Alaska cruise and time in each port

shootingstar07

I was just wondering if anyone can comment on the time Princess allocates to each port. Is it a question of port charges? I looked at each port and other ships in port - and all have 4 ships with stays longer than the Star.

I am on the Star Princess out of Seattle. Ports of call are as follows:

Juneau - 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. (this is much longer than last time - maybe Princess heard me :D)

Skagway - 6 a.m to 8:15 p.m. (this about same time as last cruise - gotta have enough time to get everyone back from White Pass rail trip :)

Ketchikan - 7 - 12:30 - sure wish this port was longer - maybe to mid afternoon :(:( Princess, are you there? How about a little longer here??

Victoria - 7 p.m. to midnight - another short port. Oh well. Guess I have to return!!

Thanks for any info or insight.

Ketchikan doesn't have as much as Juneau and Skagway, and in my opnion, isn't as great as those other two. Victoria is required due to PSVA laws otherwise you would probably get a longer day in Ketchikan and skip Victoria (or vice versa). It wasn't until NCL built the norwegian sky with its 23knot service speed that 7 day RT's from Seattle were possible. Most princess ships are about 22.5 knot service speed which tweaks some of the port times. Look at RT voyages on NCL and you'll see an extra half hour to an hour in each port since their vessels are marginally faster (Pearl for instance is 25knotts service speed). Granted they probably don't go at full speed, but many of the older princess and HAL ships had max speeds around 20, but operated around 18 making only the 1 way 7 day journeys available. The Seattle RT itineraries are stretched pretty thin with ships needing to go full speed between Seattle and SE alaska. For comparison, look at RCCL's schedule on the Rhapsody of the Seas, it doesnt even stop in Ketchikan, option for a 9am arrival in Victoria and long days in Juneau and Skagway, but the ship is one of the slower ones in Alaskan waters. While I'd like to think a 10 day RT from Seattle would be a great option, with full days in ports, its not likely since Seattle RT passengers demographically spend less than many other itineraries and on Saturday and Sunday, all berths in Seattle are full with only 1 available berth on fridays.

Ketchikan - 7 - 12:30 - sure wish this port was longer - maybe to mid afternoon :(:( Princess, are you there? How about a little longer here??

Victoria - 7 p.m. to midnight - another short port. Oh well. Guess I have to return!!

That's how long it takes to get there. Leaving Ketchikan early afternoon and heading straight to Victoria to get there in the evening. Remember, it took a day and a half to get to Juneau from Seattle and it's going to take a comparable time to get back. To get there any faster means using more fuel. They have to find a balance between cost of fuel to go faster and time spent in ports.

Archived