cancelling a cruise

There is a chance I may have to cancel my cruise. no I didn't buy insurance, I JUST booked it yesterday, and when I read carnivals policy, canceling for this reason wouldn't have done anything for me anyway with the insurance. I have a job interview (yay!) I May 3, and if chosen the interview will last through may 6 (drug tests, fingerprints, hr paperwork etc). Training might take place while im on the cruise. (my cruise is May 11-18). anyway, I went to carnival.com, and clicked on penalties to cancel my cruise. It gave me a penalty cost. Is that the money I would pay again to carnival? Is that the money I would loose? the money I would get back? It wouldn't make sense for me to pay that amount, I would rather just not show up and loose $1200 as oppose to $1900. The only other time I had to cancel a cruise was 4 years ago when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, but I booked months in advanced and didn't charge me anything. hope im making sense. I don't mind on loosing the money if it means me getting this amazing job. like I said...there is a chance, nothing is for sure yet

This might be exactly what you did, but here goes anyway. If you go on the website and look up your reservation go to the "Billings" tab. Under the itamized bill there should be a "What are the penelties for cancelling this cruise" line. Click on that and it will tell you the amount they will keep. The remainder will be refunded to you within two weeks usually. I have found they are actually pretty quick about it.

If you just booked the cruise for a May cruise its highly unlikely that you booked Early saver rate as they disappear a few months before the cruise.

Early saver rate comes with huge penalties.

being close to the date--you may lose your deposit.

the longer you wait to cancel the more chance you lose more.

Your timing puts you in a VERY unique and good situation. If you just booked the cruise yesterday, you can purchase independent trip insurance with the cancel for any reason option TODAY. You have to insure ALL prepaid nonrefundable prepaid expenses.

Read the terms before buying a policy. Most with this option will let you cancel until 2 days before your trip start date for ANY reason and you'll get 75% cash back. If you then have to cancel, carefully follow the steps outlined in the policy. (The exact terms can vary.). I recommend buying through tripinsurancestore dot com.

Good luck on the job!

There is a chance I may have to cancel my cruise. no I didn't buy insurance, I JUST booked it yesterday,

If you just booked yesterday and want to cancel, call Carnival within 24 hours of making the booking and they will waive any cancellation fees.

You have that window to change your mind and get your money back

There is a chance I may have to cancel my cruise. no I didn't buy insurance, I JUST booked it yesterday,

If you just booked yesterday and want to cancel, call Carnival within 24 hours of making the booking and they will waive any cancellation fees.

You have that window to change your mind and get your money back

Not if she booked a nonrefundable rate or ES.

First, for future reference, there is travel insurance that covers you for work reasons. You would just need a note from the employer.

Second, whether you get any money refunded depends on what fare you booked. Assuming you booked while under penalty. there are several fares that are possibilities. Early Saver goes away after the final payment date, so it could have been : Family & Friends, Past Guests, Super Saver, Instant Saver, Easy Saver (different than Early Saver). It's possible you may only have to surrender the deposit. Regardless, even if you booked the fully unrefundable fare, they would refund the taxes. That could be around $200.00. You need to contact whoever you booked it with and find out for sure.

Not if she booked a nonrefundable rate or ES.

Except if she just booked yesterday for a May 11 cruise, it couldn't be early saver.

I'm guessing the "24 hour window" might help her, otherwise, wouldn't she lose everything, being only 3 weeks away?

We had to cancel cruise on the 28th of march due to a death in the family

we are still waiting for refund carnival are just not responding to emails

has anyone got an email address for them that they respond to quickly.

This might be exactly what you did, but here goes anyway. If you go on the website and look up your reservation go to the "Billings" tab. Under the itamized bill there should be a "What are the penelties for cancelling this cruise" line. Click on that and it will tell you the amount they will keep. The remainder will be refunded to you within two weeks usually. I have found they are actually pretty quick about it.

I would get the insurance through insuremytripdotcom we got it for the same reason as you. My nephew may get picked up permanent before we cruise and that's more important so we got the 'for any reason'. It has to be purchased within 14 days of deposit or full payment in your case. We all had to get the same insurance but we have always gotten it anyway just never had the 'for any reason' until now. Another $60 or so dollars would be worth it than losing $2000. You can do it over the phone so they can compare and tell you what they have to offer. I purchased it as soon as I booked the cruise, I called them.

I'm with everyone else on this; you need to get the cancel for any reason insurance. The longer wait, your window to purchase additional benefits disappears.

I'd rather be out of $86 - $150 for trip insurance than $1200 for an entire cruise.

Archived