NCL Spirit Med Cruise Q&A

Once we got on the ship, DH went back off to the little shop inside the port and bought two bottles of rum and a 6 pack of Coke and carried them on with no problems.

How does Spanish Coke compare to American Coke? I'm kinda picky...

Welcome Back! There are 10 of us going on this cruise in September. I'm hoping it will be the trip of a lifetime! We will be celebrating our 50th birthdays.

My questions:

Did you spend extra time in Barcelona and if you did - what was your favorite site there?

What did you do while in Toulon?

Do you have any favorite spots on the ship?

How was the food in the MDR?

Did you eat in any specialty restaurants and if you did, were they worth the extra cost?

Where did you go when you were docked in Livorno?

Thanks!!

Mindy, i hope it is ok if i jump in on this thread:) i wanted to add a comment about Barcelona. We spent a a day and a half in town and had the opportunity to catch a flamenco show at the Palau de la Musica that evening. I highly recommend adding this to your itinerary if you have the time. It was a once in a lifetime experience. They have performances scheduled for the whole summer. Their website is: http://www.barcelonayflamenco.com

Toulon: we just walked around town, visited the farmer's market that takes up most of the old part of town, toured the "Museum de la Marine" the french Navy museum (my husband is a military history geek) - There is a museum for the French Foreign Legion in Aubagne, a 30 minutes train ride from Toulon.

Livorno: we took the NCL shuttle bus to the train station and took a train to Pisa. Just walked around town and visited the sites. There is a TI office near the train station where you can pick up a map. Very relaxed day.

Istanbul: we did a tour as well - can't imagine getting to see all we did without a guide getting us thru the lines. One note of caution for Turkey: All tours will try to get you to sit down with a carpet or leather goods merchant. Unless you are interested in buying, don't waste a hour of your limited time. Tell them No up front.

Mykonos: we took the NCL shuttle bus to town and walked around. It was a beautiful day and the town is lovely. Bring your wallet ;)

Venice: Along with Mykonos, our favorite port of call. If mobility is not an issue, take the people mover a few feet from the port, it will take you to the entrance of Venice and start walking. IThere are signs on the buildings at street corners that direct you to the sights. We had no problems.

Food: We ate at the Main Dining Room - the food was good but sodium content was high.

Favorite place on ship: Galaxy of the Stars - most entertaining area on board. The staff & guests ;) did a great job.

Enjoy your trip

If anyone remembers, what time was the muster drill in Barcelona? The sail away time is 7:00 pm, and we are trying to figure out dinner arrangements.

Thanks! Less than 30 days to go now!

Everywhere worked well enough to use Skype video.

Fantastic, as this is what we're looking to do too.

Mykonos: we took the NCL shuttle bus to town and walked around. It was a beautiful day and the town is lovely.

Is this a free shuttle?

Also, what time did boarding open in Barcelona?

Thank you (and everyone) for your input so far!

Thanks for the info about WiFi @ McDonald's, we're doing that cruise this July and can't wait. Do you remember the name of that grocery store in Barcelona. We'll be there the Friday before our sail date (Monday) and we'll be staying at the Hotel Continental Barcelona on Las Rambla, around the same area you stayed at.

Thank You.

cheers...the Ump...:D

We stayed at the Hotel Continental for three nights prior. Great location. You really don't need any snacks with the 24 hour snack bar and the Gelato stand right outside on the Ramblas!!

Have a great time, was trip of a lifetime!!

Fantastic, as this is what we're looking to do too.

Is this a free shuttle?

Also, what time did boarding open in Barcelona?

Thank you (and everyone) for your input so far!

Yes the shuttle was free.

Boarding in Barcelona began at 1:00 PM if I remember correctly.

How does Spanish Coke compare to American Coke? I'm kinda picky...

I can't drink American Coke because I'm allergic to corn and its syrup. I did okay with Spanish Coke (and Turkish Coke). DH said it all tasted the same to him.

Food: We ate at the Main Dining Room - the food was good but sodium content was high.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way!

If anyone remembers, what time was the muster drill in Barcelona? The sail away time is 7:00 pm, and we are trying to figure out dinner arrangements.

