Cycling in Juneau

ELWmusic1

Does anyone have any experience cycling in Juneau? We will need to rent bikes.

I used to live in Douglas(across the channel from Juneau) and would often ride downtown via the bridge.

I am unable to recommend any bike rental outfits, though, I can suggest that N. Douglas Hwy.(Douglas island) makes for a very nice ride.

Heading out to Mendenhall (and beyond) from downtown, Egan Drive is the main road that goes out to the valley and is more suited for auto vehicles. There is however Glacier Hwy paralleling Egan, and it could be considered as a more cycle friendly route out to the valley. Check out 'google maps'.

That is where I rented from last year. I rode to the glacier and back with a stop at the Alaska Brewery on the way back. If you are in pretty good riding shape it will be fine however it is about 15-18 miles each way. I remember it was longer than I thought. I walked to the shop from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is where I rented from last year. I rode to the glacier and back with a stop at the Alaska Brewery on the way back. If you are in pretty good riding shape it will be fine however it is about 15-18 miles each way. I remember it was longer than I thought. I walked to the shop from the ship.

Thanks! We are experienced riders and were planning to bike out to the Mendenhall visitors center and back. Or, if we get tired (how hilly is the ride, by the way?) we will take the city bus back - a real bargain at only $2! Definitely planning a stop at the brewery. We try to rent bikes whenever we travel and find this is a fun, and affordable, way to tour new places!

Thanks! We are experienced riders and were planning to bike out to the Mendenhall visitors center and back. Or, if we get tired (how hilly is the ride, by the way?) we will take the city bus back - a real bargain at only $2! Definitely planning a stop at the brewery. We try to rent bikes whenever we travel and find this is a fun, and affordable, way to tour new places!

Not that bad, slightly hilly the last mile or so. I enjoyed the walk to and from as well , added exercise and had a late lunch on the way walking back. Make sure you get their locks, will need at visitor center. Also no food eating outside the center, not even a granola bar.

This is exactly what we plan to do. I was also wanting to know about renting from Cycle Alaska. You can reserve a bike from them, but have to pay in full. I don't really want to do that in case we change our mind because of the weather or something. Do they run out of bikes to rent? Are reservations really needed? Or can I just get two bikes the day of? We are experienced riders so I am not really concerned about the distance or hills.

Not that bad, slightly hilly the last mile or so. I enjoyed the walk to and from as well , added exercise and had a late lunch on the way walking back. Make sure you get their locks, will need at visitor center. Also no food eating outside the center, not even a granola bar.

Thanks for the great tips!

This is exactly what we plan to do. I was also wanting to know about renting from Cycle Alaska. You can reserve a bike from them, but have to pay in full. I don't really want to do that in case we change our mind because of the weather or something. Do they run out of bikes to rent? Are reservations really needed? Or can I just get two bikes the day of? We are experienced riders so I am not really concerned about the distance or hills.

Great questions...I don't want to reserve in advance either, just in case the weather sucks or we decide to do something else. When is your cruise? We leave in two days...woo hoo!

Great questions...I don't want to reserve in advance either, just in case the weather sucks or we decide to do something else. When is your cruise? We leave in two days...woo hoo!

June 19 on the Coral Princess. I am so excited!!!

Yes, probably best to wait and see. Maybe a local will report, but as of last week they had new snow in Juneau. If there's significant snow when you get there, cycling might not be ideal. :eek:

June 19 on the Coral Princess. I am so excited!!!

I'll try to remember to report back here after our cruise with any details about our bike rental experience. We're very excited - in fact, I just now packed my bike shorts and gloves. It looks like the weather might actually cooperate too. Crossing fingers!

Yes, probably best to wait and see. Maybe a local will report, but as of last week they had new snow in Juneau. If there's significant snow when you get there, cycling might not be ideal. :eek:

Being from Western Washington you'd be surprised what we're willing to cycle in! But, I agree, snow would be no fun. The extended forecast is actually calling for decent weather in Juneau this Friday, which is when we're in port, so I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

Archived