tipping at lebistro

califyrman

I don't think it's "expected" but people sometimes do tip for "above and beyond" service. Our waiter at Le Bistro (Ivan) was superb, and really took the time to make everything great for us! Truly tops -. We gave him $20, I think.

There was one other night when we tipped as well.

Just wondering if tipping is expected at lebistro or it is just part of the daily amounts that are automatically billed to my room.
The wait staff in LeBistro does participate in the pooled tips that are automatically billed every day. But if you receive service that you think warrants more of a tip, it's certainly appreciated.

Just wondering if tipping is expected at lebistro or it is just part of the daily amounts that are automatically billed to my room.

Thanks for your replies.

We find it very difficult not to tip in any of the restaurants on the Dawn. We have found excellent service in all of the restaurants.

You will know by the end of your meal if a tip is warranted. I'm sure they appreciate any additional tip that you leave.

I wouldn't say it is expected but it is a compliment to your server.:)

The wait staff in LeBistro does participate in the pooled tips that are automatically billed every day. But if you receive service that you think warrants more of a tip, it's certainly appreciated.

Thanks Cecilia, We've been wondering if they participate in the pooled tips. We have always tipped extra but it's nice to know these little tidbits of information.

From reading this board, I understand the best 'tip' is a good mention by name on the comment card. The more compliments they get, the sooner they can rise above their assigned station which translates into higher pay for them. That goes for everyone from room stewarts to servers etc.

Happy cruising!

In the premium restaurants (Le Bistro, Cagney's, etc.) I've gone on the assumption that it's appropriate to tip on the value of the premium charge. Since the extra surcharge doesn't cover the entire cost of the meal, but is *in addition to* the meal's base price that's included in the cost of the cruise, I presumed that the waitstaff shared in the pooled tips and - in addition - merited an additional gratuity. So, for places like Le Bistro, I've always added an additional $3-4. In addition to seeming logical, I've also regarded the extra tip as appropriate because the service is usually outstanding.

My take - if the service is really good, leave a few bucks. When we were on the Sky we ate at Le Bistro and at the Italian restaurant (whose name escapes me). The service at Le Bistro was excellent - so we left a few bucks. Unfortunately at the Italian restaurant it was just acceptable (we actually had much better service in the main dining rooms) - so sorry no tip there.

I don't think it's "expected" but people sometimes do tip for "above and beyond" service. Our waiter at Le Bistro (Ivan) was superb, and really took the time to make everything great for us! Truly tops -. We gave him $20, I think.

There was one other night when we tipped as well.

I know we left Ivan at least $20 both times last Dec. He was absolutely terrific. As one example, my wife asked him where she could find Creme' Brulee' on the Dawn, and before we knew it, he went to the Japanese restaurant and brought back 4 orders to go. We had already filled up on chocolate fondue, but he wrapped them in plastic for a next day snack.

We definitely left extra tips the three nights we dined in specialty restaurants this past week (but looking back, maybe we should have left cash instead of writing it in the tip portion of the receipt?). Also, we had the same two people both nights at LeBistro who were outstanding and we were sure to put their names in the written comments at the end of the cruise. :)

I am confused also. Is it better to leave a cash tip or add it to the dinner receipt in the tip line? Or does it make any difference? There are obviously many people serving you in the alternative restaurants---waiter, assistant waiters, wine steward, etc---so would any tip money left in either case be pooled?

I have not cruised NCL before but I have been on RCL and have dined in the alternative restaurants there. I don't recall ever seeing cash left on the tables. I guess I don't see why cash would be preferable to adding a tip to the dinner receipt.

I will be on the Spirit sailing 7/16/05 with my sister and her husband, and we are looking forward to trying at least a couple of the alternative restaurants. We want to make sure we understand the tipping situation before we go.

Sue

I have many friends who work on the Dream and the Spirit, they've told me without a doubt a CASH tip is the best form of tipping....

This what a buddy of mine (bartender) told me how it works....I hope I understood this correctly...

NCL gaurantees a person a monthly salary.... just for discussion, let's say $1000 gaurantee (I think he told me his was $1050 monthly).... what occurs as the month passes and the auto 15% gratuity builds (including added tips to the invoice) this is part of the gaurantee...if at the end of the month and his autogratuity bank is 900...then NCL only has to make up $100....if his autogratuity bank exceeds 1000...then NCL doens't have to contribute anything....so, by adding the tip to the invoice, that's only helping NCL have to potentially contribute less...so bottom line, PLZ tip in cash...then the server is gauranteed to see the tip...

I have many friends who work on the Dream and the Spirit, they've told me without a doubt a CASH tip is the best form of tipping....

This what a buddy of mine (bartender) told me how it works....I hope I understood this correctly...

NCL gaurantees a person a monthly salary.... just for discussion, let's say $1000 gaurantee (I think he told me his was $1050 monthly).... what occurs as the month passes and the auto 15% gratuity builds (including added tips to the invoice) this is part of the gaurantee...if at the end of the month and his autogratuity bank is 900...then NCL only has to make up $100....if his autogratuity bank exceeds 1000...then NCL doens't have to contribute anything....so, by adding the tip to the invoice, that's only helping NCL have to potentially contribute less...so bottom line, PLZ tip in cash...then the server is gauranteed to see the tip...

That is exactly as it was explained to me. If they don't recover the $1000 draw then the extra tips just go against the shortfall never to be seen.

I am confused also. Is it better to leave a cash tip or add it to the dinner receipt in the tip line? Or does it make any difference? There are obviously many people serving you in the alternative restaurants---waiter, assistant waiters, wine steward, etc---so would any tip money left in either case be pooled?

I have not cruised NCL before but I have been on RCL and have dined in the alternative restaurants there. I don't recall ever seeing cash left on the tables. I guess I don't see why cash would be preferable to adding a tip to the dinner receipt.

I will be on the Spirit sailing 7/16/05 with my sister and her husband, and we are looking forward to trying at least a couple of the alternative restaurants. We want to make sure we understand the tipping situation before we go.

Sue

Here is what I would tell them. No additional tip is required or expected. If they fell that one is earned they can leave cash or add it to the bill what ever makes them comfortable. Either way the staff will be thankful.

I knew most of this. I didn't realize that there was a monthly guarantee though. I've always been told that the 15% gratuity is what makes up the salary. So if the auto gratuity adds up to more than $1,000, does your bartender friend get the $1,000 plus anything over that? And not that I want NCL to not have to pay but by giving the tip in cash, NCL has to make up for the deficit and in the end that may affect cruise rates so wouldn't the cruiser prefer to tip on the check?

Just curious:

All of you who tip every time you eat, drink, get an extra water, helped off the tender: What do you think you are paying $10 per day per person for?

More importantly: When you are not cruise free stylke, how much do you spend per day on tips? About $25 person? This is a serious question.

It sounds like you must spend about $700 per cruise for a family of four on a non free style cruise.

I think $40 per day per family of four for gratuities on a cruise is a perfectly generous tip.

All of you who tip every time you eat, drink, get an extra water, helped off the tender: What do you think you are paying $10 per day per person for?
$10 per person per day is the minimum. That's the minimum amount the cruise line takes for tipping. If someone goes above and beyond for me, I'll tip above that just as I would in my everyday life when someone does something above and beyond for me. The $10 per person per day covers a lot of people and if I get service that I think warrants extra, I give extra. There's no standard I follow for how much extra I'll give. Sometimes it comes out to $50 extra for the whole cruise or maybe $100 extra if it was a longer cruise. If someone doesn't want to give anything extra because they think the $10 per person per day should cover it all, then that's how they feel and they aren't obligated to do anything else.

Just curious:

More importantly: When you are not cruise free stylke, how much do you spend per day on tips? About $25 person? This is a serious question.

It sounds like you must spend about $700 per cruise for a family of four on a non free style cruise.

I think $40 per day per family of four for gratuities on a cruise is a perfectly generous tip.

Again, as I have said before, tipping is a personal thing and no you do not have to tip someone who helps you off the ship etc. Let's be serious, I hope you were kidding. I know they have the little cup there, but unless they were to go out of their way I would not leave anything. As for others, it does depend on the service. I try to remember what it would cost on land for the service I am getting on a ship. A hotel would be about $3.00 to $5.00 per day for two just for house keeping: a meal like what we have for dinner on a ship would cost upewards to $100 for dinner alone, tip, depending on where you live a min of $15.00 more like $20 for two. Add breakfast and lunch plus a few other people, $10 isn't much. Even if we do a buffet at home we always leave a $1.00 per person min. If you think ships expect max in tips, try going to Las Vegas!!!! for us the $10 per day is a min and we normally will add a few dollars for outstanding service. Le Bistro is just that and we want those who servced us to get the money in cash. NMNita

As others have said, $10 is just the minimum that should be tipped. When you consider the number of meals that are served and the number of service personnel involved, I have no problem tipping more than that amount when the service warrants it.

Archived