Thanks! Less than 30 days to go now!

4:30pm. I remember because we arrived to port at 4:30 and saw everyone lined up on the decks.

We were able to board and be on the ship by boarding day 12:30. The muster drill was at 4:15, I believe. I think if it is done backwards I am unsure where you will take the double port day.

Speaking for myself, I am in past-cruise cc withdrawal, so don't mind answering some questions at all. Its funny too, some of the questions asked here, have brought back other memories while on this vacation. The memories are mind boggling in a great way.

The cruise is so amazing, and so many things going on, with ports, excursions, sights etc, it is almost overwhelming. The things you see, the people, the sights. I wish we had double time at some ports, because you can not see everything.

We were booked on the Carnival Sunshine, April 12th which was cancelled 3 weeks before the cruise. We had booked 2 days in Venice before the cruise. We had booked 3 days in Barcelona after the cruise. With this new cruise, it started at the opposite end. When Carnival cancelled the sunshine cruise, the only thing we could find close to the itinerary in that time frame was the NCL Spirit cruise. We were able to keep part of our original flight from Toronto to London (we were to go on to Venice). That flight arrived on the 11th. We had almost a week now before the cruise, on the 17th. Stayed in London for 3 days and then stayed in Barcelona for 3 days. This flight was the only one we could keep from our castaway cruise. The planning that had taken well over the last 8 months, had to be changed within 3 weeks. I think all of us really worked hard for this double whammy cruise. As it turned out, it was just fantastic.

Thank you for the muster drill information. NCL is telling us 30 minutes before sailaway, and 6:30 didn't make sense - right in the middle of dinner times.

Thank you for the muster drill information. NCL is telling us 30 minutes before sailaway, and 6:30 didn't make sense - right in the middle of dinner times.

At least they gave you a time. We called beforehand to ask so we could be on the ship in time, and they didn't know! I guessed it would be at 5pm, but I guessed wrong.

Thank you all very much who have posted info about their Spirit Cruise. This will be our first time to Europe so anything we can get for ideas is just great. Now I not saying we haven't done any research because now that I'm retired, I have researched this trip for about a year.

Our trip is somewhat similar to yours Seaing The World. We'll be just outside London ( Horley) for 5 nights, then Barcelona for 3 nights, Spirit for the 12 Day and then we board the Jade the same day we leave Spirit for a 7 Day Greek Isle cruise. So all the info about the Wine, WiFi, Istanbul etc. is invaluable.

What time would you all recommend we get to the port in Barcelona to board the Spirit, checkout time is 11 am I believe. But I would like to get on-board as soon as possible and explore the ship. What did you folks experience ?

Thanks Again

cheers...the Ump...:D

At least they gave you a time. We called beforehand to ask so we could be on the ship in time, and they didn't know! I guessed it would be at 5pm, but I guessed wrong.

Was your sailaway at 7:00 pm as well? I can see where there will be some people missing the first drill and having to do a make-up one, since NCL says you have to be on board 2 hours before sail away - which would be 5:00. Confusing!

What time would you all recommend we get to the port in Barcelona to board the Spirit, checkout time is 11 am I believe. But I would like to get on-board as soon as possible and explore the ship. What did you folks experience ?

We didn't board until 5 ... but ... if you want to be one of the first on the ship I would recommend going right from your hotel to the port and wait. This is what we did for our DCL trip a while back and it worked great. Just my 2 cents!

Was your sailaway at 7:00 pm as well? I can see where there will be some people missing the first drill and having to do a make-up one, since NCL says you have to be on board 2 hours before sail away - which would be 5:00. Confusing!

Yes, 7pm. Yes, that is why I assumed muster would be after 5pm. Thanks for the mind refresher!

I have always arrived at the port around 11AM and have been able to check-in and then board the ship around 12 noon. I have always boarded at Barcelona before but this time I am boarding at Venice so will be arriving later anyway.

On the Venice-Barcelona run the safety drill is at 4.30PM on boarding day. I asked someone on the ship and that is what he said.

On Barcelona-Venice I recall it being 4.30PM also.

