BAck way out of the docks from Mayflower

Brayman

The last couple of times we have disembarked at the Mayflower terminal I have set my sat-nav for the journey home and both times it has directed me out along dock roads, past a mountain of scrap metal and then out at the Milbrook(?) roundabout with only a short piece of road to the Redbridge roundabout and the M271.

I would like to go in that way next week and wondered if anyone else uses that route to avoid the West Quay road that gets a bit busy on ship turnaround days.

I'm a little concerned about getting lost in the docks!

Yes we usually go in that way, especially if the football team is playing at home or Ikea have a sale...you need Dock Gate 20 and basically just turn left shortly after entering and keep going to meet the road that comes from Dock Gate 10 ...you will see the ship so just keep driving towards it !! We don't have sat nav and manage to find the ship every time !!:):)

I printed a map off the internet beforehand the first time we did it, just so as we knew the names of the roads so perhaps you could have a look and see how straightforward it really is !

As you come off the M271 stay in the left hand lane (do not join the main A33) then filter off to the roundabout by McDonalds and KFC and take the 4th exit (a right turn) into the Dock gate.

Once in the docks go left at the roundabout into Western avenue, follow this then right into Herbert Walker Avenue and the Maylfower Terminal.

The last couple of times we have disembarked at the Mayflower terminal I have set my sat-nav for the journey home and both times it has directed me out along dock roads, past a mountain of scrap metal and then out at the Milbrook(?) roundabout with only a short piece of road to the Redbridge roundabout and the M271.

I would like to go in that way next week and wondered if anyone else uses that route to avoid the West Quay road that gets a bit busy on ship turnaround days.

I'm a little concerned about getting lost in the docks!

We left from Ocean terminal last Saturday (27/4) and the Sat Nav took us via the Redbridge Roundabout. Word of caution there were road works taking place ,sorry didn't notice how long they were lasting. Arrived coming down from A34/M3 around midday. No major queue to speak of but traffic filtered down to one lane from three on the approach over about half a mile. Our departure was delayed as I think others were later caught up and late. There was a Southampton home match the same day so that wouldn't have helped along with three other cruise ships in port. P&O did email to warn of this combination, so hopefully they will you if they consider it a problem, but be aware. Came back into Mayflower this morning and took a different route so not able to give an update from today.

We did a visit to Aurora last Sunday. On tbe way down the roadworks were in place, but by the time we returned at a out 2PM, it was all finished and traffic was flowing normally.

Brian

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Archived