Thinking about giving Carnival a try

febtober

Ahoy!

I'm currently looking to a take a cruise out of New York City later this year (October-ish) with a coworker and am trying to decide between Carnival and NCL. We're two guys in our late 20's and we would each get our own cabin, either interior or possibly OV if on Carnival, or a studio if on NCL. If on Carnival, we'd be on the Splendor, and if on NCL, we'd most likely be on the Breakaway. We'll be doing either a Caribbean or Bahamas itinerary.

I've cruised twice before, once last year with the ex on the Norwegian Gem, and again a few weeks ago by myself in a studio on the Norwegian Epic. My coworker has never cruised before.

While I haven't cruised with them before, Carnival seems to have some good things going for it; I really like the fact that (assuming I'm reading the policy correctly), if there's a price drop on your cabin category anytime up to two days prior to sailing, you can get an OBC for that amount. The cabins are also supposed to be fairly spacious.

I know Carnival used to have a reputation as a bit of a party boat, but from the research I've done, that's calmed down over the years. We're not looking to get drunk and falling down or anything, but I do expect to be doing our fair share of drinking and having fun, preferably with a younger crowd. On my last cruise, I spent most of the day on the lido deck (for sea days anyway), and most the night in the nightclub, getting back to my cabin around 3 or 4 in the morning, so I don't know if either cruise line is more geared for that type of entertainment, or if they're about equal.

I know one of the first things that people bring up when comparing various cruise lines is the quality of food, so just know upfront that this is not an important factor for me. I don't eat much, and I'm happy with almost literally anything.

I'm currently leaning towards Carnival since A) it's about $230 cheaper than the NCL cruise (although the Breakaway is of course a brand new ship and the studios are pretty fun), and B) it'll just be fun to try out a new cruise line. But nothing is set in stone, and if anyone has any input, I'm more than glad to hear it.

edit: The availability of ice buckets is not an important factor :p

Im sure you know on Carnival you will pay 200% if you both get separate cabins, but if thats ok with you, I know Carnival has cheers where you can pay a fixed amount for up to 15 drinks a day for about $50 pp a day plus tips.

On NCL the sudios, you would not have to pay the 200% solo supplement, but then I guess the ship costs double.

Personally I like the 1As on carnival with port holes for solos. cheapest price and you can get two port holes and see out and what the weather is without paying a OV price, but you get OV sized cabins, over 200 s.f. for the ones with port holes Ive had. So way bigger than a regular inside (a regular inside being a cabin with two twins that push together), but cheaper. If having two twins is important, I would look at the PT category.

ice buckets are available. I guess you saw that thread where a roomie played a practical joke on someone and freeked her out.

Im sure you know on Carnival you will pay 200% if you both get separate cabins, but if thats ok with you, I know Carnival has cheers where you can pay a fixed amount for up to 15 drinks a day for about $50 pp a day plus tips.

On NCL the sudios, you would not have to pay the 200% solo supplement, but then I guess the ship costs double.

Personally I like the 1As on carnival with port holes for solos. cheapest price and you can get two port holes and see out and what the weather is without paying a OV price, but you get OV sized cabins, over 200 s.f. for the ones with port holes Ive had. So way bigger than a regular inside (a regular inside being a cabin with two twins that push together), but cheaper. If having two twins is important, I would look at the PT category.

ice buckets are available. I guess you saw that thread where a roomie played a practical joke on someone and freeked her out.

Yeah I'm aware of the 200% markup, that's fine. I've priced them out on the cruise line's website.

Thanks for the tip on the porthole windows. It looks like most of them have bunk beds, which I assume can't be put together to make a queen sized bed?

Just my opinion, but I would go with Carnival. I've only sailed Carnival, but I have many friends who have sailed the various cruise lines, and spoken with many travel agents all who say that Carnival is the way to go for the fun.

Yeah I'm aware of the 200% markup, that's fine. I've priced them out on the cruise line's website.

Thanks for the tip on the porthole windows. It looks like most of them have bunk beds, which I assume can't be put together to make a queen sized bed?

Actually most will not have bunk beds, Carnival puts that on all 1As. Most will have one twin and one convertible sofa which cant be put together.

PTs are about the same, except they have two twin beds that can be pushed together.

I think the biggest difference will be entertainment options. I've only done 2 Carnival cruises, both older and smaller ships, but I thought the entertainment was better and more varied on NCL. Breakaway will have alot more options than any of the NCL ships I've been on.

If you're not concerned about entertainment and lots of food choices I'd choose based on itinerary and price. Prices on Breakaway will come down eventually, at least I hope they will.

Carnival's your best bet. I have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Celebrity and I can assure you that Carnival is the best value for your money. I have not sailed on the Splendor, but I have sailed on the Fascination and the newer Magic. I have found the service to be great on all ships and the food no better or worse than other cruise lines. (I think the industry as a whole has cut costs, and the food quality has gone down across the board.)

There's plenty to do on Carnival, regardless of your age. Never found the partying to be excessive, even on Spring Break cruises.

Whatever you decide, Happy Sailing! :)

Archived