Pros / Cons re online bookings, please.

Ask4Jay

Dolphins mentioned in another thread that s/he mostly books online and received a nice ship board credit.

Would that be something we should consider as well? Assuming we know at that time when and where we want to sail next, and in what kind of cabin?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Booking online doesn't = shipboard credit. That comes as a special offer from your TA or as a booking incentive from the CL which everyone gets if they meet the booking requirements. To me getting the cheapest deal for the cruise and category I want is the most important. I shop around with online cruise brokers as well as pricing for booking direct w/the CL. Whoever is cheapest gets my booking. What difference does a shipboard credit make if you are paying a premium price for the cruise. Happy Sailing!

Ask4jay, do you possiblye mean onboard booking??? With that you would get a shipboard credit.

An online booking doesn't equal shipboard credit. We booked a cruise onboard in April, but the "deal" we got wasn't a deal. It was only $60 less (for 2 people) than the NCL website price. And they totally messed up the booking. We did not receive a group rate as we were told and we didn't get the onboard credit (we found that out when we received e-mail confirmation of booking). We cancelled and will never do that again. But we will sail NCL again as we really enjoy the line.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

Yes, cruiserb, I did mean onboard booking, not online. Duh, can't believe I messed that one up.

Being a recent convert to cruising, I started tracking the lowest of a

balcony cabin on the Dawn from NYC to the Bahamas.

On some dates the price did not move at all as we got nearer to departure.

On other dates the prices dropped substantially between February and now, the best one from $1,429 in February to $999 in May.

Therefore, if there is any shipboard credit on a future cruise for an onbaord booking, it needs to be a hefty credit for me to be interested.

I agree with 1cruiselvr's strategy.

That's why I booked my stern cabin (Jewel, 9/4, Dover-NYC) through a German online T.A., after NCL told me those cabins were sold out. This T.A. was able to get me exactly the cabin I wanted - at a price, of course.

Oh well, it's only money.

We have booked our last 2 cruises with the same online site and have been quite happy with it. We actually got a $50 gas card with our last cruise. Just received the gas card this week. With the price of gas right now, $50 is a big bonus.

One site right now is offering a free excursion when you book with them. Check some of them out.

Archived