Contact Lenses

Cloudyrain

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if the salty sea air is likely to irritate my contact lenses? I wear dailys and Mr C wears weeklys, but we are both blind without them! I also have photophobic eyes so wondering if I should invest in some prescription sunglasses? We often struggle with sand in our eyes on holiday, and think being on a ship will be worse for salt and grit? We have glasses as back ups, but they won't be any use (especially to me) if it's sunny; and if the suns reflecting off the sea I can imagine it's especially bright!

Thank you!

(though I thunk I have just pretty much talked myself into getting some!)

Wear your contact lenses and regular sunglasses and I don't think you'll have problems. I wear the weekly contacts too and when I'm cruising I notice my eyes get irritated more than at home, but nothing major. Bring extras and eye drops. You'll be fine.

if your eyes don't change all the time and you think you might get more use from them, I'd buy the sunglasses.

I purchased a pair from an online retailer, Zenni Optical. They took a couple of weeks to get to me, but were under $15 including shipping. They aren't perfect, but the price was great and I've found I used them quite a bit.

I've worn contacts for over 30 years (way past legally blind without them, can't get 20/20 with them) and I've been on 9 cruises. The only issue I've had is a little extra dryness - but only when I forget to drink enough water. I always have gel drops (Genteal - I don't know if they have them in the UK or not). I always travel with extra pair of lenses. My every day sunglasses are very dark, polarized and in a tight wrap around style, which protect against most blowing sand.

Thanks guys!

I think I will only get some if they are doing a 2-4-1 deal on in the opticians (I need a new pair of normal glasses). But, if there aren't any deals on I will just stick to lenses and take some spare pairs and some drops.

Thank you!x

I wear extended wear contacts and have not had a problem with them on any cruises. I don't wear them snorkeling but other than that I wear them all the time. Regular sun glasses work fine with them for me.

I wear mine all the time, including snorkeling and swimming (and yes I open my eyes under water). Never had a problem. The first time I forgot I had them in, but now don't worry. I always bring extra, but never had to replace them.

If I had to point to an issue, it would be more the wind on deck while at sea more than the water. Remember saline solution is just salt water....

They also make sunglasses called "fit overs" they are none prescription sunglasses that go right over your whole frame -- many opticals have them as well as QVC which you can probably even order from on line. Some are actually quite nice looking and not as bulky as what you used to be able to get years ago. I also wear contacts and the biggest problem for me is dryness too. Refresh for contacts is what I use to relieve that. It works for me ! Good luck !

It is brighter on the cruise -- all that white metal & reflective surfaces. I get by with regular OTC sunglasses over my contacts. I do often find that the wind is an issue.

I bought perscription sunglasses years ago at a BOGO sale. They have served me well when I think I want to do things that are not conducive to wearing contacts like really swim.

If you don't get prescription sunglasses, you might check sporting places for fishermen's sunglasses (a couple of brands). They have more of a side protection but it's tinted, not solid. My husband (not a fisherman) prefers them because they keep out light from the side, too.

I wear daily disposables and never had any issues because of the sea air. But if you are jumping into the sea or the pool you might want to have some replacements or take the glasses and get some prescription sunglasses. But as far as salty air, not an issue for me.

I did not have any issues other when it was windy. My eyes dry out. I just take gel drops and my glasses for evening cabin time and all was good. I would hate prescription sunglasses being blind as a bat. DH does not mind, but he can see ok without them if he goes into a restaurant or something.

Archived