Pre-booking excursions/restaurants online when you have OBC? Also, pre-pay gratuities

mikeerdas

We have some OBC for the Norwegian Jade. We're also thinking of pre-booking an excursion and some specialty restaurants online.

Here's the question: if we book in advance online, does it allow you to specify that OBC be used? Or will it demand a credit card and instantly charge it to that?

Torn between wanting to pre-book some things online, but not sure I want my credit card charged, e.g. would be nice to have an option to choose OBC.

Also, may I pre-pay my gratuities online? This is for a booking made directly with NCL. Ok with paying by credit card for the gratuities. Or will I need to call NCL to do this since I didn't arrange it in advance?

So far, when I try to reserve specialty restaurants online for the Jade, each reservation is added to a shopping cart. And to check out, it wants a credit card. Don't see an OBC option.

On NCL's web site, I do see a pre-paid gratuities section here:

Help > View Reservation Details > Pre-pay service charges

There is only an option to pay by credit card. Not with OBC.

OBC can only be used once you have boarded the ship. Anything purchased (excursions, specialty dining) ahead of time will be charged immediately to your credit card.

Thanks Novastar. So if I really don't want to miss out on specialty restaurant availability, I better book online and pay outright then.

Thanks Novastar. So if I really don't want to miss out on specialty restaurant availability, I better book online and pay outright then.

I think the only restaurant that you should book ahead is Teppanyaki and that is due to the limited seating available there. You should be OK with all the others if you wait until you are on board to make reservations and then you can use your OBC.

I think the only restaurant that you should book ahead is Teppanyaki and that is due to the limited seating available there. You should be OK with all the others if you wait until you are on board to make reservations and then you can use your OBC.

Perfect, thanks! Very helpful to know, since we're looking specifically at Teppanyaki (as well as Le Bistro and Moderno's).

You won't miss out on specialty restaurants. With the recent price increases, fewer people pay the extra to eat there. We have been on dozens of cruises and never had any problem booking a fee restaurant, usually the same day. The only exception is Teppanyaki, and this is only because they have so few seatings per day.

I read that they give you a free bottle of wine when you book a fee restaurant for the first night. Has anyone done this by booking this before you get on board? First time on NCL , I use this technique on Carnival to get a free bottle of wine...:) Any other inside tips for the fee restaurants would be great... or any other tips for NCL!

We have some OBC for the Norwegian Jade. We're also thinking of pre-booking an excursion and some specialty restaurants online.

Here's the question: if we book in advance online, does it allow you to specify that OBC be used? Or will it demand a credit card and instantly charge it to that?

OBC can only be used onboard the ship for things. You can't use it for per-reservation items. You have to use a debit or credit card for those.

DML

Or...if you want to take advantage of the Signature Trio dining. As I hear it, that is only available if you pre-book?

DML

Torn between wanting to pre-book some things online, but not sure I want my credit card charged, e.g. would be nice to have an option to choose OBC.

Also, may I pre-pay my gratuities online? This is for a booking made directly with NCL. Ok with paying by credit card for the gratuities. Or will I need to call NCL to do this since I didn't arrange it in advance?

If you prebook dining reservations, your credit card will be charged at time of booking. You cannot use onboard credit for this. It is best to wait and make your reservations when you get to the ship. Keep in mind, that only one-third of all dining times are even released for prebooking.

You can call NCL and prepay your gratuities.

Thanks to all. Glad to hear there will be time to restaurants book on the ship (good use for OBC) with the possible exception of Teppanyaki.

Not interested in the Trio dining package because it includes Papa's--went to Papa's in 2006 when the Jade was the Pride of Hawaii and didn't like it then. I think the Trio dining package is Cagney's (better filet mignon at Le Bistro from what CCers have told me--and filet is my thing), Papa's, and ... not sure what the third is.

Thanks to all. Glad to hear there will be time to restaurants book on the ship (good use for OBC) with the possible exception of Teppanyaki.

Not interested in the Trio dining package because it includes Papa's--went to Papa's in 2006 when the Jade was the Pride of Hawaii and didn't like it then. I think the Trio dining package is Cagney's (better filet mignon at Le Bistro from what CCers have told me--and filet is my thing), Papa's, and ... not sure what the third is.

Cagney's, LeBistro and the Italian restaurant.

Think you should give the Italian place another try if your last dining experience was in 2006. My husband and I are filet lovers and we greatly enjoy the ribeye at the Italian place. Also, the osso bucco.

Cagney's, LeBistro and the Italian restaurant.

Think you should give the Italian place another try if your last dining experience was in 2006. My husband and I are filet lovers and we greatly enjoy the ribeye at the Italian place. Also, the osso bucco.

Thanks jdvmd. We were really wanting to do Le Bistro, Teppanyaki's, and Moderno's on the Jade. Glad you have enjoyed Papa's--was that on the Jade or another ship?

Hey Mikeerdas. Looks like we are on same cruise. Didn't see you on the roll call. They are getting a meet and greet together. Would love for y'all to join us. Check out the May 18 Venice to Greek Isles and back to Venice Roll Call last page for info.

Archived