I also booked! (And, a thank you)

Kirasha

Seeing other people post that they've booked their Alaska trips and it occurred to me that maybe I should finally do the same. I've been lurking here a loooooong time - my research began 3 years ago. Just hung out here and at Trip Advisor reading a ton of old posts, then listening to the new questions and answers. But at long last, I'm very happy to say that I am finally booked for my first Alaskan cruise in early May 2014 (NCL Norwegian Pearl), along with my husband and two great friends! The itinerary originally was an 8-day Vancouver > Juneau > Skagway > Glacier Bay > Ketchikan > Victoria > Seattle cruise. I recently received a notification from NCL that it is changing to a 10-day with this itinerary: Vancouver > Ketchikan > Juneau > Skagway > Icy Straight Point > Sitka > Victoria > Seattle - with no increase to my cruise fare. YEAH!!!!! I'm so psyched!! :D It seems so far away but I'm sure the time will go fast.

Okay what I really wanted to make sure I said: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you Alaska forum regulars who continue to answer the same questions over and over...you guys are so awesome. I have learned so much and even though I'm not doing a land tour this time around, I think I can arrange a DIY one in my sleep now for my next (inevitable) Alaska vacation. LOL

Kira

Ah, you beat me to it! I was just going to post my thank you as well. I didn't lurk long enough before booking my trip, learned as I went along (but it's all good now), but I would also like to thank each and every one of you who posted answers! I even learned things I had no idea I needed to know!

By luck, the ship I wanted didn't sail until the end of July (I was really looking at the beginning of July), and I didn't even realize black bear viewing was best after mid-July. I keep thinking of how lucky I got with that one!

I got so very little out of both the Fodors and Frommers cruise Alaska books. So much more information here, as long as you are willing to put up with some minor annoyances.

A very special thank you to those who mentioned watching cruise prices drop. I have now contacted my "replacement" TA twice, and received credit for the differences.

Another special thank you to those who mentioned the TA no longer receives a commission from the airlines. Saved hundreds of dollars re-booking our arrival flight ourselves compared to the price our original TA quoted.

I especially loved the photo reviews--found them incredibly helpful and it was a joy perusing them while dreaming of our upcoming vacation. Thank you all for your wonderful photo reviews.

And to Kira, the OP, congrats on your updated cruise! All the best to you, and have a wonderful vacation.

Seeing other people post that they've booked their Alaska trips and it occurred to me that maybe I should finally do the same. I've been lurking here a loooooong time - my research began 3 years ago. Just hung out here and at Trip Advisor reading a ton of old posts, then listening to the new questions and answers. But at long last, I'm very happy to say that I am finally booked for my first Alaskan cruise in early May 2014 (NCL Norwegian Pearl), along with my husband and two great friends! The itinerary originally was an 8-day Vancouver > Juneau > Skagway > Glacier Bay > Ketchikan > Victoria > Seattle cruise. I recently received a notification from NCL that it is changing to a 10-day with this itinerary: Vancouver > Ketchikan > Juneau > Skagway > Icy Straight Point > Sitka > Victoria > Seattle - with no increase to my cruise fare. YEAH!!!!! I'm so psyched!! :D It seems so far away but I'm sure the time will go fast.

Kira

That sounds like a wonderful itinerary!!! Do you know if it is just for the early May sailing, or will they be offering it throughout the season?

A very special thank you to those who mentioned watching cruise prices drop. I have now contacted my "replacement" TA twice, and received credit for the differences.

Another special thank you to those who mentioned the TA no longer receives a commission from the airlines. Saved hundreds of dollars re-booking our arrival flight ourselves compared to the price our original TA quoted.

So happy to hear you were able to catch a few price drops!! Is your "replacement" TA any better than the one s/he replaced?

Okay what I really wanted to make sure I said: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you Alaska forum regulars who continue to answer the same questions over and over...you guys are so awesome. I have learned so much and even though I'm not doing a land tour this time around, I think I can arrange a DIY one in my sleep now for my next (inevitable) Alaska vacation. LOL

Kira

You are going to have so much fun visiting Alaska. We are on the Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver. They had problems with docking for 2 of our ports, so we went from a 7 to 5 day and the 2 days we lost you gained. I think you have a great itinerary.

We made our trip still work for us too. We will spend the night in Vancouver, then board the Star Princess which will reposition back down to San Francisco to start their Alaska cruise season roundtrip out of San Francisco. (we are doing that cruise on the Grand next month). I wouldn't of connected the ability to board the Star if it hadn't been for CC and other posters who suggested it. We got phenomenal pricing and a longer cruise than we originally planned. PLUS now we only have to fly home from San Francisco rather than Vancouver. Win/Win in my opinion.

That sounds like a wonderful itinerary!!! Do you know if it is just for the early May sailing, or will they be offering it throughout the season?

It's a one time itinerary. We are on the cruise before which is a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver. Originally we were supposed to be 7 day cruise. When port issues developed, our cruise was shortened to 5 days and the Alaska cruise following our cruise was given the 2 extra days and ports for their cruise.

