Outside of New Orleans?

skittl1321

Due to a convention and a football game hotels in New Orleans for my cruise date are pretty impossible to come by. I booked through Stay123.com but haven't gotten the confirmation of my room yet, and there are no rooms available on the hotel site, so unless they have a block, I don't have much hope there is an actual room available.

So- if I'm driving in and want to stay 2-3 hours outside of New Orleans, can anyone recommend some cities to look for hotels in? I don't know anything about Louisiana, and don't really want to just pick something off a map for worry it is a not nice place...

Since we won't be in NO, the main objective will be cheap.

Thanks!

As you might remember, we are on the same cruise. We are going to use either Lafayette,(130 miles and 2 hours) or Baton Rouge (80 miles and 1.5 hours). We lean towards Lafayette since I spent a lot of time there and it is right in the middle of Cajun Country (we love Cajun food) and it is on our way. Depending on which way you are coming from, Bay St Louis, Gulfport or Biloxi are good from the East.

The Gulfport/Biloxi area is only about 50 miles away - lots of rooms, much nicer rooms than NOLA at a much lower price. We pop over to NOLA just for lunch every now and then. I get in my car at 930a to leave for a cruise, and am eating lunch on the Lido by 1130 or noon...

Thanks so much! I'm holding out hope on confirmation of the room in Gretna (because parking is included, and that would be nice!) but it's good to know where to look next.

I'm a 'super planner' so I hate the unknown!

I'm not sure where your coming from but Baton Rouge is only 1 1/2 hrs. What's your sailing date? We've booked the same hotel through 123

12/8. Quality Inn shows there are no rooms on that date, but it is possible they already booked them as a wholesaler, so I'll still get the room. Just waiting on a confirmation.

We are coming in from Iowa- not entirely sure what highway we'll be on, but from the North. It's about a 14 hour drive, so just a "day trip".

Covington may be a great choice for you. From where in Iowa? Depending on from where, you may be coming down I55, which would mean you would go I55 to I12 and this hotel is about 4 to 5 minutes from the I-12.

At hotels.com right now, there is Covington Courtyard by Marriott

101 Northpark Blvd Covington, LA for $79 a night. This is a great area, 45 minutes from the cruise pier (on the Northshore of New Orleans area). My in-laws just stayed there for a New Orleans destination wedding and said it was great. There are also a lot of great restaurants in Covington with the same kind of food your would find in the New Orleans itself. We live in the New Orleans area so I know the areas.

try hotels in Metairie I was told it is like 15 minutes away from new Orleans, I our hotel rate was very reasonable

Metaire is where the room I'm hoping to get is. The area is booked solid due to football games.

I'll look into Covington.

• 3 weeks later...

we just drove from Cedar Rapids in April and it was a straight shot down 218 & I-55, we went through Hannibal, St. Louis, and Memphis. It really was not a bad drive and I HATE long car rides. Not sure where you are from though.

we just drove from Cedar Rapids in April and it was a straight shot down 218 & I-55, we went through Hannibal, St. Louis, and Memphis. It really was not a bad drive and I HATE long car rides. Not sure where you are from though.

We are just a few minutes south of you :)

We do just fine with long drives- as we generally drive 17 hours straight through to our parent's house. We actually booked New Orlean's because it was a 'driveable' port.

I think we are going to stick with the hotel in Gretna, I did get the confirmation. It receives mixed reviews, but most say the cars are safe- and that's what I want. Memphis is still 5 hours away, so that is too far to want to stay the day before the cruise- I wouldn't want to be more than an hour or two out to finish up the drive if we don't stay in NO.

Archived