Where to snorkel?

skittl1321

Cozumel has drift diving which is a bit different - reading about it may influence your decision on where to dive. Some like it, some don't. The currents can be pretty strong. If you are going to snorkel, I would definitely pick Roatan - the water is crystal clear, the reef is in good shape, and there is a tremendous variety of fish... We snorkeled at West Bay and it is doable on your own, however I would consider a guide as you swim through the coral and it is nice to know how to best get through it! We did Victor Bodden (highly recommended) and he has a guided snorkel add on.

Cozumel has drift diving which is a bit different - reading about it may influence your decision on where to dive. Some like it, some don't. The currents can be pretty strong.

The operation we are going with (Dive with Alison) knows we are beginners and these will be our first dives after our certification check out, she says she has dive sites that will be suitable, so I guess we'll see. Unfortunately, we can only quarry dive up here, and by the time the vacation gets close the best we can do is get into the pool to refresh skills, but we'll probably do that.

I'm excited about snorkeling Roatan- it sounds fabulous.

Our first trip to Roatan was such a disappointment because a big storm had just gone through. The waves were gigantic and I had my mind set on snorkeling. I had read so much about the amazing snorkeling and it was out of the question. We still spent a lovely day at West Bay Beach even with the heavy clouds and the big waves.

Luckily, this year we had the beautiful calm sea that is typical and loved the snorkeling. Next trip there won't be on a cruise ship. We want to spend more time.

Just pointing out that you can't over plan things as mother nature can change it all.:cool:

Archived