Silver Thatch Excursions - Geddes Hislop

kckitties

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if your cruise is offering this or you're doing it on your own. If this is the tour that takes you hiking on the Maestic Trail, it is quite different from the ordinary cruise tour. We went on the hike about 2 years ago and were very impressed with the guide's knowledge of the history and nature of Grand Cayman. The "hike" climbed "the" mountain on Cayman (about 60 feet high) and saw lots of wildlife, etc. I hope this is the tour you're referring to...

The hike was not through a cruise program. Matter of fact, I would be surprised if a cruiseline would pick up this as an excursion. The day we went, we were the only ones...it was really a private guide!

He does birdwatching and historical tours of Cayman as well. He is very knowledgable about Cayman!

I was planning a day for my sister when she cruised there, but the weather was too rough, anyway...a nice day would be to taxi to Pedro St. James or the Botanical Gardens and then to hike the Maestic Trail since they're all on the eastern side of the Island.

Just a thought...

I've been going to Cayman for about 15 years, so I'm happy to help with any questions... it's a WONDERFUL island.

• 10 months later...

We recently toured with Geddes and cannot say enough good things about him and his tour. Having been to Grand Cayman several times before we were shocked to see the destruction from the hurricane. Much of the vegetation is gone, and it of course has affected the wildlife. Hopefully much of it will return/regenerate after the rainy season.

Having done Stingray City and gone scuba diving on our other visits we were anxious to see the rest of the island. A tour with Geddes was just perfect. We did the Eastern Experience, which essentially means you drive throughout the entire eastern side of the island while Geddes provides information on the history and culture in Grand Cayman, as well as the flora and fauna along the way. We did not have an opportunity to do the Mastic Trail, and the Botanic Garden, which we were also considering, was not open at that time.

If you want to see Grand Cayman outside of the tourist area, Geddes is the way to go. He can be reached at silvert@hotmail.com.:)

P.S. He is also very accomodating as we arrived on the pier with two more people than he expected and advertised as being able to fit in his van. He rearranged everything in the van so we could all fit comfortably (10 of us).

Good luck and have fun! capashops

We did the Eastern Island tour with Geddes in Dec, and it was fabulous! He is a great guide, and as my husband and I were the only ones booked with him that day, it was wonderful to have a private guide! He showed us many different species of plants, trees, etc. and was always on the lookout for wildlife for us. (birds, etc) The lunch (sandwiches and 'dirty juice' - lemonade with brown sugar) his mother in law packed for us too was delicious, it gave us a taste of the islands.

I would HIGHLY reccomend him!

Just toured with Geddes last week (3/17 Conquest). Would highly reccomend his services. We saw Grand Cayman from a unique perspective with an excellent guide. You cant match this kind of service or truly see the Island with a packaged Tour. We saw five native Parrots in the wild as well as a number of other species, flora and fauna only native to the Caymans. We saw the Island as a native would see it , and the Dirty Juice and Sandwiches are as advertised. I enjoyed this excursion more than any other I have taken.

• 5 months later...
Just toured with Geddes last week (3/17 Conquest). Would highly reccomend his services. We saw Grand Cayman from a unique perspective with an excellent guide. You cant match this kind of service or truly see the Island with a packaged Tour. We saw five native Parrots in the wild as well as a number of other species, flora and fauna only native to the Caymans. We saw the Island as a native would see it , and the Dirty Juice and Sandwiches are as advertised. I enjoyed this excursion more than any other I have taken.

How long was this excursion? Does he have a website?

Tarheelbelle, I ran into a similar slow response from Geddes Hislop recently. It was just over a week before he replied. A bit slower than I would have expected, but his reply did address all my questions plus. I had found two email addresses for him -- silvert@hotmail.com and silvert@earthfoot.org -- I had used the first.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

We were going to do one of his tours in November but didn't end up doing it. However, if you are thinking about booking with him he now has very limited time that he does his independent tours as he is now working for the new Turtle farm and park. You may want to email him and see his availability.

Archived