Buenos Aires Mardi Gras Carnival

Astro Flyer

Does anyone know if BA has a big Mardi Gras Carnival celebration? We were in NOLA a couple of days before Mardi Gras this past February & had lots of activities. It also resulted in expensive airfares & hotels so wondering if it could have a similar affect in BA?

We're booked on a cruise from BA sailing a couple of days before Mardi Gras which is on March 4, 2014 & wondering if anyone knows about any type of Mardi Gras activities in BA?

Does anyone know if BA has a big Mardi Gras Carnival celebration? We were in NOLA a couple of days before Mardi Gras this past February & had lots of activities. It also resulted in expensive airfares & hotels so wondering if it could have a similar affect in BA?

We're booked on a cruise from BA sailing a couple of days before Mardi Gras which is on March 4, 2014 & wondering if anyone knows about any type of Mardi Gras activities in BA?

Mardi GRAS is a low key affair in Buenos Aires, in stark contrast to New Orleans or Rio. There are a couple of smaller towns in Argentina that go all out for Carnival, but surprisingly not in BA, despite it's reputation s a world class part city.

Mardi GRAS is a low key affair in Buenos Aires, in stark contrast to New Orleans or Rio. There are a couple of smaller towns in Argentina that go all out for Carnival, but surprisingly not in BA, despite it's reputation s a world class part city.

Thanks & I appreciate your insights on SA which for us will be our 1st time there. :)

Mardi Gras will be a seaday for us so they'll probably have some activities planned to generate additional income from the sale of alcoholic drinks. ;)

Thanks & I appreciate your insights on SA which for us will be our 1st time there. :)

Mardi Gras will be a seaday for us so they'll probably have some activities planned to generate additional income from the sale of alcoholic drinks. ;)

Carnival in Buenos Aires http://wander-argentina.com/carnival-in-buenos-aires/ (and it's not just during Carnival week).

How big a deal Carnaval is, and over how many days, varies from place to place. Throughout Brazil, Carniaval covers several days, with many businesses closed for the week, though in some cities the biggest parade is just on Sunday. Tuesday (Mardi Gras being the French term used in New Orleans and some other places) not necessarily the biggest day even in many Brazilian cities. Monday and Tuesday are holidays in Argentina.

Since you'll be on a ship on Tuesday and may want to celebrate Carniaval, you might pack a costume, or make one on board. Something tasteful and restrained. Some ideas at http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/travel/carnival-climaxes-in-rio-20130211-2e7na.html (#6 has a nautical theme, and ideas for men's costumes).

Edited by Fattony

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I'll be on HAL boarding on Mar 4. I will be in BA for 5 days prior to boarding because i wanted to experience Mardis Gras in BA. The big carnival will be held in Gualeguaychu(north of BA). The last parade will be on Mar 1, 2014. My contact from BA (http://www.batravelguide.com) found a day trip tour to watch the parade on Mar 1. It's a bus trip from BA to Gualeguaychu, watch the parade at night and come back early morning hours. If interested contact Sandra at http://www.batravelguide.com. I'm traveling alone so I could use some company. By the way, i'm from Los Angeles area.

Grace

Edited by trvl4life1211