) But I'll keep lookin'. :)

PS - Enjoying this review!

There are a dozen Freedom cruises RIGHT NOW that are less than $90 a night. The cheapest currently is $82 on Sept. 29th.

ETA:

interesting fun fact... if you can leave on Monday from Marseille, France, there is a 7-night on Legend that is currently $36/night.

Edited by poncho1973

Random question- did you ever see the Madagascar Penguins?

Lol! I'll admit I got really lucky with that one. :)

Thanks again for the awesome trip report.

Sort of..... There was a huge blowup of them at the Dreamworks parade. Does that count?

You are gooooood!