Danube Cruise - May or September

GiGiGi

We are hoping to do a Prague to Budapest cruise in 2014. We are considering May or September. We would have preferred June, but our itinerary des not have an available date. We do want the extra hours of daylight and perhaps lovely weather. We do have some concerns about lo water levels September.

Clearly, no one has a crystal ball, but we are interested in opinions and experiences that might help us decide.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

We did the Romatic Danube last year from May 19- May 26th (I think). Our weather was WONDERFUL....a little rain one day....that's it. Sometimes we needed a sweater or jacket for part of the day.....sometimes we were fine in short sleeves. We're going on the Rhine this year leaving on May 19th again.

We did Uniworld's Prague to Budapest this past September (end of Aug/first week September) and we had a lot of rain and overcast days. We did have a couple of really pretty days where there wasn't a cloud in the sky. We had no water level issues. The cruise was wonderful. Rain seems to follow us wherever we go!

We are hoping to do a Prague to Budapest cruise in 2014. We are considering May or September. We would have preferred June, but our itinerary des not have an available date. We do want the extra hours of daylight and perhaps lovely weather. We do have some concerns about lo water levels September.

Clearly, no one has a crystal ball, but we are interested in opinions and experiences that might help us decide.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

GiGiGi,

Just back from early April voyage.

Weather was cool, but comfortable. Should be even better in May.

See link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1828817

Coasters

We did the same trip in the second-third week of April in 2012. We had a LOT of rain and fog on our sailing, almost every day, and it was COLD. Snowed in Vienna and Salzburg too (on land trips ahead of the sailing).

That said, I think May would be lovely with less chance of rain and better chance of favorable water levels than in September, although I'm not sure how much of a risk that would be (I thought the river level problem was more likely in Oct?)

Since the summer solstice is June 21, the closer you can get to that date (before or after) will give you longer days. For that reason as well I would vote for May...

Archived