NCL Spirit Med Cruise Q&A

They did it twice on our sailing. Can't remember which nights but they were sea days so that narrows it down a lot.

On our cruise from Barcelona to Venice (June 4th-16th), Chefs table was on the 1st sea day and on Mykonos day. We did it on the 1st night, and thought it was well worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by gjr

On our cruise from Barcelona to Venice (June 4th-16th), Chefs table was on the 1st sea day and on Mykonos day. We did it on the 1st night, and thought it was well worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

This was the same for our sailing April, as well. We did it on the Mykonos day. The chefs table was a highlight of the trip.

Hi, we are going on this cruise on 22 July 2013 and we need to know what the dress code is for the captains night, is it formal ? Also, it mentions something about white night? Whats this? Do they have a sail away party too?? Thanks xx

There are no formal nights on NCL, only dress up or not nights. There is no Captains night either although a couple of times during the cruise he makes himself available for pictures with him in the atrium.

The Captain for your sailing should be Lars. Say hi to him from me and tell him I will be back to cause trouble sometime this winter. He is a very funny man and when we are together we are a danger to anyone within range. You will love him.

Hi, we are going on this cruise on 22 July 2013 and we need to know what the dress code is for the captains night, is it formal ? Also, it mentions something about white night? Whats this? Do they have a sail away party too?? Thanks xx

White Party is just a theme dance party where guests are encouraged to dress all in white. It's discussed earlier in this thread. Like all theme nights, participation is optional.

Hello! I just got back home from the first Med sailing of the season on the NCL Spirit. If anyone has any questions about this itinerary, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Mindy, Thank you very much for starting this thread! It has been very useful to us. A few questions:

1. Do the cabins have a safe? (The discussion of the fridge was very useful.)

2. Please describe what a "Chef's Table" is? If it was the highlight of your trip, we'd love to hear more about it.

3. Does anyone have any comments on the St. Tropez shore excursion from Toulon? The NCL website doesn't have any reviews of it yet.

Thanks again,

Gord.

Mindy, Thank you very much for starting this thread! It has been very useful to us. A few questions:

2. Please describe what a "Chef's Table" is? If it was the highlight of your trip, we'd love to hear more about it.

3. Does anyone have any comments on the St. Tropez shore excursion from Toulon? The NCL website doesn't have any reviews of it yet.

Thanks again,

Gord.

1. Yes, a small one but big enough to stash our money and ipad while we were at port.

2. Chef's Table is a nine course meal fancy meal and it's limited to 10 guests per meal so it's very private and exclusive. It's definitely for "foodies." I think it was $80 or $90 per person. Five star dining and service. I'm slowly working on a trip report on my personal blog and will post here when I finish writing about that day.

3. On our Toulon stop we took a taxi to Bandol so I can't comment on St. Tropez.

Thanks again,

Gord.

1. Yes on the safe. It is small in the closet, but held our extra monies and tablets while in ports.

2. Included in the Chef's table is pretty much all the wine you can drink. I think we had 3 different wines paired up with the different courses. There was also a drink at the front end and the back end of the dinner at Champaign Charlie's. The 9 courses did not seem like an overabundance of food. To us, all the portions were a nice size, and didn't feel stuffed from the food. We did feel the wine though, and were thankful we could relax on the beach in Mykonos the next day.

3. Can answer the Toulon question. We took the train to Cassis to see the Calanques, and had an experience trying to get back to the train station. The station is well above the town, and when the train got in, there was an abundance of cabs and the local bus to take you down to the port. At 2 in the afternoon, no cabs were to be found, and several different taxi companies did not answer the phone. There were 3 different groups from the ship that had to beg locals to take us back up to the train station. It is about a 2 to 3 mile hike up the hills from the town to the station.

• 1 year later...

Really enjoyed reading this thread and some of the reviews linked to it as well.

What I was wondered and have not seen is what time are the shows for this cruise? Does anyone remember? It being a smaller ship I would guess there is just one. If anyone has Daile images that would be AWESOME!

I would be helpful to have for trying to judge dinner times.

Thank you all again for the great topic, am sharing it with my Roll Call for our 2015 cruise in May!

Nancy

• 3 months later...
budgetfairytale, Realitoes, Da-Painter, Joannel1958, kapitman, and Seaing the World, thank you all for posting your experiences and thoughts about your cruise. Very interesting and helpful information by each of you!

Thank you all for sharing your expeirence great job. I will be sailing on Spet. 18.

Your review has been very helpful.

Not sure if I read on Visa, is there one needed in any port? To my inderstanding one is not needed, but my sister is nerveous that we don't get one and we might need it.

Again thanks for all the great information

Margie

Thank you all for sharing your expeirence great job. I will be sailing on Spet. 18.

Your review has been very helpful.

Not sure if I read on Visa, is there one needed in any port? To my inderstanding one is not needed, but my sister is nerveous that we don't get one and we might need it.

Again thanks for all the great information

Margie

Sapphire,

Spain, France, Italy and Greece are all members of the Schengen Convention, therefore, if you are from a Schengen State or member of an exception state (such as the US), you do not need a visa in advance. You are allow a combined time in all member states of 90 days out of every six months period.

I have read that Turkey has recently changed their Visa requirements again. It looks like you will need to apply for a visa prior to your cruise. Check out these links for more information (assuming everyone in your group are US citizens):

US Embassy Ankara, Turkey

Turkish Embassy

Turkey E-Visa

When traveling abroad, it is always best to research each countries requirements yourself. Travel companies, including cruise lines normally have a disclaimer putting this requirement on to you and will deny you boarding if you don't have the proper documents.

Edited by Realitoes

Sapphire,

Spain, France, Italy and Greece are all members of the Schengen Convention, therefore, if you are from a Schengen State or member of an exception state (such as the US), you do not need a visa in advance. You are allow a combined time in all member states of 90 days out of every six months period.

I have read that Turkey has recently changed their Visa requirements again. It looks like you will need to apply for a visa prior to your cruise. Check out these links for more information (assuming everyone in your group are US citizens):

US Embassy Ankara, Turkey

Turkish Embassy

Turkey E-Visa

When traveling abroad, it is always best to research each countries requirements yourself. Travel companies, including cruise lines normally have a disclaimer putting this requirement on to you and will deny you boarding if you don't have the proper documents.

"According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours."

"According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours."

Hawk, looks like you may be right, but I would still check, as it can change - especially when it concerns Turkey! :)

I've also seen some comments that a visa may still be required if you leave the port city.

Edited by Realitoes

• 2 weeks later...
Hawk, looks like you may be right, but I would still check, as it can change - especially when it concerns Turkey! :)

I've also seen some comments that a visa may still be required if you leave the port city.

just off spirit and passports were taken off you on boarding and returned at the end of the cruise, no visa required for Turkey visit.

just off spirit and passports were taken off you on boarding and returned at the end of the cruise, no visa required for Turkey visit.

Thanks, I feel so much better knowing this, How about for flights? I will be flying into Bercelona, and return flight is from Venice going Spirit 9/18/15, any idea if I would need a Visa?

Thanks

Margie

No passports required for any of the ports including Barcelona and Venice, if you are a US or Canadian citizen.

Sorry for the misprint. That should have read only passports are required, NOT visas for US or Canadian citizens

Barcelona airport if by taxi is a flat 39 euro.

Be very careful with your belongings, especially on the RAMBLES

Boat drill is at 4.30

while the ship is in Barcelona, leaves 7pm, Spanish VAT is added to ALL purchases until 11.30 pm

If you purchase any large items in EU ask the shop for a VAT REFUND FORM to reclaim at the airport.

We arrived a 2pm and overnight in Venice be on the Starboard side for the entry into Venice, great views.

Venice transfer, book a taxi or use the Ship, its a fair walk to the bus station.

we enjoyed the ship.

If you are able to, go on the Secret tour of the Doges Palace it takes you to the Prison and where Cassanova cell was.

enjoy the cruise and hope others in the Meet and MINGLE GROUP will enjoy the party.

J

So if u get a drink on the UBP and you are in barcelona, would u end up paying more because of the Vat?

Also, are there lots of taxis at port in toulon? Did anyone go to cassis via taxi or just train? When it says we dock in Toulon at 9, what time were u off the ship as there is a train at 924?