Air Roundtrip London from Wash./Baltimore Area

roothy123

I'm just curious if anyone call tell me what airlines Oceania tends to use for getting people from the Washington, DC or Baltimore area to London, or from any large city to London. When you have Oceania's air, without a deviation, do you ever end up on a nonstop? From my location, there are lots of nonstops, almost all from Washington Dulles, but Icelandair also flies from Dulles (through Reykjavik), so I'm wondering what my chances are for getting a nonstop instead of Icelandair flights! Last summer to the Baltic, we were on Icelandair, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't very good either!

Also, we usually make our own arrangements to get from the airport to the ship. When flying people to London, does Oceania normally use Heathrow, I assume? I can likely get from Gatwick or other airports to Southampton fairly easily if that's where we end up, but I was just curious.

I know this subject is highly variable and unpredictable, but if anyone can provide any information on their air experiences, I'd appreciate it. I know Nautica is doing a Northern Europe run from Southampton in June, so I was hoping someone who see this question might be able to relay their experience. This might help me determine if I should request flights from DC or Baltimore, and also whether I should pay extra to get an air deviation for our trip in very late July. We're in an inexpensive cabin and this will be our 8th cruise on Oceania, if those factors make any difference in what airline routing I'm likely to end up with!

This is just speculation on my part

but I would think O would use the airline that they get the best bulk ticket deal with

Your chances of getting a non-stop or a specific airline you want are 50/50

If you want a specific airline or routing ..pay the deviation fee & fly in early if you can

It is well worth the $150 pp for peace of mind knowing the routing but that is just my outlook on the situation

YMMV

Lyn

I don't know who O uses, but wanted to let you know that BA flies one non stop per day from BWI to LHR. It is a 767 so nice configuration for a couple if you are flying economy. Happy travels!

We are not using air deviation for our flights from Chicago to Istanbul then Rome to Chicago. For Chicago to Istanbul, we are on Polish Airlines (not so exciting) with one layover. The awesome thing is on our flight back from Rome to Chicago, we are on American Airlines as a direct flight.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Topelk, it's good to hear that you at least got a nonstop home to Chicago. Lrob, that BA nonstop from BWI is the ONLY nonstop from BWI to Heathrow! Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I'll go for the air deviation and see if I can get that flight, as we really prefer BWI to Dulles. I have pretty much decided to go for the deviation, go to London a day early (I know, not enough, but it will have to do), but no change in date for the return. I want to get nonstops both coming and going. I have to be careful as we have to get from Southampton to London when we return, so I'll need a flight that isn't early. (Anyone know how many hours to allow - maybe 3 extra?)

So, Lyn or someone, could you let me know if this is more or less the way the deviation works:

Our TA booked the cruise, so I need to have him ask for the deviation. I make final payment tomorrow on our cruise in late July, so I can definitely ask for a deviation tomorrow, although the best slots may already have been taken. I assume it's important to research and develop a small list of preferred routings to give my TA, right? Or should I just ask for my top 2 or so, see if they can do it, and go from there? I have a couple days to decide to take any offer, and if I accept, I pay the fee, which then becomes nonrefundable. (Is it $150 per person for roundtrip or just one way?)

If I don't do a deviation, Oceania assigns the flights around a month or so before departure, right? At that point there is no more opportunity to request a deviation, I assume - and probably no good flights available anyway!

There are a good number of nonstop flights to London from my area, which makes me feel hopeful I can get something good. We're also going roundtrip to/from London, rather than the usual "start from one place and end up in another" that is so common with Oceania, so that might be a good thing, too.

I just looked at the itaSoftware matrix and Kayak. I don't think they list Icelandair, which is what Oceania routed us on last year to fly to Copenhagen and return from Stockholm. Does anyone know of other airlines that are not listed on these types of software? I know Southwest isn't, but I believe they only fly domestically, so it doesn't matter in this instance.

Roothy

I would submit the dates you want via your TA to O & see what they offer

If that does not suit then ask for the flights you want

Yes it is $150 pp r/t there may be an upcharge for specific flight but you can always continue to request other routes that may not have an upcharge

I think you have 48hrs to decide once the flights are presented to you

Good luck

Lyn

Archived