Mears? Getting from Orlando to Port Canaveral?

tonyrobin

What is the best to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral? I saw someone mention Mears but didn't get any information about it. Could someone help me? Thanks so much!

I've never used it, but here is the info from Carnival site

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Transfers__Port_Canaveral.aspx

Do You Offer Transportation to Port Canaveral?

spacer.gifAdvance Reservations for Transfers Orlando International Airport - Port Canaveral

This service will be available on the day of embarkation and immediately following debarkation only.

One Way: $25 Round trip: $50

Transfer/Meet and Greet Service begins at 10:30am "upon arrival" at Baggage Claim

motor coach service begins at 11:00am

Fantasy Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 4:00PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 2:00PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation with Post Package Car: 12:40PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:00PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation with Pre Package Car: 1:15PM

Pride Glory Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 1:30PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:00PM

Mears Transportation Group Orlando Airport, (407) 423-5566, (800) 759-5219

Purchase of Transfers Day of Embarkation/Debarkation

Day of Embarkation: Transfers can be purchased at the Orlando airport between 10:30AM and 2:00PM on the ground level with a Mears staff member.

Day of Debarkation: The Information Desk on board the ship sells one-way return transfers to the airport for guests who did not purchase the transfers in advance.

Guest cruzr44
What is the best to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral? I saw someone mention Mears but didn't get any information about it. Could someone help me? Thanks so much!

Have you considered a one way rental car? The cars are right on site at the airport and very easy to pick up. Return the car which is fairly close to the port and have the rental agency shuttle you to the ship. EASY!!!

Not all car rentals are on site so be sure you check. Avis is one that is on site. We just had to walk across the street from baggage claim to get our car. The agency in PC will shuttle you to the port. This would probably be cheaper than Mears if there are more than 2 of you.

I agree with the rental option. We did it for our Disney cruise in 02. Avis is on site as noted above and they have a free shuttle to the ship from the drop off point, about a mile from the terminal. We rented a car when we got back and spent the day at Disney before our late light. It really opens up options for shopping and site seeing.

Smooth sailing

DH and I have used Mears from Orlando previously and

will be doing so again on our 9/10/05 Glory sailing. The Mears People are dressed in some sort of uniform, if I recall. You meet them at the baggage area. They hold signs with "Carnival" on them. They are very helpful and friendly. They start transporting at 11 am. It is almost an hours drive. Nice air conditioned buses, and a lot of them. $25 per person each way.

Happy Sailing...

When are you cruising? You can purchase the Mears bus tickets by calling Carnival if you are not past your final payment. They will send them with your documents.

On our last cruise on the Glory we used floridatowncarservice.com . They were waiting in the baggage area when we arrived and helped with our luggage. And even though we did not get off the ship until 11:30a.m. due to homeland security and we asked them to be there at 10:a.m., our driver was patiently waiting for us when we left. We liked this service because we did not have to wait for the bus to fill up. It was $150 rt which was only $50 total more and worth it to us. No wait....no crowded bus...and great service.

OP,

We decided to use Mears for ground transportation (outside of a cruise, in Vegas) two times in the past, and both times I had no problem getting to the hotel, but when it came to the pick up they never showed. It might be different for a cruise, but we were instructed to call them 24 hours in advance to set up the pick-up. We did, and again they never showed.

Having prepaid for RT transport from and to the airport twice, and having been screwed both times, I might suggest other means of transportation. I have talked to other people, and it has also happened to them.

Just my two cents:)

Tim

:p I would suggest a one wy rental car and take the beeline(528). Wait they are changing the name.. It is Beachline, still 528 though. It is a toll road so bring some quarters. I'd say 1 roll of quarters should be fine there and back to Orlando.Have a fun trip.

G;)

Guest cruzr44
Do you drop off the family at the port first or

at the Budget/Avis location??

I think it is easier to drop everyone and everything at the port first, then it will be just you and no luggage to haul back.

We are past our final payment, about 70 days. There are 4 of us so I think we will go with the rental car. I checked and we can get it for about 45.00 each way. That is not too bad. Thanks so much for everyones help!

Does anyone know if the Thrifty Car Rental in Port Canaveral (about 3 miles away from the pier) will have a shuttle for us, or will we have to have them call a taxi for the short ride? I know they have one in Miami, but this could be a whole different ballgame :) Thanks!

Do you drop off the family at the port first or

at the Budget/Avis location??

We dropped the car off first, then all of us took the shuttle. Of course, it was 9am when we dropped off the car, so am sure that made a difference when we got to the port ... :rolleyes:

We rented a car from Budget.

Candy

After you got off the ship, how did you get back to the car rental agency to pick up a car to go the airport? We are thinking of doing a one way from the airport to the Raddisson in Port Canaveral for one night prior to our cruise, returning the car the morning of the cruise and taking the rental agency's shuttle to the port and then we just need a car to get us back to the airport after the cruise. Its seems that it is cheaper to rent the car for a few hours than to use a car service.

Renting a car in Orlando is very easy...thanks to all of the great tips from this board. We flew into MCO and rented a car through Budget. Sign up for the fast pass and you can pick up your car right at the kiosk at the airport - no waiting in long, long lines. The kiosk is on the ground level across the street from the airport - just a few steps away from the ground transportation. We didn't stay in Cocoa Beach but we should have since it's such a nice area and easy drive from Orlando. We drove to Cocoa Beach the morning of our cruise, drove around and then dropped our car at the Budget location right on A1A. We only waited a few minutes and the shuttle driver took us right to the pier. It was so easy and he asked if we needed a pick up after our cruise. The cost of the rental was $32 plus what gas we used. Reserved a full size car but got upgraded to a SUV. We used the Mears shuttle for the trip back to the airport which was fine. Got our transfers right through Carnival. We had a late flight and looking back, we probably should have rented a car so that we could have stayed in Cocoa Beach for a few hours and then drove to the airport. We are not used to a lot of city driving but this was very easy, safe and would recommend to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on that sailing also.... I am leaning toward a rental. I have a hold on "MCO to port canaveral, and Port canaveral to MCO. The total is less than 50 for a compact car. I even thought of renting a bigger car if someone else were to consider sharing the ride.

Kevin

Archived