MilliesMom - I saw what happened with your cruise, and I'm really glad you were able to end up with a win/win situation. :) Hooray for not having to deal with YVR at the end, eh? That was one reason I chose our cruise.

fireflymd - I have been following your vacation research since you started - hard to believe your trip is finally around the corner! Thanks for asking all those questions, they certainy helped me plan as well. I'm jealous of your July bears. :D Next time for me! All the very best to you as well, I hope you have a fantastic time.

MilliesMom - I saw what happened with your cruise, and I'm really glad you were able to end up with a win/win situation. :) Hooray for not having to deal with YVR at the end, eh? That was one reason I chose our cruise.

fireflymd - I have been following your vacation research since you started - hard to believe your trip is finally around the corner! Thanks for asking all those questions, they certainy helped me plan as well. I'm jealous of your July bears. :D Next time for me! All the very best to you as well, I hope you have a fantastic time.

We had originally planned to spend a few days in Vancouver then fly home after the cruise. When we saw the rates for the 4 day Star Princess cruise back to Vancouver it was MUCH cheaper than a hotel in Vancouver.

Will be nice to fly into Los Angeles/Long Beach then fly home from San Francisco. We will also to get 2 days in Victoria (1 for each cruise). The rates for both are so good we could afford a suite too (our first).

We will also to get 2 days in Victoria (1 for each cruise). The rates for both are so good we could afford a suite too (our first).

We'll probably be so exhausted by the time our ship reaches Victoria that the most we'll do is walk around the harbor area. One port stop is definitely not enough time in that pretty city, two will be very nice indeed. I was jealous of fireflymd's July bears and now I am jealous of your suite, hehe! That's awesome.

We'll probably be so exhausted by the time our ship reaches Victoria that the most we'll do is walk around the harbor area. One port stop is definitely not enough time in that pretty city, two will be very nice indeed. I was jealous of fireflymd's July bears and now I am jealous of your suite, hehe! That's awesome.

I grew up in WA state so spent some time both in Vancouver and Victoria. Victoria being my favorite. We plan to just walk around the harbor, see the shops (some represent many countries), and enjoy. Going up we will have from 10 am to 7 pm I believe and coming back down to CA we will have from 7 am to 2 pm.

Must admit I'm excited about the suite too. Couldn't believe the pricing and it ended up a better deal than staying in Vancouver. Hubby agreed. Plus airfare will be so much less too.

We are jealous of your itinerary ... it's is going to be one amazing cruise. We are cruising this year roundtrip out of San Franciso and can't wait. It will be our 3rd cruise to Alaska, but our first time to Glacier Bay. Can't wait ... only 26 more days!!!!

So happy to hear you were able to catch a few price drops!! Is your "replacement" TA any better than the one s/he replaced?

I've learned to use the TA as a "technician"--I have researched enough on here and other websites so I no longer rely on any TA for advice. She responds to e-mail requests for contacting the cruise line for price drops, so that's good!

Oh, I didn't mean to make you jealous of the bear thing--I sometimes don't realize how I sound when I am posting! (And I didn't research early enough to discover Anan for black bear viewing--so that will be a next time for me as well.) Your post was just so generous, and so happy, I wanted to be a part of your thread. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Oh, I didn't mean to make you jealous of the bear thing--I sometimes don't realize how I sound when I am posting! (And I didn't research early enough to discover Anan for black bear viewing--so that will be a next time for me as well.) Your post was just so generous, and so happy, I wanted to be a part of your thread. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

No, no, I meant the bears comment as a little light-hearted joking! :) We can't do everything in one trip, so in my case I am going to covet everyone else's bears since I will probably be too early in the season to see any! :D I took the spirit of your post in the manner you meant it and it's great to see someone else expressing their thanks to this board - I don't think people do that enough online. Also: I can't wait to read your trip report!!

No, no, I meant the bears comment as a little light-hearted joking! :) We can't do everything in one trip, so in my case I am going to covet everyone else's bears since I will probably be too early in the season to see any! :D I took the spirit of your post in the manner you meant it and it's great to see someone else expressing their thanks to this board - I don't think people do that enough online. Also: I can't wait to read your trip report!!

Thanks for your reply! :)I really appreciate it!

I, like some of the previous posters used this web site and Alaska Trip advisor as a resource, but never posted. Through your help I have booked a 12day trip, on our own land and then Southbound Princess Cruise. I found names I never heard of such as Packard Expeidtions, Marv & Harv's, Kenali Fly Fishing and others.

Can't wait until our Sept 3rd departure and arrival in Alaska. Hats off to all of the regular posters to this site who share experiences to assist the novice.

I, like some of the previous posters used this web site and Alaska Trip advisor as a resource, but never posted. Through your help I have booked a 12day trip, on our own land and then Southbound Princess Cruise. I found names I never heard of such as Packard Expeidtions, Marv & Harv's, Kenali Fly Fishing and others.

Can't wait until our Sept 3rd departure and arrival in Alaska. Hats off to all of the regular posters to this site who share experiences to assist the novice.

I'm sure it will be a trip of a lifetime. How wonderful.

Archived