Internet?

Has anyone been able to get a stable enough internet connection to manage a skype call? I'm going to be on Spirit for 2 1/2 weeks starting next week, and my almost 2 year old son will be staying with family. I think skype calls would help alleviate some of the anxiety of the separation. I normally wouldn't be too concerned on land, but the last time I tried using internet on a ship the connection was very slow. Has this improved? We could also try to arrange times while on shore, but with the time difference I'm not sure how feasible that will be.

Thanks!

I personally would budget to use either ship to shore and/or email updates at sea and Skype via wifi or roaming data while in port. I even managed to use free wifi in Barbados for Skype successfully last month.

Sent from Tapatalk on Samsung Galaxy S4

I didn't realize they blocked skype completely. Since there's such a big time difference between Texas and Europe, skype on the ship would give us more flexibility to call when we know he'll be awake at times convenient for us. Phone will be good, but he just lights up when he recognizes people on skype. I guess we'll have to hope we can work around tour schedules to go to internet cafes or hope we find unsecured networks while on shore.

Just a thought, but could you pre-record some video messages for him and leave them for family? He'd still get to see & hear you & it might help,

On this note, you could record a short video of yourself on the trip and email it. To save on bandwidth, record in the smallest setting you can, but you could still send personal messages.

Archived