Observations about the Current State of Celebrity from Sihouette March 2013

Cruise Arizona

I like so many kinds of music and food and entertainment. I'm probably just as happy listening to Liza Minilli and Fran Sinatra as I am to ACDC.

I like going to the Opera and an NFL game.

I love a great glass of wine, but drank ice cold beers in St. Maarten and Cozumel.

What I really appreciated on this cruise was the attention to detail, timely and accurate service, very personalized service by the sommeliers. I thought that the activities staff did a great job of having lots of things to do at different times. There was so much that even in two weeks we didn't do it all.

Thanks for the helpful overview of the entertainment options. Glad to hear they are checking IDs at the adult show as one of the late night shows we attended was ruined by a thoughtless mother with 2 young kids (at 11:30 pm) who refused to leave the show.

What activities were held in Michaels, if any? I've read of pub trivia and some solo musical acts on other cruises.

Suzanne, great review of a wonderful B2B. We enjoyed meeting you and your beautiful family. You are so upbeat, friendly and positive. That's, one of the reasons that we prefer the Elite evening socials. It's great to get together with roll call friends.

PS - We were delighted to be your haven from the Happy Hour stalker.:rolleyes:

Appreciate your review :). I was on Silhouette April 7th and had a great time. Very impressed with Celebrity and definitely will sail them again

Thank you and glad you had a great time as well.

BTW did you know that Mark Harmon is the uncle of the 80's Hair Band Nelson!!!

nelson.jpg

HI Suzanne,

Long time know see. We loved the Silhouette too and will be doing the same cruises in January. Thanks for the review; it's good to have the facts. We just returned from a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti on Princess and had a wonderful time. Maybe we'll sail together again sometime. I have fond memories of China.

Cynthia

HI Suzanne,

Long time know see. We loved the Silhouette too and will be doing the same cruises in January. Thanks for the review; it's good to have the facts. We just returned from a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti on Princess and had a wonderful time. Maybe we'll sail together again sometime. I have fond memories of China.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia, wish we were with you. We had originally booked th 18 day Solstice from Sydney to Hawaii, because we so much want to visit Tahiti, but we changed to these BTB because we wanted to do something with the kids and the dates weren't right for the Sydney Hawaii cruise. We might do a last minute Princess to Alaska in a few weeks. We just have to see if a few things fall into place.

The Lawn Club Grill

The Lawn Club Grill created another opportunity for Celebrity to defeat my skepticism. When we first sailed the Solstice, we fell in love with the Hot Glass Show which is on the first 3 of the Solstice class ships. With a limited number of gaffers that they could contract to work the show, Celebrity had to come up with some thing else to put in that area.

Honestly, my first thoughts about the Lawn Club Grill were “They are replacing the free, wonderful hot glass show, with a place where you have to pay $40 to cook your own food.” I guess I was being a little overly cynical about the loss of the glass show, so we decided to give Celebrity the opportunity to prove me wrong, and dine at the Lawn Club Grill.

I have to say that the whole experience was one of the high lights of the cruise. We made reservations to dine at 7:30 on the night of the late departure from San Juan. This gave us some very beautiful views of the bay area lit up at night as well as putting us in proximity for the start of the deck party called “Celebrity Roxx”.

Perhaps we had the best idea when we decided to let the teens do the cooking lesson and we could just sit back and enjoy watching them learn and interact with the Celebrity staff. Celebrity has designed the lawn club grill to be an interactive experience with lots of fun and joking between the staff and their apprentice cooks. After we ordered our food, which with four of us meant basically splitting one of everything, the kids washed up with soap and water and donned aprons to begin making their flat bread. They had a pizza dough tossing lesson and then they got to select their own toppings for the flat bread/pizza.

After we enjoyed the snack flat bread it was the kids turn to cook the fish, kabobs and meats. The grill master taught them to be able to tell the wellness of the the steak by comparing it to the the firmness of the fleshy part of the hand when thumb it touched to different fingers. However that technique works, it works well. Our steaks were cut with a fork, melt in our mouths delicious. We loved the chimchurri sauce on on steaks, and the different spice rubs on the variety of meats that included chicken kabobs, veal chop, and two kinds of fish. The side dishes which included creamy corn and a lobster macaroni and cheese were delicious. It was so much food, but all so good. Truly a wonderful family experience.

Perhaps we had the best idea when we decided to let the teens do the cooking lesson and we could just sit back and enjoy watching them learn and interact with the Celebrity staff. Celebrity has designed the lawn club grill to be an interactive experience with lots of fun and joking between the staff and their apprentice cooks. After we ordered our food, which with four of us meant basically splitting one of everything, the kids washed up with soap and water and donned aprons to begin making their flat bread. They had a pizza dough tossing lesson and then they got to select their own toppings for the flat bread/pizza.

Thank you for this - I must admit I was wondering whether the Lawn Club Grill would be worth it, we are in a CS so get two meals (for two..) and I am torn between Qsine and Lawn Club Grill for the second (thinking Murano for one) - we are on Silhouette this summer...getting my 20 and 16 year old boys to do the cooking does sound like a good idea!

Archived