cushion seat

I have trouble sitting for extended period of time. Can anyone help me with information about a cushion eat. It might be called a doughnut hole. I think people with Diabetes use it

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone used any donut cushion and could you recommend any?

I am neither a doctor or physical therapist . However if it were me, I would consult with my doctor and or a physical therapist before purchasing something suggested on a CC Forum. Not knowing what your specific issue is other than "having trouble sitting for extended periods of time" you may actually be doing more harm than good to your body by not purchasing the correct cushion.

For example

• A donut hole cushion is designed to reduce discomfort after surgery (i.e. Hemorrhoid surgery) or pregnancy.
  • A Wedged shape cushion is designed to tilt the pelvis slightly forward to help to restore the spine's natural curve, giving it more stability and support
  • A Coccyx Cushions which has a "U" shaped cut-out on the back of the cushion is designed to help reduce direct pressure on the tailbone
  • A Foam Egg Crate Seat Cushion is often recommended for use in situations where an individual is seated for extended periods of time.

These are just a few of the cushions on the market today. There are numerous other designs all touting different benefits and it's because of this it's recommended that you work with someone that knows your need to insure you are getting what is best for your specific situation.

Donut cushions are designed for those who have inflammed hemmorhoids, or who have had hemorrhoid surgery recently. Foam eggcrate is equally ineffective in reducing pressure.

If you have a disability which decreases your mobility and/or sensation, you should get a wheelchair cushion that is fit for you, and is designed to decrease pressure and redistribute your weight to help prevent pressure ulcers. Donut type cushions are NOT good for this purpose. Your cushion should be used when riding in the car or on a plane as well as sitting in a wheelchair.

If you have a problem like this, it is strongly recommended that you be custom fit for a cushion by a PT or OT who has specialized training in cushion fitting, ideally on a variety of cushions, using an interface computerized pressure measurement system to help choose the cushion that is right for your needs.

Archived