Travel Agent Switching

gumballz

I've booked a cruise with a TA for our first cruise (Majesty of the Seas, April 3, 2006). We only put down our deposit and will be paying off the cruise in about 3 weeks. The TA was nice when we went in to book the cruise, but now we can't get ahold of her for anything. She's always just too busy to talk to us. Even if we go in to get help, she's too busy for us. It's not like we're there to ask rediculous questions or anything.......the main thing we've been trying to get was a receipt for our deposit. Her printer was down the day we put down the deposit and she promised us that she would email us a receipt AND put a copy of our receipt in her 'papers for customers' cabinet. She hasn't done either. I finally had to ask someone else that was working in there to help me, and he printed out a receipt no questions asked.

:confused: My question is......is it too late to switch to another TA? I want to know for a fact that when my papers come in I'll be getting a call to come pick them up, you know? If it's not too late, how do I do that without incurring any additional fees from the TA that I booked with? Thanks!

I think you may want to discuss this with her first, let her know how close you are to switching TAs. Give her a chance to straighten up before taking the business away from her.

Is there any particular reason you want to pay off your cruise so soon? I only ask because you are not required to do so until 60 to 90 days before the cruise. I wait until the last minute to pay so #1 they don't have my money for months for no reason #2 if I should have to cancel for any reason, I will only have to hassle getting my deposit back.

You will have to check your contract to see if there is a cancellation penalty from the TA. Some have them, some don't.

All the cruises I have taken, the deposit and final payment are made to the cruiseline, not the travel agency. It is my understanding the TA gets their commission from the cruiseline, not the cruise customer. So, beware if the TA wants the money this soon, or requires a check made out to them. A credit card is a safer way to pay for such an item.

We were only going to pay it off so soon so it would be done and out of the way......and we could start concentrating on other things (excursions, spending cash, items needed for the trip, passports, cash to leave with our daughters, etc). Our TA told us that we could make payments or pay in full, however we wanted to do it. She said to just bring her the money in any form and she would take care of it for us (as far as crediting our account). When I asked her if I could just pay RCCL myself, she said no.......that we needed to pay her and she would take care of it from there.

As far as discussing this with her......that will be difficult because we can't even get her to talk to us for a receipt. I can give it a try though and see how it goes.

Ask to see her supervisor. The desk person should know who that is. Talk to them about switching agents in the agency first and what the policy is re cancelling them.

Once you know how much, go find another agent first, tell them (the new agent) you want to switch your cruise to them (have your booking number with you). Then have them contact the cruiseline and have your booking switched to them. don't tell the bad one first because they will cancel your number and you will have to rebook at a higher fee and may not get the cabin you have.

I think it depends on your level of comfort with confrontation.

From your original post, it does sound like the agent couldn't care less now that you have booked. You could ask for the agency to assign another agent to handle your booking. Let them know of your concerns.

Happy ks is right about checking your contract. There may be a penalty imposed by the agency if you cancel or transfer the booking to another agency. By the same token, the contract should spell out their responsibilities also.

There have been cases of TA's holding money, using money, etc. and bookings being totally mishandled. It is not common but it does happen. We always pay with a credit card and the charge always shows the cruise line, not the agency.

Personally, if there is no penalty for cancellation, I would book through another agency and just cancel the problem booking.

Regarding paying final payment, why not just stick the money in a savings account until you need it?

Charlie

I think I will put it in savings until I need it. It'll gain interest and I'll have only the deposit to try to get back should something unforseen happen. As for speaking with the supervisor/manager.......our TA IS the manager of this travel agency. Maybe THAT'S the problem. I don't know......I didn't request her, she just offered to help us. I'm horrible at confrontation, unfortunately. :(

I think I will put it in savings until I need it. It'll gain interest and I'll have only the deposit to try to get back should something unforseen happen. As for speaking with the supervisor/manager.......our TA IS the manager of this travel agency. Maybe THAT'S the problem. I don't know......I didn't request her, she just offered to help us. I'm horrible at confrontation, unfortunately. :(
That kind of puts you into the position of riding it out and worrying for the next 9 months or transferring the booking.

If the deposit was credited to the cruise line (which it should have been), you should have little problem with going to another agency and asking to transfer. As CaptData said, go to another agency (maybe one recommended by a friend) and get it transferred.

Good Luck,

Charlie

When we booked the cruise we asked what their policy was on cancelling and she showed us a paper on her desk that said it would be $100 per person for cancellations. She told us (nothing in writing) that that was just a guideline and it's their descretion whether or not they charge that fee........based on the situation and how much they've done for us.

When we booked the cruise we asked what their policy was on cancelling and she showed us a paper on her desk that said it would be $100 per person for cancellations. She told us (nothing in writing) that that was just a guideline and it's their descretion whether or not they charge that fee........based on the situation and how much they've done for us.

I'm not an attorney. But, if the fee is not disclosed in papers that you signed I don't see how they can enforce a cancellation penalty.

How much time did the TA spend helping with the booking? Did you just walk in and say "we want this ship, on this week, in this category cabin."? Or did she work to show you comparative cruises and try to match you with a ship, itinerary and date?

Also, how much more will you need from the TA? If your only concern is receiving your documents on time you could just forget the whole problem and start making phone calls at 30 days out to see if the docs are in.

Before making any more payments I would certainly make sure that the original was credited properly. Did you get a booking number from RCCL?

Good Luck,

Charlie

I completely understand how you would not like to confront her, not may people are comfortable doing that. If I were you , I'd also not like to be charged $100 per person cancellation fee (which seems rather high). Bottom line, if she can hold you to the cancel fee, you will probably be stuck with this TA.

You can do a few things to help ease your mind in the mean time. First, go to royalcaribbean.com and check on your reservation, you should already have a confirmation number. Then, ask questions here and on the Royal Caribbean board, many people here love to help out first timers. You have a few decisions regarding flight (if any needed) and travel insurance (if you choose to purchase it). Always compare cost between what the cruiseline/TA is offering vs. what you can book yourself online. Ask away any questions you may have, but remember, not every thing on this board will be accurate info.

You are wise to hold onto your $$ until the time comes you are required to pay. We have always paid by credit card, both the deposit and cruise fare, it shows up on our statement as a charge to the cruise line, not the TA.

I wish there had been a board like this one online before our first cruise, there is a wealth of information, you will be wiser than most first timers by the time you leave! Your second cruise, you will be able to make better choices with your TA. Finally, we have had the worst customer service from the owner of a local travel agency, if one of her employess hadn't intervened, our vacation would have been ruined.

Charlie.......we never signed anything and we went in knowing exactly what we wanted. All she did was book it and take our credit card number. We do have a booking number and I checked with RCCL and they have us listed and I can access our account on their site....and our credit card statement says Royal Caribbean Cruises. So I'm guessing everything is good. I will probably just stick with her and do what is suggested........call her about a month before we're set to cruise and inquire about our paperwork. Next time though......I'm definitely going to a different TA. (Oh, and we did purchase insurance as well.......we had a cruise booked once before and had to cancel because of our daughter having a severe asthma attack.......I learned my lesson! lol)

Kathy & CaptData......thanks for your advice as well! I appreciate the help!

It sounds like the bases are covered as far as proper credit. I can't think of any other services that you will need from the TA except for them to process your final payment and send you your documents.

Now, if I were concerned about receiving the documents in a timely fashion, I might go in person to make my final payment about 1 week before it is actually due so I can check it online. While there, I would pick up a brochure and ask a quick question about a high end cruise.

"Hey, my wife & I have been considering taking a cruise next year to [insert name of exotic destination here]. I'm going to talk to her about this one. Call me when the documents come in, would you? I'll come pick them up and we can see what's available." :D

When the docs arrive, tell her that you need a new roof on the house and the cruise is on a back burner for now.

Like Kathy, we took our first cruise before we found these boards. It was probably blind luck that the whole thing went off without a hitch. (Even ended up with an upgrade from inside to OV :)

Start checking out the ports of call, picking some new cruise clothes and planning for a wonderful time.

Charlie

lol......great idea! Based on how she's been acting up to now, that might do the trick (the high end cruise trick). I'll definitely do that! As for my husband going in and getting the final papers.......I had to drag him in just to book it. His attitude is 'whatever you want honey'. While that can be nice.......it can also be a little irritating. ;)

I'm just curious........what paperwork should I be receiving from her? I'm talking about the final papers. Is it just a few papers or a booklet or a folder full, etc?

Basically you will be getting a booklet with everything you need for your cruise. Your cruise ticket, luggage tags, and (if you arranged for flights and transfers through RCCL) flight info and transfer vouchers. There will be some pre-registration but, you can (and should) fill those out online early. If you do, the forms in your booklet should have the info complete for you to double check.

I have to admit that DW takes care of our paperwork and I schlep the luggage :rolleyes: I've got it down to where I can manage 2 large suitcases, 2 small and 2 carry-ons with no problem. She has the tickets/passports/what-ever-else-they-ask-for ready.

You won't need hubby to go in with you to pick up the documents. There is nothing to sign for. Ours comes in the mail. But, we use an internet TA that is no where near us.

Additional thought: Since you are travelling next year, do you have passports? While it is not 100% definate, you will probably need them after December 31 this year.

Charlie

I will be applying for my passport next week......and my DH will be applying in 3 weeks. Our TA told us we won't need them......but everything I've read says we will. I figured even IF she's right about not needing them, it'll be quicker for us to have them so that was figured in when we made a list of what we would need.

Can I fill out the online paperwork before we have our passports, or do I need to wait until I have them? Do we turn in that paperwork and show our passports when we get on the ship? Is that how that works?

Thanks for your help! This board definitely has the most patient and gracious people on it. I learn a lot here! :)

Dec 31 is a proposed deadline for needing passports. However, I haven't heard of any change and that day is barely 6 months away.

As stated, go ahead and fill out your online paper work and go back and update when the passports come in.

Charlie

Sorry to hear gumballz!

My first cruise TA was great. (Sent me champagne and roses to my inside cabin!) But this is not to rub it in. I just booked my second cruise and I had to change TA only because I could earn extra miles on my Continental Onepass (frequent flyer program). I called the original TA and told her and she called RCCL to transfer. It can be done if necessary.

I sure hope things will go well - as a matter of fact I am assured of it. As long as you can contact RCCL directly and you may want to report the TA as was mentioned before to various agencies.

Please be assured, the cruise itself will be well worth it! ;)

Archived