formal wear for kids ages 11 and under

We have cruised only once before and skipped formal night last time. We did NCL, and with their freestyle concept, we decided to stay as casual as possible the whole time, and didn't have to worry about dress clothes for the kids, as they never own any to begin with.

Not being a big believer in buying clothes just for a trip, we may have to dress them up this time. So for my 11 and 8yr old boys, I was thinking.. long sleeve dress shirt, tie and either dockers or slacks. (whatever's on sale, Im afraid) My 5 year old daughter, of course owns a ton of dresses and dress shoes, so I'm not one bit worried about her. So the boys would have no jacket and also I may mention some pretty casual shoes on. Not sneakers of course, but something like a loafer (slip on type dark colored shoe).

Hubby's going to do dress shirt, pants, tie and sports jacket (Im not thinking suit) and I will have a cocktail type dress, heels of course and pretty wrap.

BTW, this is a 5 day on Carnival's Imagination.

Ok, give it to me... I can take it;) Are we lookin' good, or lookin clueless?:D

I'll be honest, I *think this is dressed enough, especially for children for one night.. but having never done a formal evening on board, I do know I may be somewhat off in my thinking, and willing to listen to tips. (except that kind of tips that say go buy everyone something "more")

Thanks all,

Jules

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this so I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents. I think you will all look fine. There will be some who are dresed more formal, but also some who will be dressed less formal. You'll fit in fine and won't feel out of place at all on a 5 day Carnival cruise. Enjoy the food and your cruise!

You will see everything on formal night, from office wear, Sunday best to full blown ballgowns. For the men there will be pretty much the same, shirtsleeves all the way to tuxedos.

While I'm not what I would consider to be a "clothing snob", I prefer to be dressed very nicely, there's not much opportunity for us to do it other than on a cruise. It's a perfect time to have a formal photo of your family and (despite what others may say) a very inexpensive way to have the formal shot done. Why not take this opportunity to purchase your DH a suit, you can find them on sale for not a whole lot of $$ and he will be able to use it for years to come. Sport coats for the boys don't have to be expensive, either, I've read here where some people even find them at consignment or thrift stores. Since this is your second cruise, you will probably be taking a third, fourth, etc... Plus, a dark suit can be used for more than a cruise, you never know when you might have to attend a funeral (sadly) or, if there is a wedding to go to, he will be prepared. Your boys are old enough to learn there is a time when dressing appropriately is expected. If you purchase the right sized clothing, it will not be uncomfortable.

I've only been on one NCL cruise and I do have to admit, it was very nice not having to pack all the formal wear. We have another short cruise planned with them and will do the same as we did last time. DH and I enjoy dressing up, but we do not need the gown and tux route. I'll wear either a nice pantsuit or skirt and top, he'll wear silk trousers with a nice shirt. We opted out of the formal night, but were still dressed nice enough to not "stick out". We prefer going to the "extra charge" dining venues on NCL, better service, food and ambience, for just a few extra $. The best part about opting out of the formal night was there were no crowds in the alternate restaurants, while the formal dining room had a huge line.

Whatever you choose for your family, have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you all for the kind replies. We will pack what I stated. The only thing to consider is a suit for hubby as he does need one, and as pointed out may come in handy other places. But if I don't get to that, I'll skip it as I see it's not necessary. Also, if I come across sports coats for the boys, great, if not, fine too.

I grew up in NYC. My brother and I always owned formal wear from our ealiest ages. We went to fancy restaurants and got to enjoy limos to go to broadway shows. I now live down a dirt road and back in the woods. My sons have never owned a pair of dress shoes.

Fasion will differ around the globe. Vacations are meant to be enjoyed however you please. If it pleases you to go all out -do it!! I enjoyed it as a child, but could take or leave it now. Reading this board, just furhter points out how wonderfully different we all are. I will enjoy formal night I do think;)

Jules

Archived