I think this is to get it finished and the staff involved back to their jobs before the dinner service starts at 5.30. Those who do not attend have to go the following day to a catch up drill.

Those who do not attend have to go the following day to a catch up drill.

We received the letter to go the next day, the problem was it was in the middle of a port day. I went to the front desk and told the rep we couldn't make it since we would be in port. He said to just watch the safety channel, read the info on the back of our door, and physically look for our muster spot on Deck 7. (And we did.) When we got back from port that day, we received a stern letter on our door saying that we missed the makeup drill and to basically do everything the rep told me the day before.

I have a question about how NCL handled the shuttles. Which ports were shuttles offered? Livorno and Mykonos? Where did the shuttles drop you off? Were they free? How often did they run? Where did you dock in Toulon?

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you who have been on the Spirit & who are answering questions. My DD & I are taking this cruise next year as her graduation present. Truly looking forward to it & starting to plan already! Your input is great!

Janet

I have a question about how NCL handled the shuttles. Which ports were shuttles offered? Livorno and Mykonos? Where did the shuttles drop you off? Were they free? How often did they run? Where did you dock in Toulon?

Thanks!

I remember a shuttle in Livorno from the ship to the train station every 30 minutes -there was a charge (i think 10 euro pp) and it was well worth it.

Shuttle in Mykonos from ship to town every 30 minutes - no charge. The town isn't that far, but it is not a nice walk.

In Toulon, we docked right in the municipal harbor at the entrance of the old town - very nice.

Mindy, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. We also were on this cruise and had a wonderful time.

Mindy is correct, Istanbul is by far the most crowded city I have ever been too (with Singapore coming in a close second!). We did this port on our own. We were docked close to the Galata Bridge, so we just walked in (there is a tram available for 2TL). We walked to all the the main spots (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Underground Cistern, Hippodrome, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, and Spice Market). We are not big on paying to go into places, but did for the Underground Cistern (not worth the 10TL in my opinion). ATMs are available outside the port to take out TL, but as Mindy said, many places accepted Credit Cards or Euros. Only the Tram requires TL. We did a tour booked with some folks in the CC Roll Call in Izmir to Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary - great tour and well worth it.

Realitoes--I love to hear that you walked in Istanbul. One question: everyone (on another site) mentions that going to all the sites is uphill. Is this a nice, gentle hill or a wipe-you-out hill? I'm fairly fit, but it's also going to be hot when I'm there. Just want to know if the hill will be any problem...

Thanks!

I remember a shuttle in Livorno from the ship to the train station every 30 minutes -there was a charge (i think 10 euro pp) and it was well worth it.

Shuttle in Mykonos from ship to town every 30 minutes - no charge. The town isn't that far, but it is not a nice walk.

In Toulon, we docked right in the municipal harbor at the entrance of the old town - very nice.

I can vouch!!! The walk from Mykonos town back to the ship is much longer than it looked. We walked back...because the bus line was long...and WOW was it a long walk with not much roadway.....

We did a tour in Livorno to Florence so can't answer about that one

Thanks to all of you who have been on the Spirit & who are answering questions. My DD & I are taking this cruise next year as her graduation present. Truly looking forward to it & starting to plan already! Your input is great!

Janet

Taking my DD as her graduation gift next summer too!

Realitoes--I love to hear that you walked in Istanbul. One question: everyone (on another site) mentions that going to all the sites is uphill. Is this a nice, gentle hill or a wipe-you-out hill? I'm fairly fit, but it's also going to be hot when I'm there. Just want to know if the hill will be any problem...

Thanks!

We also did the walk from the ship to the Sophia, Blue M, etc. I do not recall any major uphill areas. I think there was a block with a gentle up grade, but that was about it. We ended up following the trolly tracks there.

From the ship across the bridge and across the street is about 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes following the trolly tracks.

If you continue following the trolly tracks they will lead you to the Grand B.

As mentioned there were a good amount of folks out. I could not imagine it in the hot summer, with more people there.

And just say 'no' to the folks who want to be your friend and show you their rug shop, don't stop - just keep walking. They will continue talking and following you, and eventually give up on you. Thats the best advice I heard, and will pass it along. :)