Transfers

LHT28

Does anyone have an idea what the cost of a transfer from the airport to hotel in Pittsburgh is ?

I am sure a taxi is probably cheaper but just curious what AQ charges

Hi, Lyn...

I'm not sure AQ provides transfers from the airport to the hotel. Their transfers from the boat to the hotel (if you choose your hotel stay at the end of the cruise) or from the hotel to the boat (if you stay in the hotel prior to the cruise) are handled by their steamcoaches (buses), but these are group transfers. I think they also provide the opportunity for a steamcoach transfer from the boat to the airport as part of a tour in the disembarkation city, at a reasonable fee. But, once again, this would be as a group.

I'm basing my information on our cruise last Summer which was a back-to-back; we were thus entitled to a hotel stay at each end of the cruise. Our transfer to the hotel at the end of the cruise was complimentary, incuded a tour of Louisville, and included some folks who were going on to the airport.

However, arriving guests would be coming in on many different flights and at widely varying times, so the bus transfer would not work. From the AQ web site, "You are responsible for your transportation to and from the airport at your embarkation and debarkation unless you have made specific arrangements with the American Queen Steamboat Company. Transfers to the airport from the vessel or disembarkation day may be purchased onboard." It might pay to call AQ directly with this query.

In Pittsburgh specifically, the aiport is just under 20 miles from downtown, and the average taxi fare is around $40 plus tip. Figure $50 including tip if traffic is somewhat heavy. Interestingly, Super Shuttle, which is usually quite a bit less than taxis, runs $26 for the first passenger and $9 for the second, with a nearly $5 fuel surcharge, so comes to the same $40 plus tip!

I don't remember which hotels AQ is using in Pgh, and I can no longer find the info on their web site, but once you find out which, you can call to see if they offer a free shuttle from the airport.

Thanks Don

We will take a taxi from PIT to the Hotel

We are at the Omni Wm Penn

Looking forward to trying the AQ

Quick question

is the evening dress code similar to Oceania or did you notice more relaxed than O??

Lyn

In my opinion, mosty similar to Oceania, but slightly more relaxed. We saw one elderly gentleman in slacks, decent tee shirts (no advertising) and sneakers every evening. He had a different tee shirt each evenng; it was obvious they were his normal "dress up clothes", he looked nice, and there was no objection. But, that was a rare exception. I didn't see any jeans at dinner (even thpugh they're allowed on Celebrity and other cruise lines), but I also did not see as many sport coats. Ladies always look nice with anything other than "obnoxious" clothes :rolleyes:. Think more ordinary blouse/shirt tops for ladies and more polo/golf shirt tops for men and you'd have it, although the majority looked just like Oceania.

They strive for a relaxed Southern elegance, which is appropriate with good food and included wine service.

As a guideline, I had a chance to meet and briefly tak to the owner and the (at that time) chief executives, and to a person their favorite ocean cruise line, and the one they were trying to emulate, was Oceania.

When are you sailing? We arrive in Pgh on August 10 from Cincy; we're taking our incuded hotel night in Cincy and are going straight to the airport on the 10th to pick up our van. Pgh is our original "home town" and we will be back there at the end of August, so we aren't spending any time sight-seeing.

Think of me a few miles southwest of Pgh as you go through the Emsworth locks, the first set of locks you encounter. Think of an 8 year old boy with his father, standing near the locks, watching the tow boats and the occasional steam paddle wheeler go through the locks, as a steam locomotive passes on the nearby tracks! What nostagia...

Thanks Don

I will pack similar to Oceania except for the sports coat for DH ;)

We are getting on when you get off Aug 10th then to Cinn

Keep the ship clean for us LOL

Lyn

Archived