Pre cruise stay at the Wyndham La Belle Maison

spotte

My husband and I and another couple are coming to NOLA for 4 days pre cruise in late Jan, 2014. We are thinking about staying at the Wyndham La Belle in a 2 bedroom suite. We are thinking we will spend most of our time in the French Quarter, touring and the Riverwalk/Harrah's area. We will not have a car and will probably do a city tour and then get around by streetcar, bus and walking. I have some limited mobility issues in that I cannot walk up inclines very well, even the smallest of them. We will plan to take a taxi from the airport to the La Belle and from there to the port. I would welcome any input as to if this is a good place for us to stay based on our activites and my mobility and if anyone has any suggestions for us.

I try to answer your question based on what I think you are asking. New Orleans is flat. There are no hills or inclines other than if you wanted to climb the levee by the river (which is something people like to do). The Riverwalk is up higher but there is a covered, outdoor escalator to get you up to that level.

There are steps to get into the street cars but you didn't mention issues with steps. You can also take a cab into the heart of the French Quarter from your hotel. When we visit that area, my sister, who has back issues, takes a cab even for a few blocks if she feels like she can't walk anymore. That isn't an issue at all. You can get a cab for short distances here.

That hotel is in an good location for what you are wanting to do.

Thank you for your reply. That was helpful info. No, I usually do not have too much trouble with a couple of steps, so the streetcar should not be a problem. Do you know anything about the Wyndham La Belle Maison? The reviews on it are very good, but just wanting confirmation from someone who has stayed there that it is indeed nice and a good location. Thank you.

I can't comment on the hotel itself because I have never stayed there but I would read reviews on Tripadvisor. The location is very good. You are not in the French Quarter but are two blocks away from Canal St, which is the border of the French Quarter. Also, Canal St. is where you can catch the street car that runs up and down Canal St and can connect from that one to the one that will go down St. Charles Ave., in case you wanted to see or tour the Garden District (beautiful!). Then you are close to a street car stop that runs along the river (there is a stop close to the Hilton hotel), which would bring you into the French Quarter (but it runs along the river only, so you will still have some walking to do to get to the places you want to see "in" the French Quarter). The location is in "the middle" of the things to do in the French Quarter and the things to do in the Central Business District (Riverwalk, Harrah's, DDay Museum). Of course with any city, you need to be aware of your surroundings but this hotel is in a good area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived