Cruise Insurance

Mary49

I have never needed insurance, but always buy it for the family. Like Makingwaves, I've hit the big 6-0, so tend to buy through the cruiseline since insuremytrip.com is equal or more expensive for me. That said, insurance is one of those odd things - you may never need it, but when you do, you need it right then! It adds some to the cost of the trip, but I'd rather be prepared. :)

I believe it is good to have. We uses to not really buy it for shorter cruises but we started to and very glad we did. Well worth it as we had to use when my Grandmother passed away in January and we canceled a cruise that we were supposed to go on.

No way would we cruise without travel insurance.

I have a 92 year old dad, and a DH that is a heart patient.

He suffered two heart attacks in two years. He has remained heart healthy since 2005, but we try to be safe rather than sorry.

Cruising without insurance is not an option for us, even if it does cost more now that we are "older".:eek:

We always purchase insurance (not from the cruiseline). We could eat the cost of the cruise, etc., but certainly not the cost of medical care and/or emergency evacuation.

What we've done in this situation is to buy "$0 trip cost" coverage. It covers all the "fixed benefit" events (missed connex, delay, emergency medical, evac, baggage loss & delay) but provides NOTHING for cancellation or interruption to recover the cost of the trip itself. It is much less expensive than covering the cost of the cruise. Might not work for others, but we're comfortable with assuming that part of the risk. I want coverage for the low-probability/high-cost event.

What we've done in this situation is to buy "$0 trip cost" coverage. It covers all the "fixed benefit" events (missed connex, delay, emergency medical, evac, baggage loss & delay) but provides NOTHING for cancellation or interruption to recover the cost of the trip itself. It is much less expensive than covering the cost of the cruise. Might not work for others, but we're comfortable with assuming that part of the risk. I want coverage for the low-probability/high-cost event.

That's what I do as well.

If you do the $0 trip cost would you just file with your own insurance for anything else and basically just lose the cost of the trip?

If you do the $0 trip cost would you just file with your own insurance for anything else and basically just lose the cost of the trip?

You file with the travel insurance provider for covered events (sickness, theft, delay, evacuation, etc.). You might also have coverage with your homeowners, health, auto, credit cards that could apply in some situations and you can file with them, too. But you get $0 for the cost of the cruise.

Buying less than "full" non-refundable trip cost can also negate any pre-existing condition waivers with some carriers, if that matters in your situation.

Archived